Beamer alternative for Windows?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by SeenJeen, Aug 26, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2009
    Beamer is brilliant because it can push any video format to my Apple TV...
    But is there a Windows alternative? Haven't quite found it yet... And iTunes is a real pain because I have to convert it to an accepted format.

2. macrumors 65816

Apr 17, 2012
    Destin, FL
    You weren't very clear of your needs, so I'm just guessing here; but have you checked into ( heard of ) AirServer and AirParrot?

We use those to emulate AppleTV features with Windows computers very successfully. Not as successful as our native Apple to Apple stuff, but pretty dern good for the price.
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2009

I'll explain what Beamer is: it pushes ANY type of Video to the Apple TV (meaning it probably converts on the fly)... Without having to waste time manually converting for use with iTunes. It works wonderfully on my Mac.

AirPlay mirroring (like AirParrot) isn't a good option because it has latency issues... Meaning skipped frames, and slower overall performance compared to native video steaming.

So, is there a Beamer equivalent for Windows that anyone knows of?
  4. macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2015
    PopCast ( is an alternative for Windows. It allows you to instantly stream your video files to your Apple TV without any file conversion. It works with all MKV’s and many other file formats such as AVI, MP4 and WEBM. PopCast does live conversion of the video file and streams directly to the Apple TV, similar to Beamer.

Disclosure: I am a co-founder of PopCast. I thought this comment is very relevant to the topic post and will help people.
  5. macrumors regular

Jan 28, 2008
    Hong Kong
    I'd recommend Airparrot. The new version does everything you need well.