Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Three times I've returned them now due to faults, it's like their refurb staff don't even check them. First pair kept cutting out, second had all loose hinges and button, third made a whining noise and finally the forth seems to have no issues.... At least for now but the build of the headphones is so cheap.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Get Sony for beats like sound for less or Bose for noise cancellation. They won't look as good as beats though.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Get Sony for beats like sound for less or Bose for noise cancellation. They won't look as good as beats though.

I have Sony headphones (MDR-10RBT) and they sound really good. Not like Beats. But I also use an AudioEngine D1 DAC. They also look much better than Beats. I hate the way Beats headphones looks. They look like toys.

charles2660

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2016
Three times I've returned them now due to faults, it's like their refurb staff don't even check them. First pair kept cutting out, second had all loose hinges and button, third made a whining noise and finally the forth seems to have no issues.... At least for now but the build of the headphones is so cheap.
Try Logitech headphones, this is best ever. This is for general purpose so you can save money.

If you want to make good music, don't use beats, it's just high priced candy, that is bad for your productions, instead get a pair of Sennheiser, Sony, or Bose headphones. There are others such as AKG, Behringer, Audio-Technica, that have been recommended to me but as I've never used them I cannot vouch for them. Logitech imo has become the off-brand everything, your mileage may vary greatly with Logitech.

If you spend at least $100 on one of the first three brands I told you about, you will not be disappointed, if you are an audiophile look more towards the $200-300 range. I have a pair of Sennheiser 280 HDs and they are great, cranked out some good tunes from me, but they aren't the best all around. It's not just about the name brand of the headphones either.
You need to look at the Equalizer built into the headphones, because not everyone will be hearing your stuff through those exact headphones.
Also take a hearing test so you know your deviation from the baseline that you want others to hear.

Even Jesus wept when Apple bought Beats.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
Beats are very stylish. If that's your goal then sure, they're fine. For any sort of audio production they're mediocre and inaccurate at best.

As an entry level, I recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. I use them as my day to day headphones. Built super well, very comfy, and can be a good entry point if you're interested in doing any sort of audio work. They're easy to find under $150 too.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Beats are very stylish. If that's your goal then sure, they're fine. For any sort of audio production they're mediocre and inaccurate at best.

As an entry level, I recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. I use them as my day to day headphones. Built super well, very comfy, and can be a good entry point if you're interested in doing any sort of audio work. They're easy to find under $150 too.

I bought the M40x and honestly they're more or less identical if you're coming from Beats and they'll be a little cheaper. But, of course, if you're coming from Beats you can well afford to spend the extra money. :D I wouldn't define them as audio-work headphones though, since they're closed back and more bass-y; you can get better reference class models for the same price bracket.

....if you want a really clear soundstage go with AKG. I love love love love my pair of K240 MKII. You can the hear tears of Itzhak Perlman's Strad.

qawes

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
You cannot compare them, but try a pair of Grado's and see how much they work for you :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.