Beats Expands 'iBeats' Trademark to Cover Digital Music Downloads, Streaming Music

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 6, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Beats has had a trademark on the term "iBeats" for several years, and has produced iBeats in-ear headphones in collaboration with Monster, but recently, the company filed a new application to expand the iBeats trademark to include new music-related uses.

[​IMG]
    Initially covering only audio video equipment such as headphones, clothing, music performances, and various advertising methods, the trademark has now been expanded to also encompass areas such as broadcasting, social networking, digital music downloads, and streaming music.
    Beats Electronics filed the new application on April 25, likely at a time when it was in talks with Apple over an acquisition. It is unknown why Beats has expanded its iBeats trademark, but it is possible that the company has plans for new products and services under the name.

Apple officially announced its $3 billion purchase of Beats Electronics on May 28, and the deal is expected to be finalized during the fourth fiscal quarter. The acquisition includes both the Beats hardware business, which encompasses its lineup of headphones, and the Beats Music streaming service.

Article Link: Beats Expands 'iBeats' Trademark to Cover Digital Music Downloads, Streaming Music

2. macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Sounds like the iBeats could replace my broken earbuds, definitely going to look into this before wasting money again on Apple's crappy earpods.

3. macrumors 6502a

So you'll replace them with Apple's crappy iBeats?

4. macrumors member

Doesn't make sense to mess with the main brand name. Also, please no Siri command related jokes with regards to "iBeats on/off" etc.

5. macrumors regular

Maybe its just my mind but I'm not so sure that calling your product iBeats is so great.

6. macrumors 6502

I hate to be that guy but can we really expect constant beats on MR now? :confused:

7. macrumors member

iCant believe they would consider that a real trade mark!

8. macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Colour me iShocked!

9. macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Hmm, just wondering, what makes you believe those would be crappy too?

10. macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

I love these beats stories because they make so many users upset

11. macrumors 68000

So at what point will it be not cool to stick an "i" in front of everything?

Seriously it's getting tiring apple
    iPhone iPad iBook
    iBoring

12. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

Reminds me of back when that one company came out with this.

[​IMG]

13. macrumors 6502

mejsric

i is 100x better than S (same)

14. macrumors 68030

MrXiro

iBeats by Chris Brown. :p

15. AngerDanger, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014

macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

Introducing: iS

[​IMG]

Just what iS iS? It's the ultimate internet Something, and it runs really fast. It can reach up to (or more than) 4! Which is over twice that of its competitors. It's also intuitive, innovative, and incandescent!

16. macrumors 6502a

The fact they'd be made with Beats

17. macrumors 68030

Here we go, I wonder when all the rebranded stuff will come out for Apple and how soon

18. macrumors member

Wild Warg

Hahahah!! Yes...you are spot on. It's hilarious reading about it. Everyone has a panic attack followed by a tantrum.

19. macrumors 6502

This more than anything. Been getting a lot of good laughs from this site over the last few weeks, haha.

20. macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

Wow the plastic and cheap molding of parts in that article picture make the headphones look like $5 knockoff headphones. Even the earpods don't look as bad =/

21. macrumors 65816

WTF is that? A Transformers version for a ear phone? Here comes Beats fan boys telling me I am a racist but I told you so Apple is going Ghetto and mainstream crap.

22. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

Transformers is definitely both ghetto and mainstream.

23. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

Acquiring Beats may well turn out to have been a great move; continued appeal to a new generation of buyers.

Too many companies have met their, if not demise, certainly 'downward slide' by becoming 'stale', and rigidly adhering to what they believed was the magic formula which got them there, without willing to adapt to, or even realizing, a gradual but unstoppable shift in their target demographic.

24. macrumors member

Wild Warg

As I've always said: This is a great move for Apple. Can't wait to see what happens next!

25. macrumors 6502

I think I figured out how they came up with the name 'Beats'