BBM coming to iPhone April 26!

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Rihanna, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors newbie

Rihanna

RIM had a Social Media conference today in Toronto, and my entire college business and marketing class was invited to the event. RIM's co-ceo Jim Balsillie revealed that they plan to bring BBM and "other services" to iPhone on April 26 via the app store. Major news networks are expected to pick up on this very soon! Balsillie also revealed that they plan to release an update to the app this summer which will take advantage of a new "notification system"!!!

2. macrumors G4

daneoni

Someone pass the salt. I hope it's true but...

3. macrumors 65816

JamesMB

The download server will be busy on April 26. :D There are a lot of people that want the functionality of BBM.

4. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

I had to google BBM. hope u guys r talking about the first definition: black berry messaging and not the second: big bowel movement.

5. macrumors 65816

JamesMB

LMAO...Yup BlackBerry Messaging.:D

6. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Same thing:D

7. macrumors P6

-aggie-

I thought it was Big Black Male. :D

8. macrumors demi-god

Maskusee

+ 1

9. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

After release maybe I'll finally understand why everyone loves BBM.

10. macrumors 65816

JamesMB

I think Autotext is the biggie...

11. macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if I can buy this or not:

-Why would RIM bring BBM to other platforms when it's a big reason people stick with RIM products? Unless they plan to charge a fee to use it or fill it with advertisements I don't see the business reason.

-Why would RIM slip this out in some informal presentation to a bunch of college students? This would be kept quiet until an announcement so they could control the story on their terms.

-I doubt RIM, one of Apple's competitors, is privy to what Apple is planning on doing in iOS 5 or any "new notification system".

12. macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

same here. We probably google too much. I even tried to google to see if they hold a social conference in Toronto today :D

13. macrumors G4

Chundles

1. BlackBerry Playbook will run Android 2.3 apps.
    2. BBM is moving to 3rd party platforms.

So, RIM has given up? No more advantages to going with a BlackBerry device.

14. macrumors 6502a

They will do it because of apps like Pingchat, and kik messenger who are eating in their pie... And i think the bbm app on the iphone will be a strip down version of the real bbm... So they don't take away the real experience from the blackberry devices...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

15. macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I'd happily pay $5 - $10 for BBM on the iPhone. For whatever reason, my text messages seem to have big problems with delivery/receipt. I've switched to WhatsApp for those friends I've managed to convince to download it, but that's a pretty small number still.

The delivered/read indicators in BBM would be a lifesaver for my work. With text and email right now I have no idea if someone has received my message, and when it's time-critical that's frustrating...

16. macrumors 65816

JamesMB

I agree, I bet it wont be the real deal...

17. macrumors 6502a

Google does it already... Why google maps would let apple use their map data base when they could keep it exclusivly for the android phones? Things have change... These companies want to be on all platforms they can be... And ios is a good place with 100million users...

18. GLS
    macrumors 6502

As a former Blackberry user, I can safely say that BBM is highly underrated for instant messenging from one Blackberry to another (or a group of other Blackberrys). The sent/received/read notifications are nice, and it is instantaneous---the ability to embed photos, docs, etc is great as well.

After switching to an iPhone, there were two things that I missed---a physical keyboard, and BBM. I'm over the keyboard...but I still miss BBM.

19. macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

What's wrong with just sending a text message...? :confused:

20. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

http://www.bgr.com/2011/03/03/exclusive-blackberry-messenger-will-launch-on-android-and-ios/

21. macrumors 65816

22. macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

That's a good one! April fool day is coming up:D

23. macrumors 6502a

Txt cost money buddy... You could bbm a friend from overseas and it wouldn't cost you a penny... With txt plan they charge you a arm and leg... Plus you have to exchange phone numbers to txt someone... Bbm uses pins... So you could give it to anyone as it's not related to your phone number but your device...

24. macrumors 65816

mrat93

25. macrumors 68020

sviato

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

They can potentially make money off of this. Charge $5 for the app then like $2-3 monthly for using their bis server

There are definitely people who would pay, I would

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.