bear attack again

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by virividox, May 25, 2004.

1. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
  2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

that's what bears do.... besides sleep and procreate. Hey, a guy's gotta eat.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I just can't even imagine why anyone would put their arm inside the cage of a wild animal. She is lucky that she didn't loose her life. :eek:

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Her arm should have been amputated above the neck. :rolleyes:

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Because is fun!!! :D

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It maybe, but there are just certain rules in life that are meant to be followed. As she found out there are serious consequences. :(

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

anyone see the story about the girl who lost her arm this past weekend when she reached in to the cage of her family's pet lion? (yes, pet lion, no, don't ask me how)

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Does anybody remember Dan Ackroyd, in an SNL skit, saying "never feed a marshmallow to a bear like this" while putting a marshmallow in his mouth and leaning his head forward? Some people really are that dumb.

9. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    to be perfectly blunt; they are behind steel bars for a reason

10. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Yes, but you have bigger holes between the bars for a reason too :rolleyes:

11. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

So they can breath? ;)

It's sad that she lost half of her arm, but if she's that dumb to do that, she deserved to not have half of her arm.

12. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    some of these people should be in the cages

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hate to sound cruel, but its not like she didn't deserve it. The bear didn't tear through the cage and bite her arm, so she instigated this incident herself.

14. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Dont get me started on how stupid people can be. Just talk to any Ranger with the Park Service or Forest service, or for that matter anyone that deals with tourists. I spent a summer in Yellowstone National Park working with the Rangers and I personally met some of the stupidest people on earth. Examples:

Picture a Bison (buffalo), 3000 pounds of unpredictable muscle with sharp horns. In early summer they shed their winter coats. Sometimes the hair is tangled and it dangles off the animal until all of it falls off. One day, a ranger came into the backcountry office, where I worked, and was fuming. It seems two college aged girls wanted a special souvenier and were just about to rip the dangling hair off a bison. Also, there were countless reports of people trying to pet them, scare them, push them with their car, and my favorite, place their kid on their back for a picture.

Another favorite, in Yellowstone, I am sure most of you know, there are all kinds of amazing thermal features. Geysers, hot springs, bubbling mud pools, and boiling lakes. There are always signs posted around the more dangerous features. Many of the boiling lakes are surrounded by land that is only few inches thick. This is very dangerous because it doesnt take much weight to break through the ground and fall into the boiling water. Many times, I or one of the rangers would have to yell at people that walked right to the edge of the shore, ignoring the signs. A lot of times they had their whole families with them.

Or how about the guy that wanted to get a picture of a bear "kissing" his little girl. He smeared honey all over her face attracted a black bear to the car and got his camera ready. Bears have rough tongues, like cats, so when the bear licked the kids face, he licked her skin off along with the honey. The resulting screams caused the bear to freak out and he mauled the kid.

That is only a tiny bit of the idiocy I have witnessed.

15. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that seems so stupid, that it wouldn't happen, I have a hard time believing that.

But agree, I have met some VERY, VERY stupid people.

16. bella macrumors member

OH MAN! SOME PEOPLES CHILDERN~ How stupid can a person be?

17. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

You would think that wouldn't happen, but it did. Believe it. Everything I posted above happened. The only thing I didn't witness personally was the little girl and the bear. That happened back in the 1920's or 30's. It is documented in various books and other literature found at the Old Faithful Visitor Center. Someone did get mauled by a bear when I was there, they were trying to get it into a "better" pose for their photo and they were harassing it. Finally it got annoyed enough that it came after the guy. It seems that many people think the animals they see in National Parks are tame and have been placed there for their own amusement. I can't tell you how many times I was asked, "where do you keep the animals at night?" and "thanks for putting the buffalo in the parking lot, we got some good close up pictures of it." The rangers used to joke that people go to National Parks to become part of the natural selection process.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

We can only hope. :eek:

19. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I witnessed this first-hand up in Mammoth last September. Two idiots wandering off the boardwalks, treading that delicate crust with ice cream in hands - I said to my girlfriend that if one of them fell through, I was going to do nothing but take pictures. There are signs all over Yellowstone that read "Your safety is not guaranteed" but some people just don't get it.

Was at the San Diego Zoo a few years back. You are not supposed to make eye contact with the primates because they will interpret it as a challenge. Well... I watched two more idiots pointing, making noises, making faces, tossing pebbles, etc. They managed to royally piss off a douc langhur.

20. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Not wanting to pay $2 per article but just last week this was in the front page, again in Albany, New York

BEAR IS OUT OF THE WOODS FOR NOW
    05/28/2004 Page: B1
    Albany Youghful garbage scavenger captured after standoff in tree ends Wallace the bear, who spent most of the day Thursday high up in a tree while city police and wildlife officers tried to coax him down, was captured about 11 p.m. with the help of a sharpshooter and two tranquilizer darts.

Complete article. 1 of 36.

http://www.timesunion.com/archives/...DBLIST=al04&SORT=d:h&NITEMS=25&qtype=q_string

Yeah, I'm not paying 2 bucks per article :eek: