Be careful using P2P!

Discussion in 'Community' started by icetraxxg5, Aug 29, 2003.

1. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

OK I just started using Bittorrent and I have downloaded 3 movies so far, and I got a notice in the mail today from my ISP telling me to stop or else I'm in trouble. Wow I didn't think they would get me... of well, just giving a warning to the people that use this stuff regularly, I'm not using it again.

2. xpormac macrumors regular

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

4. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I think the ISP could care less about whether or not what you do is legal. As long as you pay the bill, they're happy. The reason that they're doing this now, is to keep from having to be dicked over by the RIAA, or the motion picture equivalent. They don't want to be swept up into legal battles, which cost them thousands, if not millions...

5. ebuc macrumors regular

Peer Guardian?

What's Peer Guardian?

6. xpormac macrumors regular

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Aint Peer-Guard Windows?

:-(

Anyway they were just asking to stop using so much bandwidth right?

Not MPAA eh?

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think it depends on your ISP, because I used to really be into P2P (not anymore I got sick of it and moved to the iTMS) and noone ever got mad at me.

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

some ISPs will do this to avoid liability, thanks to the RIAA your ISP is willing to infrige upon the little privacy you have. Luckily my ISP is too two-bit to even have the capability of monitoring bandwidth... i don't really do anything unlawful, i just don't want some 10th grade dropouts going over my choice in reading material :rolleyes:.

Check your TOS with them, i'm sure they covered their own asses, but it can't hurt to check. They need to mention that they may monitor activity, otherwise it's unlawful search and seizure.

pnw

10. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i used to run a KDX server on my university network. it was pretty private for a while, and then one of the last weeks of school i completely opened it up with no limits at all. with the fast connection, it quickly became popular, serving out my huge music collection, movies, and programs. i opened it on a friday and on monday i got an email from the network administrator to cease all file sharing activity because they noticed about 10gbs of traffic in less than 24 hours from my machine. he wrote part of the email personally saying that they were unable to determine what the nature of the files were because they seemed to be encrypted. then i remembered that there is an option in the KDX admin settings to encrypt transfer. KDX has about a 128bit encryption built-in! too bad after that i HAD to turn off my server and the network admins continued to watch my machine for the last couple weeks of school. i couldn't log in from the UNIX lab because of their stupid packets not allowing ANY traffic IN to my computer, other than port 80.

any way, the point of this rants is: the ISP and network admins don't like to see large amounts of bandwidth get sucked up and slow down the entire system.

11. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's a revenue generating mechanism, they "say" they are doing their best to fight this.

But it's extremely profitable for them to modify your TOS and fine your ass when you violate it.

Oh you SPAMMED/downloaded again, after the warning.

You'll probably still be a customer, but get a present in with the next bill.

13. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i use KDX mainly for that kind of stuff, because of the encryption. you don't want anyone snooping around in your stuff.

using P2P isn't so risky in Australia yet, at least i hope not. :eek: ;)

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

hmmmm...... I was just about to dl Visual Basic .net....

Im gunna download some songs off limewire or soulseek bc kazaa is being monitored heavily, and get a d/l of VB dling and thats all the downloading ima do for a long time :).

scem0

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

My ISP send a disruption packet to my computer's router that basically terminated the internet.

I called them and complained, we pay for the servervice, and if I can get a megabite connection I should atleast get Half of it each day: 12/GB daily

I though that was fair enough and they stopped and I've had no problem since.

Also the file I was downloading was UT2K3 Demo... I had it going from the web, P2P and FTP.

It was totally legal. Each download was varying alot.