BD=BS Resistance uses 17.75GB of padding

Discussion in 'Games' started by seenew, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I quietly put this into the other PS3 thread to avoid the rabid fans. Crazy isn't it! 17gb of filler.

Would it be awfully rude to laugh?

NO it wouldn't because they said they couldn't get it onto a DVD. The studio that made this went massively down in my books.

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have found myself laughing at the PS3 more than I really should. I think the hype Sony have brought to market is the reason for it. They really should of shut up maybe 2 years back. ;)

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Also, why is BluRay shortened to BD? Shouldn't it be BR?

4. stagecustom macrumors regular

someone was drunk at work and got the wrong acronym for Blue Ray i guess.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Nerp, actually BD is correct. It's short for "Blu-ray Disc".

I'm soooooooo glad Microsoft didn't wait for a next-gen disc format to release the 360. I mean, it's really awesome the way Sony is making use of it in their video games. :rolleyes:

6. wako macrumors 65816

Well this isnt a very surprising. Right now this is the first generation of games that are coming out for the system. When DVDs came out for the Xbox and PS2, it didnt immediately use the 4.7gb of space. Let us wait a year before we pass judgement on the ps3.

Right now, everything about the PS3 looks pretty weak. However, the same goes for the Xbox360 went it first launched, I really wondered why I bought mine when I got it. Now look at it, its having its glory days!

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Blu-Ray Disk, or summat. BD-ROM to be like CD-ROM (Compact Disk) and DVD-ROM (DigiVersi Disk), I guess...

Oh dear... game size != game quality. The point is that Sony were using things like this to "prove" that Blu-Ray is necessery and thus the smaller DVD9 that the 360 uses will be too small. This shows that it really ain't

8. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Has it crossed anyones mind that this might not be true? Read the Joystiq article - the only authority they have is some bloke on a forum. It's not been confirmed by anyone else.

But it wouldn't suprise me if it was true. From what I've read, there is nothing about Resistence which would suggest why it should take up more than a normal DVD. But I'm sure sooner or later some nice epic RPG will use the whole BluRay (whether that be due to half-arsed compression is another matter...).

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yeah that is very true. However, the worst case scenario is that games for both PS3 and Xbox 360 will have to be released on 2-3 DVDs for the 360 vs the PS3's one disk. Does it really matter? I mean you can only play a very small part of a game at any one time, right??

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No, it really doesn't matter. As long as multidisc games are designed intelligently so you don't have to switch disks but once every few hours or so, this should not be a problem... which sorta pokes holes in Sony's statement that giganto disks are "necessary".

11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Exactly. Resident Evil needed a disk swap halfway through the game on the 'cube and probably on other platforms too. It didn't detract from the game, if anything it added a kind of target like saying "I'm only on disk one right now". The time its taken for the average game to grow from single CD size to single DVD size has been quite long. Two DVDs should be more than enough for pretty much every game of this generation imo.

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I've heard that the Japanese 360 RPG Blue Dragon might come on THREE discs.

One thing they have to do: Make sure the main program is stored on all of the discs for a given game. If I've "graduated" to the second disc in a game, I should be able to start the game with that disc in the drive.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well yea, that is what happens on Resident Evil on the Gamecube. If memory serves the same thing happens in Metal Gear Solid too.

14. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

In Tales of Symphonia for the GC, it worked that way too.

15. Hobofuzz macrumors regular

I finally got the Wii today, and began playing the new Zelda.

And I thought "Damn, if Nintendo can make a game this long with just 1.5 gigs to work with (since it's just a GCN port), imagine what they could do with a full DVD"

The amount of data packed into a 1.5 gig GCN disc for Zelda is a tremendous argument against Sony thinking Blu-Ray is required.

16. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Nintendo have always been very good at space saving and efficiency and in fact limiting the amount of space available often leads to better written software and games because developers have to be more artful and efficient, just like in the really early games systems.

It still amazes me that Golden Eye 007 fitted on a 12MB ROM.

17. Hobofuzz macrumors regular

I'm really excited to see what Nintendo can bring to us now that they have some real breathing room when it comes to disc capacity.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Me too. I don't care what 3rd parties do, people used to this space and don't optimise as much. But Nintendo and their studios I'm interested in. An 8gb Zelda game? That'd be 5 or so times bigger than Twilight Princess, potential world could expand absolutely massively. haha. it's late for me.

19. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I think if they released a Zelda game that big my life in the real world would quite simply be forfeit!! Wouldn't stop me playing though!! :p