Beats CEO Jimmy Iovine Recently Met With Apple Executives About His Subscription Music Service

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 5, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple executives met with Beats Electronics CEO Jimmy Iovine in January to discuss a potential partnership with Beats' announced music subscription service called "Project Daisy". CEO Tim Cook and SVP of Internet Services Eddy Cue reportedly expressed interest in the service's "business model and its rollout plans" according to Reuters.

[​IMG]
    Iovine pitched Steve Jobs on a subscription music service a decade ago, but Jobs felt the prices record companies were charging were too steep and would eventually come down.

There have been rumors for nearly five years about Apple developing a subscription music service, though more recent reports have suggested that Apple is aiming to release its service sometime in 2013.

Bloomberg reported in October that Apple was aiming for a first quarter launch, but record labels have suggested that negotiations were hung up over licensing fees.

Article Link: Beats CEO Jimmy Iovine Recently Met With Apple Executives About His Subscription Music Service

2. macrumors 6502

tbrand7

wow. The 2 tech companies that are the best designers in the industry are working together...

this made my day!

3. macrumors 6502

Beats?? FFS. :rolleyes:

4. macrumors regular

In future news, "Apple to announce music subscription service in 2014?"

5. macrumors 65816

Beats are in the same category as Apple ----> Overpriced electronics.

6. macrumors regular

Apple: We have now integrated Beats into the:p iPhone and decided to sell for an affordable price of $649 ........................ with a 2-year contract

7. Fatalbert, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

macrumors 6502

You mean Beats aren't really made by Dr Dre? My heart is broken :(

Just kidding. I don't even know or care who Dr Dre is. All I know is that I'm not going to pay $200-$400 for headphones ever. Think of what else you could buy for $200... including 10 pairs of good headphones.

----------

*reads signature*
    :confused:

8. macrumors 68020

Squilly

This music subscription market is becoming annoyingly saturated...
    On another note, I wonder if the service will be as bad as the headphones they offer.

9. macrumors 6502

Hey, they're not bad unless you factor in the price. Actually, even then, they're not bad; they're HORRIBLE.

10. macrumors 6502a

Not a fan of Beats, but I do like the idea of an Apple music subscription service. It would make it easier to discover new music and I'd probably buy more music from iTunes.

11. macrumors 65816

Confused about what?

12. macrumors 6502a

3N16MA

Tim most likely met with Jimmy because of his ties to the music industry. He is the founder of Interscope Records and chairman of Interscope/Geffen/A&M Records. Beats has nothing to do with it.

13. macrumors 6502a

Personally, Apple missed the bandwagon with this whole paid subscription thing.

14. macrumors 6502

XM radio?

15. macrumors 6502

Offer exactly what Spotify does but for cheaper and I'll be interested.

16. macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

My HTC rezound...beats and more ppi than an iPhone 5!

lol but it would be hilarious if they actually integrated beats audio in the iPhone. Another excuse to charge more!

17. macrumors 68000

As long as Beats headphones aren't packaged with Apple products...

18. macrumors 68000

\-V-/

I hope you're being sarcastic. My 80 dollar Grados take a crap all over his overpriced Beats.

19. Henk Poley, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

macrumors regular

I'd much rather have Apple integrates the Dirac HD audio filters into their hardware, and have Dirac Research AB calibrate a few dozen common headphones and in-ears.

For that matter, Apple should ship the VSONIC VC02 with their products, with microphone and volume clickers. Best cheap in-ears.

20. japanime, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

macrumors 65816

japanime

Edit: I deleted my original comment. I poked a little fun at Iovine, but shouldn't have. The guy has had an amazing career; he can dress however the heck he chooses.

21. macrumors 6502

No, because no self-respecting person would be seen with Beats.

22. macrumors 6502a

a0me

Not many good pair of headphones for $20. I hear that Sennheiser's HD 485s and JVC Flats are pretty good for the price range, but I don't think they can really compare with the Beats by Dre set (I don't think you need to spend $300 for a good set either. I'm really happy with my Sennheiser PX 210 BT that I got for less than half that)

23. macrumors regular

There are the $30 Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, not $20 but still quite cheap. And the $15 Koss KSC75 apparently come close in sound quality.

Anyone looking for headphones should check out this massive review. Search for "(S1) Summary (The short version)" on the page for an overview table.

24. Codyak, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

macrumors 6502

I love using my Audio Technica. When I worked at BBY forever ago, the Beats just didn't compare at any level, but people seemed to still flock to them despite my advice. :confused:

25. macrumors 6502a

I was going to post, but I see you've already done it for me. Thank you!:cool: