BBC survey: Iran, Israel, U.S. have most negative image worldwide; Canada best

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stella, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

BBC survey: Iran, Israel, U.S. have most negative image worldwide; Canada best

Mar 05 7:52 PM US/Eastern

LONDON (AP) - Israel, Iran and the United States are the countries with the most negative image in a globe-spanning survey of attitudes toward 12 major countries. Canada and Japan came out best in the poll, released Tuesday.
    The survey for the British Broadcasting Corp.'s World Service asked more than 28,000 people to rate 12 countries - Britain, Canada, China, France, India, Iran, Israel, Japan, North Korea, Russia, the United States and Venezuela - as having a positive or negative influence on the world.

Israel was viewed negatively by 56 per cent of respondents and positively by 17 per cent; for Iran, the figures were 54 per cent and 18 per cent. The United States had the third-highest negative ranking, with 51 per cent citing it as a bad influence and 30 per cent as a good one. Next was North Korea, which was viewed negatively by 48 per cent and positively by 19 per cent.

Canada had the most positive rating in the survey of 28,389 people in 27 countries, with 54 per cent viewing it positively and 14 per cent negatively. It was followed by Japan and France.

Respondents were also asked their views of the 25-member European Union; 53 per cent saw it as positive and 19 per cent as negative.

Britain, China and India were viewed more positively than negatively, while Russia had more negative than positive responses. Opinion on Venezuela was evenly split.

"It appears that people around the world tend to look negatively on countries whose profile is marked by the pursuit of military power," said Steven Kull, director of the University of Maryland's Program on International Policy Attitudes, which conducted the research along with pollster GlobeScan.

"Countries that relate to the world primarily through soft power, like France and Japan and the EU in general, tend to be viewed positively," he added.

Pollsters questioned about 1,000 people each in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Britain, Canada, Chile, China, Egypt, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Italy, Kenya, Lebanon, Mexico, Nigeria, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Russia, South Korea, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and the United States between Nov. 3 and Jan. 16. The margin of error in each country ranged between plus or minus 3.1 percentage points and plus or minus 4.9 percentage points.

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I just noticed he was from canada. The results of the survey do not surprise me though.

4. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Hells yea Canada!!!

I'm a little shocked that the numbers aren't as high as I thought that they'd be.

Guess I'll go back to my 51% hatred now.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hardly surprising ... if you look at the list of countries on which were voted it was clear that canada is going to win

6. Queso macrumors G4

I'm a bit surprised Japan came top. Normally they only make the news thanks to whaling or some other such story with negative connotations. Also, not to take anything from the Canucks, but I do wonder whether Canada would still have topped the table had Switzerland been one of the candidates.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I can just see the new slogans now..

"Canada. People like us!"

or

"Canada. We're basically just 'here'."

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, given our current "condition" you'd think people would hate us more than they do. I guess some of them can see the difference between our leaders and our people. Guessing I can't say the same about Iran.

I'm always reminded of Jon Stewart's old joke with stuff like this. A Canadian woman once asked him what Americans really think of Canada. The answer of course is that we don't. Until we need wood. Then, look out! :D :eek: ;)

10. Whiteapple macrumors regular

Whiteapple

I'm shocked Iran is in there.

Why is it in there? Because ****ing governments and media make it seem like Iran is full of extremists who want to take over the world.

I'm shocked. :mad:

On a side note, I think Switzerland would have scored quite high, had it been in there.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

country--negative--positive
    Israel-----56%-------17%
    Iran-------54%-------18%
    USA-------51%-------30%
    NK--------48%-------19%
    Canada---14%-------54%

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I want to move to Canada! Who's gonna sponsor me? :)

13. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be surprised if Switzerland did not do well on a poll like this - there are a lot of people that don't like what they did during and after WWII. Finland would kick a**. :D

14. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

As if winning a popularity contest were important. These survey's crack me up. Wonder what the pollsters would have found out if they asked Americans what they thought of the UAE, Kenya, Nigeria and some of the other countries listed there. They could even get extra points if the people polled could point those places out on a map! Lol!

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

It also depends on where you do the polling. I could probably get George Bush a 100% approval rating in some states. Although I don't really doubt the US has gotten a bad rap in recent years from how the Iraq war was handled.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And you would be wrong again.

As of a few months ago (the last time this 50-state poll was conducted), you could only find two states where Bush even tops the 50% approval rating.

17. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Thanks for the link. It's nice to know that even in a corrupted state such as RI, Bush's approval rating is the second lowest in the country. It would be intersesting to see his apporval rating In Wahington D.C.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

LOL. Thanks for the stats.