BBFC ban Manhunt 2 from UK release

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by BoyBach, Jun 19, 2007.

1. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/6767623.stm

Only the importers will win.

2. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sounds like stalking fun....I'll be buying this for the PSP(portable stalking)

Bless

3. Guest

Sky Blue

and with the Wii Freeloader being a sham, it's a bad week for UK Wii owners.

Importing a US Wii has always been the way to go.

4. macrumors Core

Dagless

Wouldn't importing a copy from France, or better still, Jersey work? AFAIK all European PAL games are pretty much the same save for the initial language settings.

*I haven't imported a game from mainland Europe.

Anyways. I want Manhunt 2 on the Wii. I bet that game is awesome is motion control :eek:

5. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not on the wii they wont, damn region locked machine ;) :D

In fairness the games sole purpose is to caused outrage, so it's done it. If rockstar want to keep pouring water down the hole - making gutter fodder gaming, then they are welcome to it.. but seeing as they aren't doing too well financially at the moment - they might want to actually start making 'games' rather than slasher crap.

6. macrumors 68020

If only this had happened 2 months ago, I would have had an excellent English final.

I dislike this banning business, any what so ever. Is this one much different from the first?

7. macrumors 6502

I'll tell you guys if it's any good :)

They said they've developed specific wii mote kills...nasty, but sounds interesting. Plus I'll be covered if I really do kill anyone...can blame the lifelike Wiimote actions and the video game :D

Paul

8. macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't understand how this can be banned, yet Jekyll can sit comfortably on BBC1 on a Saturday evening.

Are games marked higher because of their interactive nature?

9. macrumors 68000

Yes. You mentioned the probable reason why this was banned yourself - the control scheme. While pressing buttons to kill people might annoy JT and friends, I can imagine a lot more people being distressed at a game where you actually hack and slash at people

10. macrumors regular

i dont think the motion controls had anything to do with the banning of the game... if i am not mistaken, i believe that the the PS2 version is also banned.

I dont think that the games should be banned...i say let the marketplace decide and if people want to buy disgusting content let them do it. I mean, there are movies that are just as bad or worse that are shown in movie theaters...but that is just my two cents.

11. macrumors 604

zap2

Oh Snap....AO for use in USA(Adults only, 18 or older to buy, for sure stores will ask for ID, and Walmart, Target, and other stores won't even sell the game!)

http://kotaku.com/gaming/breaking/manhunt-2-rated-adults-only-270337.php

Thats crazy, first game for console that ever got this rating, minus GTA San Andreas..but that was for the Hot Coffee Mod, and was redone to get rid of it.

Also this is for blood and guts, GTA was for sex.

Needless to say, I'm eager to play this game on the Wii!!:)

12. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

They are only making people want the game more....sky rocket sales. I enjoyed the first one..not for the violence but the story and from what I read this one is more brutal(maybe thats why they didnt bring it to x360mPS3)

I'm really not into the gore but I am into the story of the game. I'm not thrilled about the ripping of balls kill.

Bless

13. macrumors 68020

Must be pretty damn violent if it's getting AO in the US and a ban from the UK entertainment board. I think the rating boards are just slightly paranoid at the moment, granted I have never played the first Manhunt.

Anyways, a nice image change for Nintendo if we see a Wii release, dontchya think? :D

14. macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I'm totally un-PC, and not much really bugs me, but Manhunt 2 is a little too much imho. The first one was kinda cool, created a lot of "AWWW DUDE!!! DID YOU SEE THAT ****?!?!?!" but the stuff i read you can do in the new one is a little over the top. Cutting off some guys balls with pliers using the wiimote? Maybe I'm *gasp* growing up?! :eek: *nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooo*

I know Nintendo wants to shed the 'kidz-only' image but hosting Hostel:The Game, is a weird way of doing it.

15. macrumors 604

zap2

They've finally gotten to you man!

16. macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

next thing you know im standing around the water cooler talking about those 'damn kids and their loud music' *ahhhh*

17. macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I don't wanna generalize, but it seems like the UK has always been less offended by things of this nature compared to the U.S.
    but now- banning manhunt 2, and earlier, the church being offended by a level in a video game. What's going on? :confused:

18. macrumors Core

Dagless

Best I can make of it-

Manchester Cathedral wasn't too keen (why o' why do folk keep forgetting the location of that, it's key to the whole dispute) on R:FoM because it's an FPS with a level based in the highest gun crime city in the UK.

As for Manhunt. I guess it's because of the number of violent murders that are rising in the cities. The numbers of stabbings, shootings or just plain old "a body was found" are really on the increase. Especially London with stabbings.

19. macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

The game was rated AO due to the Wii version's motion control.
    Using a stabbing motion in-game is apparently more violent than pressing a button....
    However, the rating is apparetnly going to cross over to the other versions as well.(PSP/DS)

20. macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I get the point that you are making, but the U.S has the highest crime rate in almost every category- kinda sad, either shows we don't care, or we have been desensitized to violence and crime.

21. macrumors 68040

takao

in germany Bioshock got a 18+ rating already (which means more difficult to buy) and manhunt very likely won't make it into the stores at all (getting confiscated and all

luckily i'm in austria where we always can pick up the games

22. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Rockstar Respond... by rubbing their hands in glee ;)

23. macrumors Core

Dagless

The plot thickens. Read in the paper today that part of the reason Manhunt 2 was banned was the killings inspired by Manhunt 1 a few years ago. I can see why it was banned now.

24. thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

But:

It's just a cop-out. The BBFC didn't want a fight with the 'moral' newspapers (I'm looking at you Daily Mail & Express).

25. macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

yes........another absurd attempt at adults trying to control what other adults do.