Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Although Apple.com has listed the BeatsX Earphones as not launching until sometime in February, a few tipsters emailing MacRumors have pointed out that Amazon updated their pre-orders to suggest that BeatsX will be arriving earlier than expected. The updated delivery windows are large, but both place the upcoming earphones with a January delivery date: one ranges from January 17 to January 27, and another from January 18 to January 30.

beats-amazon-shipping.jpg

Additionally, Fry's Electronics lists a shipping date on January 23 for BeatsX. Although that would fall in the window of Amazon's orders, the date is most likely a placeholder. Fry's was a part of a few retailers who suggested a December launch for BeatsX back in November -- a debut which the earphones obviously missed.

On both Apple.com and the official Beats website, BeatsX are currently not available to pre-order. Apple describes the earphones as "currently unavailable" along with the general "Coming February" launch month. On the Beats website, users can opt in for an e-mail notification when BeatsX launches, but there is no purchase or order button option either.

beatsx-earphones.jpg

In terms of features, the $149.95 BeatsX Earphones include in-line volume and playback controls on a flex-form cable, along with multiple wingtip and eartip add-ons (four total) that the company says will ensure a secure and comfortable fit for each user. Each bud of the earphones is magnetic and attaches to the other when hanging around a user's neck, further ensuring BeatsX can't easily be lost when not listening to music. The earphones are also part of the new "Got No Strings" Beats advertising campaign.

BeatsX were one of the W1-enabled earphones that Apple announced during its September 7 iPhone event, also including the AirPods, Powerbeats3, and Beats Solo3. The AirPods launched on December 13 and stock quickly dwindled, while the Beats Solo3 have been out since September, and the Powerbeats3 were available to order in October.

(Thanks David and Sandler77!)

Article Link: BeatsX Shipping Dates on Some Amazon Orders Updated With January Delivery Estimates

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
I'm finding my Airpods to be quite a bit more practical and stable than I thought they'd be... still getting a pair of these, but the wait has been much more bearable because of how well Apple nailed it.

The BeatsX will be my @work headphone.

Reactions: ogun7

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I should order these and complete my W1 Beats trifecta. ;)

I bought the Airpods, but they didn't fit my ears. Those things were awesome, but they just didn't fit me. The Solo3 were on sale at Best Buy for $230, so I picked those up. I'm using them at work. I like them except after a couple hours of use, my ears start to get sore. I think about every headset I've ever owned caused me discomfort after hours of use.

I really liked how well the W1 chip worked, so I bought some PowerBeats3 off Amazon for $150. Using those at the gym and such. I had an old Motorola Bluetooth headset, but I like how just a wire connects the left/right earbuds. The Motorola had a solid piece that didn't fit my big head all that well.

I wouldn't have bought both headsets at their MSRP of $300 and $200.

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I could not find it searching Amazon either. I found it with this Google search.

Code:
beatsx site:amazon.com

Ah, weird. They must have offered just a short window of time for pre-orders. Hopefully they will open it up for orders again soon as I have a $50 gift card there. :)

Reactions: smizzle

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I ordered the Airpods on day 1 and got them relatively quick. Then I made the mistake of giving them to my daughter for christmas. Now there is a perpetual 6 week estimate on the airpods. And forget about getting them at the store. This is the same as the original watch, they wont sell them instore until who know when. I don't know what kind of demand there is for beats, but if its anything close, I recommend ordering on first day or waiting a maddening long time.

J.Dillinger

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
I wish there were some bloggers who received review units or can at least publish something if they did. Beats are generally not for audio-focused consumers but I have to assume they sound better than AirPods. If so, they will pull the trigger on a pair.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I ordered the Airpods on day 1 and got them relatively quick. Then I made the mistake of giving them to my daughter for christmas. Now there is a perpetual 6 week estimate on the airpods. And forget about getting them at the store. This is the same as the original watch, they wont sell them instore until who know when. I don't know what kind of demand there is for beats, but if its anything close, I recommend ordering on first day or waiting a maddening long time.

Apple stores get stock a few times a week. Verizon, Best Buy and ATT also get stock online occasionally but it doesnt last long. I put an order in with ATT last week when they had some and got a pair yesterday.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Apple stores get stock a few times a week. Verizon, Best Buy and ATT also get stock online occasionally but it doesnt last long. I put an order in with ATT last week when they had some and got a pair yesterday.
Well I will check that out, because I have been to an apple store 4 or 5 times since christmas and they tell me there is no stock every time. I will check out the ATT store to see what they say.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Well I will check that out, because I have been to an apple store 4 or 5 times since christmas and they tell me there is no stock every time. I will check out the ATT store to see what they say.

The apple stores near me have gotten stock but it sells out first thing in the morning. To get them from ATT you will have to buy online, they dont have them in stores.

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010

Keep checking sites like this as they update which stores have current stock as well as the last time they had stock and for how long:

https://airpods.isinstock.com/locations

You can even sign up for alerts for when your chosen local store has some available.

Reactions: geekon2wheels

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Here you go. Shows currently unavailable though.
They were briefly available for preorder on Tuesday and Wednesday last week. I preordered and got the Jan 17-27 window. I just returned my Airpods because of the lack of inline controls and noise-isolation. These look like a better alternative for my uses (and should be great to carry safely around your neck when not using them).

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I wish there were some bloggers who received review units or can at least publish something if they did. Beats are generally not for audio-focused consumers but I have to assume they sound better than AirPods. If so, they will pull the trigger on a pair.

Agreed. I will be tempted to order these right away, but I will probably wait for some reviews first.

smizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I am in the same boat. I've never used Beats before so I wanted to wait for reviews but now I'm sick of waiting so I might just buy and return them if they don't work out.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm finding my Airpods to be quite a bit more practical and stable than I thought they'd be... still getting a pair of these, but the wait has been much more bearable because of how well Apple nailed it.

The BeatsX will be my @work headphone.

I was wearing my AirPods last night and I kept them in my ear for over approximately an hour. I actually completely forgot they were in my ear, that's how comfortable and stable they were. One of the best products I've owned so far from Apple. Really liking them and considering purchasing a second pair.

Reactions: Enygmatic

DarkenedReality

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2017

Still waiting for a full review too... CNET did put up a review (preview?) video on them all the way back in September. Not sure how they posted something when no other media outlet has due to NDA?

Reactions: smizzle

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The apple stores near me have gotten stock but it sells out first thing in the morning. To get them from ATT you will have to buy online, they dont have them in stores.

Agreed. And the other thing is you don't have to be a member or customer of AT&T to purchase the Airpods. They're available to anyone.

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Still waiting for a full review too... CNET did put up a review (preview?) video on them all the way back in September. Not sure how they posted something when no other media outlet has due to NDA?

That little preview definitely has me curious about the BeatsX. I have the AirPods on order and will give them a fair shot and definitely look forward to a truly wireless solution but I have a bad feeling that they won't stay in my ears very well. I've never had success with the normal EarPods and they often tend to hurt my ears after just an hour of use but I keep hearing from others how even though they appear to be the same the AirPods are just slightly different and stay in the ears a lot better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.