Be careful with powerbooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by virus1, Aug 12, 2005.

1. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

If you are interested in buying a powerbook, be careful with your decision. If you mistreat it in any way, it is very easily damaged, making it look bad, and making its guts less reliable. If you do, get applecare, back up your data, and be careful with it. iBooks are much more durable.

2. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I have owned both iBooks and Powerbooks and I must say that I agree. I am, however, curious as to what sparked this post? Did you drop your powerbook or something :eek: ?

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Go get yourself a sleeve to protect your PowerBook... something like this. I just got mine today, and it protects my PB quite well when I'm carrying it in my backpack. (Scratches SUCK...)

4. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Be careful with powerbooks... I just have one thing to say - it's kind of hard NOT to be careful with something you paid $2000 for, lol!

I, too, and curious about the story behind this thread. :)

5. virus1 thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

oh.. well it has been through some rough times, with constant exercising of my applecare, and now that im selling it (in exchange for an ibook i might add), i thought i might remind others.

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You'd be surprised how careful you can be and STILL inadvertantly allow something bad to happen. One of my notebooks got a giant scratch on its case because I put it into my backpack WITHOUT the benefit of a protective sleeve... the end result was that I had to buy a replacement case and (eventually) got the scratched case painted (which is cool, but I wish it had never been necessary). An expensive lesson, to be sure.

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Everyone should take good care (read: baby) their book(s). The sleeve is the most practical and prudent thing to use for carrying. I've kept a Pismo500 in perfect working condition for 5+ years using a sleeve to guard against unexpected bumps, etc. I dropped my AlPB in an airport check-in counter a few weeks ago. It jarred loose the airport card, which I re-seated with no problems. No dents or dings to the body; much due, I believe, to the case and sleeve in which my PB was nestled. They're not made for abuse and neglect; but they can travel well and are sturdier in some respects than thought.
    X

8. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

I'm almost afraid to ask, but in what way are iBooks more durable? I should say, what aspect of the PowerBook's durability do you disapprove of? To be honest, I have always felt (in the two months I've had my PB) that it was extremely durable and very well constructed. You can at least tell when carrying it around that it feels much more sturdy and structurally sound compared to a Dell or other type of ??plastic?? laptop.

9. virus1 thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

thier shell is more durable and doesn't bend. It also doesn't scratch as easily in my opinion.

And, I do use my slip case while traveling, but after a long time, it is inevitalbe.

10. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

iBooks scratch more but powerbooks can dent... scary :eek:

11. adamjaskie macrumors member

My friend mutilated his Powerbook. While walking up the stairs in the dorm, his backpack came unzipped, powerbook fell out, hit a step, slid out of the sleeve, tumbled over the railing, bounced off the rail on the lower flight of steps, and landed corner-first on the cement floor below.

It still worked. Dented, scratched, mangled, but it still worked. Even the screen. The case was dented so much he couldn't put in the power adapter, and the CD slot was mashed shut, but he pried at it enough to charge it and used it until he had time to be without it for a while and send it in.

12. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

I almost cried during that story.