Beat GOW on "Hardcore"

Discussion in 'Games' started by ericsthename, Dec 18, 2006.

1. ericsthename macrumors regular

Here's a thread for all the XBOX'ers on MacRumors who have 360's:

I beat GOW on Hardcore tonight, the second time I played the game through. The game launched in Vancouver a day later than in the US, so I read the reviews before I bought it which told me that the single player campaign wasn't long. For that reason I decided to play it for the first time on Normal and then play it again a couple weeks later (after finals) on Hardcore.

Have many of you played the game through on Hardcore? I found that the greatest difference between the two was the fact that checkpoints were much harder to obtain on Hardcore. The game would benefit, in my opinion, from a user controlled save procedure when on harder difficulties. I just found that I got really frustrated in a few spots when I would die JUST before obtaining the next checkpoint, and have to replay an extended section of the game several times over.

I know that it's not supposed to be easy, I just wonder if anyone else got frustrated at times with this format.

Has anyone played much on Insane? I guess my brother and I will play that when he's done his semester.

2. Spartacus macrumors member

I've beat the entire game on Insane in single player, but for the last boss. I had to go Co-Op to beat him on Insane. Fighting that guy was the only moment when I thought the game was actually 'insanely' difficult. As with any FPS when you get to higher difficulties, you just have to go slow and be careful. The harder the difficulty the more the game turns into a stealth and sniping endeavor. I prefer to play games on the hardest difficulties from the moment I've learned the controls because I like that type of gameplay and, of course, the challenge.

In regards to the saving thing, I guess it is a personal preference. In games like Doom III where you can save any time you want, I get paranoid and save after I clear every room and I find myself never dropping below 80% health and full ammo because if I miss too many shots I can always just reload until I play the room perfectly. Next thing I know the game is over too quickly and I still have full health and ammo. So it depends. I like the checkpoints (like in Halo and GoW) because they prevent me from becoming obsessive with saving, but if there's going to be checkpoints at least let us skip the cut scenes after viewing them once!!!!! (I'm looking at you GoW and CoD3...)

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Hehe, reminds me of Splinter Cell... F5! F5! F5! F8! F5! F5! :p

4. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I've beaten it on Casual and Hardcore and I just got to Act 3 on Insane.
    Haven't had any problems with checkpoints, really. The game is certainly more difficult on the harder difficulties, and there's been a few points where it took me longer than on Casual to beat them because I died a few times, but overall...not too bad. Excellent game, great difficulty balance IMO.

29 Cog Tags though for me...sheesh I wonder which one I left behind. :rolleyes: Thought I got all of them until I realized I was still missing one.

RAAM wasn't hard on Hardcore, from the videos I've seen of him on Insane (with NismoJoe beating him both single player and also in 29 seconds on co-op), RAAM looks pretty tough, but certainly not unbeatable. I look forward to the challenge of Insane RAAM single player. ;)

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I have actually finished the game on Insane. When you do, you get a new gamerpic unlocked:

[​IMG]

I also have all 30 COG tags. At Insane level, the combat is, at points, really insane, particularly when you are being swarmed by wretches (the exploding kind are the worst). A couple of hints:

1. At Insane difficulty, start thinking about carrying around a shotgun if you haven't been already. Shotties are great for taking out enemies who get too close to you.

2. Stay under cover as much as you can. At Insane, it doesn't take much to kill you.

I did go through the story three times, first at Casual, then Hardcore, then Insane, so by the third pass, I was familiar with each situation.

6. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Congrats clayj :)
    It helps but in some cases it didn't matter when I was playing through. I swear it took me forever to pass the Imulsion Factory part (on Hardcore) where the Theron Guards first appear. I kept getting Torque Bow'd from afar and I was playing the level reeeeaaally casual and slow paced. I'd get far and kill many of the enemies and then soon enough, either eat a Torque Bow and die or a Grunt would sneak around and gib me with the Shotgun. And of course the AI controller partners aren't any help. :D

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

More stuff to remember:

1. Your AI partners CANNOT DIE. (Except in cut scenes where their deaths have been predetermined.) So if one of them goes down, leave 'em until it's safe to do something about it.

