BBC World Cup Coverage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by samb, Jun 17, 2006.

1. samb macrumors newbie

Having problems watching the games live on the bbc website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/

Anyone got any ideas.

I using a mac book pro. i use the latest version of OS X and latest version of real player.

PLease help!!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What problems are you having? You have to provide far more detail of your problems so that people can help.

No probs here. Portugal v. Iran currently coming through fine on my G4 with Tiger.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    What kind of problems? Is it connecting at all?

Check that the real player plug in is in your internet plug-in folders. Occasionally, if you've done an update, it disappears so you might want to reinstall RP if that's the case.

I'm assuming that you're in the UK. If not, it won't work since you won't have a UK IP address.

It might be overwhelmed - it's been a little touch and go depend on the time of day/game

If you're connecting through an office or via a proxy server, the IT guys might have turned off the feeds.

4. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

No problems at all here.

Where are you based - I believe that the coverage can only be seen if you have a UK IP address because of licensing issues.

If you are in the UK, what kind of errors are you getting? Does it load at all? I'm not an expert, but if you give a few more details, I'm sure someone will be able to help. :)

Edit: wow, BV and Applespider, you are fast - there were no replies when I saw this topic!

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Even so real player sounds like the most likely problem (it's caused issues for me in the past...) Load real player and go to the real player menu then About real Player, check the version is: "Version 10.1.0 (412)"

If not try re-downloading it from real.com

Also which web browser are you using? If Safari's giving problems try downloading Firefox or Camino (you may well also want CamiTools to set the user agent to Firefox for Camino.)

Edit, damn you're all quick today ;)

Edit 2: it works fine for me on my PPC iMac.

6. samb thread starter macrumors newbie

basically the window opens but only shows a black screen.

says connecting in the bottom left but never changes.

can't be becasue ut us busy becasue i try everyday.:confused:

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Are you in the UK, the BBC won't let you watch if you aren't... It may be that the BBC thinks you aren't (if you are...) as your IP address may be weird...

8. samb thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i'm in the UK!!

so dunno what to do!:mad:

Just tried playing highlights from yesterdays game.

they didn't work either, but i watched them at home on the same laptop!!

must be an ip problem. I use ntl at home and BT at work.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Or at work, someone is blocking access to the streams in order to protect the volume coming over the network. If it works in one location and not the other, that's the most likely explanation.

10. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Perhaps it's been blocked by the company you work at, which seems quite possible if you can see it fine on the same computer at home.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5074406.stm