Discussion in 'iPod' started by Appler8, Nov 3, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Oct 14, 2011
    Are studio beats worth it ? Everyone at my school has them and they are quite stylish:D
  2. macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2009
    They're a ripoff. As headphones they're not bad, but for their price you can get much much better quality. They do look cool, but that's not what headphones are for. If you get a half-off deal or something then maybe consider them (provided that they aren't fakes, Beats are very popular with knockoff-makers).

I'd advise buying something else unless you have so much money that you don't care what you spend it on (which you probably don't else you wouldn't have asked about them and just bought the first place).

TL; DR: No, they aren't worth it.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Agree with the poster above. Audio quality wise they are not worth their money, but if you want to use it as fashion accessory to look cool then probably.
  4. macrumors 6502

Dec 16, 2008
    London, UK
    Beats: EQ'ed to have heavier bass.

that is all.
  5. macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2009
    Just because everybody has no taste in good sound doesn't mean you have to too. Free yourself from they "hype" and "style". You can get better products for half the price. I myself hope to be getting some Ultrasone's :cool:

Think of it this way. Those cheap android phones everybody loves to hate here...... They now come with? Yup Beats. :eek:
  6. macrumors 68040

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Cool looking headphones for half the price... Sony XB700.

I had the XB500 originally they have bit more bass oomph than the XB700 but the mids are drowned out... pop and rap are fine but rock is terrible. XB700s are well balanced... bass heavy and my favorite headphones of the 20 or so pair that I own.
  7. macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2009
    For similar sound to the Beats at a fraction of the cost, look at Audio-Technia M50
  8. macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2009
    They're just headphones with too much bass. I suggest buying other brands.
  9. macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2010
    The Beats don't have that great of sound quality..... But more important is the durability on them are the worst, both on the ear buds and the over ear style. This is such a shame because Monster the company who makes them makes excellent quality audio cabling.... Not going to pay $200 for a pair that will break in less than 6 months.
  10. macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2009
    No, Monster makes cable that are more of a rip off than their headphones. You may want to read this. If anything Beats are better value for money than Monster cables.
  11. macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2011
    My brother has the solo version and while they look cool I prefer Bose.
  12. macrumors regular

Nov 15, 2010
    V-Moda is another brand to throw into consideration.

I had beats solo's. they had songs they sounded good on and others they didn't. Would i buy them again? if i had the best buy employee accommodation again, haha. I think i paid about $60 for them.
  13. Contributor

Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    I've had the Bose IE6 and the Sennheiser CX95 and both are far better than the Beats, which seem, from what audiophiles say, to be a typical triumph of marketing hype over actual audio substance.
  14. macrumors 6502

Nov 6, 2011
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    They sell those things at a crazy price, targeted primarily at an audiance whose primary consideration is "do these look cool" and is the bass mind-numbing enough. For the money there are far better headphones out there with a much more balanced and well rounded sound experience.
  15. macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2009
    116th & Broadway
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

For headphones: Bose QC15 - absolutely amazing.

For earphones: Klipsch S4i - Cheap ($60!) and best sound for under $200.
  16. macrumors 68020

Nov 5, 2009
    If you're looking for that midbass enhancement that the Beats provide, there's nothing wrong with it. Contrary to what others in the thread might try to tell you, there's nothing wrong with preferring a coloration in sound-- not everybody has to be a purist and seek out the flattest response possible. And frankly when it comes down to it, a flat headphone will never produce the type of bass that flat speaker setup will, regardless.

If you want a sound signature similar to the Beats line, but with a more hi-fi sound, look into the Ultrasones. The 580 in particular focuses on midbass impact, but has the speed and detail to back the midbass up as well. The beats do not.

The M50s are a nice option, but in no way do they provide the same midbass impact.

I quite enjoy my pair of Denon D2000s as well for their bass enhanced signature, but they're not ideal at all for portable use. The Denon's styling blows the Beats' styling out of the water too. It's like comparing a Lancer Evolution with aftermarket wal-mart products to a Mercedes Benz. Cheap plastic crap compared to a very well reserved and appropriate luxury item.
  17. macrumors 6502

Nov 2, 2006
    I second this. I've been using QC20 since it came out and recently switched to a QC15 using Bose's trade-in program. I use it on a daily basis and 'never' get on a plane without it. I haven't tried out the Beats in person but I've been very satisfied with my QC15.

I've been looking for some earphones myself and I've read lots of good stuff about these too :)

One note about Beats Tour with Control Talk. I just sent my first pair in for replacement and it'll apparently take 3 weeks to get it back. After just a month of light usage, the wiring around my CT module tore and became unusable. It's ridiculous how fragile it is. My friend went through 3 pairs and is on his 4th one - I must say that it sounds great, but the build quality is terrible. He luckily bought one from Best Buy and got the warranty for it, so he's been going in and out of his BBY using his warranty each time it breaks. I'm now sure how the build quality of the Studio is like, but if it's anything close to the Tour...I'd say I'd recommend against it.
  18. macrumors 68000

Aug 14, 2011
    I'm fine with my Sony headphones, they do the job. I don't want to pay more then $50 for something I don't use everyday.
  19. macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2008
    I can't believe how much these head phones sell just because it has "by Dr. Dre" on the cover. You could get better head phones for half the price.

Not to mention Monster is one of the most deceitful companies out there (the company that makes Beats).
  20. macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2011
    i have beats studio and i love'em, their sound is great, i don't know what other people expects more or what can the other headphones offer what these can't.. but i also think that its price is high because it is hip and stylish.. but that was just the point i was after.. :)
  21. macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2007
    Westerly RI
    I also have Beats Studio and LOVE them! I think the sound is great. I do agree that they are a lot of money, but I feel the sound quality is better than other headphones that I've tried. Oh, and I'm not an 18 year old who has them just for looks and status ranks! I'm an adult who just don't give a ***** what I look like or what other people think!
  22. macrumors 68020

Nov 5, 2009
    It's time to make a trip to your local guitar center. ;)
  23. macrumors 6502a

I bought some of the Beats Solo HD a year ago and love them. The cable broke once and they shipped me a new one to the UK inside a week, so no complaints there.

I'd recommend going to an Apple store and listening to all the headphones they have on demo, but listen through your own music player you'll use them with. I checked out the Sennheiser and Bose headphones on demo and the Beats Solo HD came out miles on top. With the EQ off, they just sounded more vibrant and clear than the others. The music seemed more 'alive' to me, if that makes sense? Go demo them. You may hate them but then, you may love them. Each to his own. But my 2 cents is that they are absolutely worth the cost. :)
  24. macrumors 6502

Dec 23, 2010
    London, UK
    I would agree with you that they are quite stylish and good looking. But based on the sound quality alone, they aren't worth the price. There are some headphones out there for $80-100 that have better sound quality. Plus the beats studios leak sound like crazy (which defeat the purpose of having headphones). If you want good sound quality, spend your money on a brand like Sennheiser or maybe Grado.

If you really want the beats, you should get the a chinese copy. The studios look and sound almost identical to the original beats, and come in many more colours. The sound quality is amazing and you really can't tell the real from the copy unless you have them side by side. You can buy them from websites like DHgate or Alibaba express for about $60-70 (black or white) or around $100 for the coloured ones.
  25. macrumors member

Jun 1, 2011
    United Kingdom