2. Killing enemies at long distance is ideal. The Torque Bow is powerful, but you have to get out of cover too long for it to be safe. The Longshot (sniper rifle) is my favorite weapon in the game, and I'm pretty good at headshots against CPU Locusts. (Playing against other people is entirely another matter.)

3. Occasionally, you do have to expose yourself to enemy contact in order to draw them out. Sometimes I will run in just far enough to get them to come out, and then I pull back to cover and let Dom (or Baird, or Cole) do some of the dirty work. Remember, they can't get killed, but YOU can.

8. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Oh man, the game makes me wet my pants. I know its a kind of stupid thing to say about a game, but hell, I'm playing at the moment totally ******** myself. Great game tho.

9. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

This dear fellow is helping me through casual :eek: I'm not so good at shooters. Thanks Clay :D

10. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

I have to agree... I love getting headshots against locust!

11. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

A friend and I beat it on casual and hardcore co-op. I tell you, co-op is a great way to play this game. A ton of fun, and very intense. After the new year we're taking a crack at it on insane, but not before we finish F.E.A.R. hopefully. FEAR's been a bit underwhelming, to tell you the truth. Too may generic enemies/industrial environements and not enough scares. I feel like I'm playing through the boring parts so we can get to the good stuff, as opposed to the game being continuously full of good stuff, ala GoW.

12. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I've finished the game on hardcore and am through the third act on insane. I find that with insane, it really helps to have an actual real person to play with because they can revive you. It seems like we will kill a couple guys, one of us dies, then the other revive, then we repeat that through the game. I haven't played it on insane in a long time because I keep convincing my friends to get the game and they get stuck so I have to help them out, most of the time they are playing it on casual. I don't mind though, co-op in this game really is my favorite part. But that will also get me the Dom achievements so it's not all a loss.

13. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

Arr harr,

A couple old friends from high school got back from their out of town universities the other day, so we got together for an old-tyme vid fest.

Because they hadn't played the game yet, I played thru with them on Co-op and we beat the game on casual in an afternoon. Since that was my 3rd time through, I think I'm ready for INSANE now... haha

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

15. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Ditto :eek: :eek:

16. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I'm playing on the casual level, last chapter. I'm running from the Berserker, in that building with all the plants, then my Xbox fried. M$ is sending it back next week but I'm in GOW withdrawal. (shakes uncontrollably)

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Hate to break it to you, but that's not the last chapter. If you're in the Conservatory with the Berserker, you're about midway through Act 4. There's still quite a bit of tough action left in Act 4, and then Act 5 ramps it up a bit more. ;)

18. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Aw, crap. That's where I am, the Conservatory. This game had me fooled once already when when I got out of the caves and detonated the Resonator, I thought I was done.

19. iRhyknow macrumors member

iRhyknow

I'm at RAAM on casual and can't seem to beat him. I'm begining to get frustrated with him, and will probably move to R6, Viva Pinata and my Wii for a few weeks. :eek:

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Clues for RAAM (in InvisiText):

1. Co-op play is much easier than trying to bag him yourself... I did it by myself on Casual and Hardcore, but had to team up with another player for Insane.

2. You have to get the Kryll to scatter away from RAAM before you can actually damage him. Think grenades, torque bow. Then headshot him with the Longshot.

3. A shotgun does wonders against RAAM up close.

4. STAY IN THE LIGHT. Kryll will kill you quickly if you leave the light. And stay away from the machinegun... there's no light there.

21. savar macrumors 68000

savar

What do the cog tags get you? I read somewhere that you get something for every 10 tags...I only found 9 when I played through the game so I never found out what the reward is.

The RAAM guy was pretty hard for me -- on casual. It took me a while to figure out his weakness, and the AI teammate is sooo stupid. He never takes cover, whether I tell him to defend or attack, and gets killed in about 5 seconds. He's mostly useful for distracting the guy for a few seconds while I run by.