BBC Radio widget not working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by timmyb, Sep 17, 2005.

1. timmyb macrumors 6502

I have just set up my new iBook with (wireless) internet and am playing around with the widgets, including the BBC radio one. However this isn't working, the display appears to have two blue boxes with question marks on them, and there is no sound. What should I do?

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Click on the widget and 'Command (Apple) + R' to refresh. This might work.

Reinstall the widget if that does not work. Simply by downloading, osx will reconginise that the same widget exists and prompt you to replace.

If this does not work the only thing i can think of is the sever for BBC is done.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Make sure that the Real Player plug in is installed in your browser plug-ins.

If it's not there, the widget won't run.

4. timmyb thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I do this - I think it may be the problem.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It should be in your HD/Library/Internet Plugins

Also make sure you're running the latest version of Real Player - check from real.com not from hitting check on the current version since I know mine said it was up to date but there was a new version.

If you download and reinstall it, it will reconfigure itself and install the plug ins for you (it does quit your open browsers though) which might be the easiest option!

6. timmyb thread starter macrumors 6502

I have downloaded real player and installed it but the problem persists. I think there is something wrong with the plugin though. The icon for the other plugins is a cube, (similar to a lego brick,) but the icon for the real player plugin is a sheet of paper with a small arrow on it. Also rather than being described as a plugin, (under 'Kind',) it is described as an 'Alias'.

7. timmyb thread starter macrumors 6502

8. andysmith macrumors 6502

Have you rebooted since installing RealPlayer?

9. timmyb thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep - and now it works. :)

10. grobbins macrumors member

RealPlayer Plug-in is an alias that points to the plug-in inside of the RealPlayer application bundle. Select it and choose Get Info from the Finder's File menu to see where the alias is pointing to.

Be sure your copy of RealPlayer 10 is in the system-wide Applications folder, run RealPlayer, and choose Reset from RealPlayer's Help menu.

11. Diveactive macrumors newbie

Diveactive

get it working world wide .

on the widget turn it over to fantom gorilla go on the blog to Andy this is what he wrote It works .

In a nutshell: using RealPlayer streaming – the default mode – with BBC Radio Widget 4.03 may cause your computer to become unresponsive.

There’s an easy fix. Switch to Flash streaming, right now. Option-click the “i” button, and choose Flash. This will only work for national stations, though, and therefore you should avoid using regional and local stations on v4.03.