Beats Tones Down the Bass With its New Solo2 Headphones

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 29, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following the announcement that Apple was acquiring Beats Electronics, the audio accessory company is not slowing down, announcing a new version of its most popular set of on-ear headphones. The new Beats Solo² offers a new physical design and improved acoustics that promise to deliver "a wider range of sound and enhanced clarity."

[​IMG]
    An early review from Engadget suggests the new cans tone down the bass, providing a "more balanced" sound than other Beats headphone models that often are criticized for their bass-heavy sound.
    Besides the improved audio quality, the Beats Solo² has a sleeker, more polished design that makes the headphones comfortable to wear, says The Wall Street Journal.
    Now that Apple is acquiring Beats, these Solo² headphones may be among the last models released by Beats as a standalone company. Going forward, Apple will oversee the design and marketing of Beats' future products. As part of this transition, Beats will sever its long-term relationship with design firm Ammunition, which is responsible for the design of the Beats' current lineup of headphones and speakers.

The new Beats Solo² headphones are available now for pre-order from Beats' website and will arrive in retail stores beginning June 1. Pricing for the model remains the same, with the Solo² costing $199. It is available in a variety of colors including pink, blue, gray, white or red.

Article Link: Beats Tones Down the Bass With its New Solo2 Headphones

2. macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

In before MacRumors has turned into "BeatsRumors" claim in 3... 2... 1... :rolleyes:

3. macrumors newbie

So are we going to have news posts about these crappy products all time now that Apple have bought them?

4. macrumors 6502a

chirpie

So they'll change the look and sound of the products?

Why?

Isn't one of the ideas behind buying a company so you can acquire what made them "special" in the first place?

Out of all the things I didn't like about the brand, the appearance was something I actually didn't have a problem with...

5. macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

6. macrumors newbie

7. macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

The Engadget reviewer said they were uncomfortable to wear, so mileage may vary. Fit is very personal, however.

8. macrumors G3

roadbloc

Chances are, it'll suck just like the last ones.

9. macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Hmmm. The timing of this release seems like a strategic alignment with the acquisition becoming official. Doubt Apple engineers had anything to do with this model, but wouldn't be shocked if the release is aimed to target listeners of genres where bass is less emphasized.

Forget pleasing the audiophiles though. They hate everything.

PS -

Sennheiser = German
    Bang & Olufsen = Danish
    Bowers & Wilkins = English
    Spotify = Swedish

Apple = American
    Beats = American

Perhaps that played a role as well for Apple.

10. macrumors 601

Great. I completely forget we'll now be getting "rumors" and articles on Beats products. :mad:

11. macrumors 65816

djtech42

Did Apple tell them that boosting the bass isn't what makes good headphones?

12. Cooee!, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014

macrumors member

Cooee!

I actually think beats headphones look great.

Edit: For me, they sound great too. Can't wait for their future products under Apple

13. macrumors 65816

DTphonehome

The sound has a lot of room for improvement. The looks are nice, but Apple has their own design ethos and there's no reason they should use Beats' design house.

14. macrumors 68040

D.T.

One, two, three and to the fo'
    Dialin' back the bass before they're in the Apple sto'

15. macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

Still nowhere near as good as Sennheisers that cost 1/4 of the price.

16. macrumors 6502

attila

That doesn't sounds good as a review of headphones.

As expected from Beats, I guess. I still can't get over the acquisition.

17. macrumors 6502

truettray

My number one gripe with Beats are their unbalanced sound quality... I don't care if my headphones look like these [​IMG]
    I just want them to sound amazing.

18. macrumors regular

sparky1499

I see you wearing Beats headphones then I know you know nothing about headphones...

19. macrumors regular

Now that everyone knows how expensive they are, I might consider buying one. The sound is of lesser importance.

20. macrumors member

Call me crazy, but why is it necessary to spend hundreds of dollars for headphones? When did this become the trend? I get it that people want a quality listening experience, but the sheer number of these headphones on the market makes me wonder when this all happened.

If you had told me five years ago about a pair of $200 headphones, I would have said "good luck selling those," but it seems they're all over the place now, so apparently people buy them.

As for me, I'm quite content with my Apple earbuds, thank you. :)

21. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Beats design house will no longer be working with the company.

http://www.ammunitiongroup.com/work/1922-2/

I think Apple should use Beats to create a downmarket sub-brand that has its own unique styling and that's maybe more colorful/fun than the Apple brand. Use the Beats brand to create a cheaper smartphone for emerging markets.

22. macrumors regular

atticus27

I'd rather have in-ear headphones. Over the ear ones are to big, to take to the gym. Beats knows how to market though. They have, so many people willing to pay $200+ for headphones

23. macrumors 65816

Does audio quality come in to it?

Normally, when travelling I can hold off that 'I don't want to live in this world any more' feeling until I'm actually on the plane and browsing the digital cat litter boxes and climbing-gear clad plastic squirrels in the SkyMall catalogue... Last time, however, I only made it as far as Dixons at Heathrow before I noticed that all the headphone displays prominently featured a mirror.

Its pretty clear that audio is not the top priority when people are choosing headphones.

24. macrumors 6502

Godzilla71

Tim in the negotiations .. yeah, so about that heavy bass in your headphones....

25. macrumors 65816

I don't know what people's problem with Beats is, I own a pair of the Solo HD's and they are brilliant, very durable and the sound is great. Yea they are bass heavy but they also work great with other types of music, I listen to all different types of music and I love Beats.