BBC story on G5, SJ, WWDC etc..

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dobbin, Jul 6, 2003.

1. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

interesting (if slightly negative) article on the BBC website here.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

i believe that a thread about the PC magazine thing already exists..but...

OMG WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?! ISN'T IT OBVIOUS EVERY HARDWARE MANUFACTURER LIKES TO TWEAK THEIR COMPUTERS SO THEIR COMPUTERS WILL PERFORM BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE'S?!

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Settle, über...

The article is pretty bad for a couple of reasons:
    - Ignores that Veritest was the one doing the benchmarks
    - Only puts the 1.6GHz machine's specs up
    - The "miniscule 3.5%" market share line is out of line

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

i will...3.5% doesn't sound quite right, but it's miniscule compared to microsoft's :(

5. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

are we comparing OS market share? because then i would agree, because I am sure you know that M$ doesn't make computers.

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Typical boring drivel. Whether it's Pro or Anti Apple the article was flat out boring. I learned not one new thing from this article. And I'll NEVER get the 90 seconds of my life back wasted :mad:

The G5 will be faster than PC in "many" areas. It will also lose in some areas as well. The point we need to be focusing on is the further evolvement of the OS and having Powermacs that are competitive with PCs. We have that our platform grows.

BTW..here's a challenge. I defy anyone to find a PC motherboard for ANY processor that offers what Apple offers for $300 or less.

It must have Dual Processors.
    Hypertransport use
    PCI-X
    SPDIF or 6 channel I/O
    Gigabit
    Firewire(400 fine)

Good luck. I don't think it can be done. nForce Mobos are close..but alas..Single Proc only. ;)

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

oops i was thinking OS...
    well even with hardware, apple still has a miniscule market share compared with gateway, dell, sony, toshiba, hp...

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Taken from MacNN Archives

Bloomberg reports that Apple had a 3.8% share of desktop sales in the retail market in January 2003. Apple was No. 5 in unit sales behind Compaq (32%), HP (31%), Emachines (14.3%), and IBM (7.8%).

Dell doesn't count because they're not retail. Gateways numbers in Retail are low because of their online presence...but then again so are Apples

Toshiba probably outdoes Apple in Laptop sales because that's their speciality. Sony..I doubt they have more Vaio Laptop sales than Apples Laptops