Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by jocknerd
Or one jail.

Whatever it takes for you to get over Miami's butt whooping dude. How can you be a real fan? I doubt you went to Miami. Most of their students don't want anything to do with the thugs. Its the local hoodlums that invade the half empty Orange Bowl every week. And I guarantee it will be half-empty this week against Tennessee. No telling how many of you bandwagon Cane fans have jumped ship now.

OOOH one jail. Hey tough guy, I graduate from Miami next month so grab a spoon.

Want to know why the OB is half empty? The student body is less than 10,000. Kinda hard to fill an 81,000 seat stadium. And most of the students love the Football program. Don't speculate comments on things you know NOTHING about.

Typical jealousy causing you to use the "Miami Thug" namecalling when you're own favorite program is just as bad as we were in the 80s.

Funny, I never saw a Miami player choke a QB under a pile. DISMISSED

IT'S A CANES THING.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
geez, and where were they in the late 90s? after the late 80s-early 90s, when they dominated and subsequently got caught, they were nowhere to be seen in rest of the 90s. i give your team the credit for the championship two years ago and a very, very good season last year, but it's a bit much to talk as if miami has always been the greatest with no weaknesses.

I was in Grade school to highschool. And yeah, 5 years probation is hard to come back from. Don't be so blind in thinking that the same thing that happened to Miami in the early 90's isn't going on at OSU or OU. OSU has Clarrett and Reynolds and that's the tip of the iceburg. And funny how everyone forgets about the OU player pulled over this summer with Weed and a gun and was never punished. FSU has consistantly had problems in their program for the past 5-7 years and nothing has been done about it. But you know if a Miami player so much as looked at a female the wrong way we'd be screwed.

losing a lot of talented players to NFL is nothing special about Miami. it happens to all the great teams and contribute to their eventual decline. please don't make it sound as if it's a problem that exists only in Miami.

Name me another school that's put 26 players in the last 3 years into the NFL. I'll be waiting...

miami football (for that matter, college football) didn't start when you got to miami as a student. surely, they've been very, very good during your student years and i'm glad you got to live through that as the truest fan - as a student - but that doesn't mean it was always that way in college football.

5 titles in 20 years. Hard to complain about that. Not to mention the amount of Coaching changes over that time and we still have success. I've been an FSU hater all my life and a Miami fan since 98, Miami student since 2000 and am a Month away from being an Alum.

I know all about the probation years. Miami decided in the mid 90s they were going to start a white QB over a highly touted black QB. This is when 2 Live Crew (Hip Hop group) severed ties with the university and narked on the whole program. However, don't even try to tell me there aren't programs (OU, OSU, FSU...) that have similar problems and are letting them slide. Any thing you hear in the media is .5% of what's really going on.

The funny thing is, Miami has a clean house these days (because we have to) and people still call us thugs.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i'm a Michigan fan. couldn't care less about the crap going on in OSU or OU. Michigan football's been as clean as it gets. gary moller (the coach) being dismissed for his own DUI is about as dirty as Michigan's been the last two decades.

i do not know of another program who has the same track record in sending players to NFL as Miami recently. maybe FSU. maybe Nebraska. but that's kind of irrelevant.

what i was responding to is your boasting that "i don't know what college you go to, but at Miami, one loss makes it a rebuilding year and two losses and heads will fly" crap. if i recall, there were numerous seasons in late-90s when miami routinely had 2+ losses in a season. no one talked of "rebuilding" in those years at miami - those teams were simply lousy. don't give me the "miami always have super high expectations where one-loss makes for a lost season" crap when miami has had its share of lousy teams.

notice i'm not claiming anything about Michigan. that's not the point.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by NavyIntel007

I know all about the probation years. Miami decided in the mid 90s they were going to start a white QB over a highly touted black QB. This is when 2 Live Crew (Hip Hop group) severed ties with the university and narked on the whole program. However, don't even try to tell me there aren't programs (OU, OSU, FSU...) that have similar problems and are letting them slide. Any thing you hear in the media is .5% of what's really going on.

The funny thing is, Miami has a clean house these days (because we have to) and people still call us thugs. [/B]

you know, there's no crazy conspiracy to frame Miami... if OSU, OU and FSU are currently suspect (and they are just that, because they haven't been "busted" yet) what does that make Miami? they actually got caught and got punished. if what we hear in the media is 0.5% of what's really going on, what the heck was going in Miami that they actually got caught despite the media covering only the 0.5% of it? must have been a heck of 0.5%... :rolleyes:

by the way, congratulations on your upcoming graduation. i don't mind a heated discussion, but i definitely want to keep it civil. :cool: you said you started in 2000, that means you are done in 3 1/2 years - very nice. :)

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2001
New York, NY
to add some fuel to the fire...

Kinda hard to fill an 81,000 seat stadium.
I believe that Michigan, Penn State and Tennesse have the largest stadiums in the nation (all over 100,000; i think)...they don't seem to have a hard time filling up the stadiums.:D

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Re: to add some fuel to the fire...

Originally posted by MacUser1
I believe that Michigan, Penn State and Tennesse have the largest stadiums in the nation (all over 100,000; i think)...they don't seem to have a hard time filling up the stadiums.:D

Michigan Stadium - capacity 107,501, largest in the U.S.

last game with less than 100,000 spectators was Oct. 25, 1975.

just to clarify: Michigan has 36,000 students. the town of Ann Arbor has 100,000+ residents.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Re: Re: to add some fuel to the fire...

Originally posted by jxyama
Michigan Stadium - capacity 107,501, largest in the U.S.

last game with less than 100,000 spectators was Oct. 25, 1975.

just to clarify: Michigan has 36,000 students. the town of Ann Arbor has 100,000+ residents.

36K is 36% of your stadium capacity.

10,000 is 12.35% of the capacity of the orange bowl. And I can't really even confirm that there is 10K. There might actually be less.

UT and PSU each have over 40,000 students.

All three schools are a really bad comparison to Miami.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
you know, there's no crazy conspiracy to frame Miami... if OSU, OU and FSU are currently suspect (and they are just that, because they haven't been "busted" yet) what does that make Miami? they actually got caught and got punished. if what we hear in the media is 0.5% of what's really going on, what the heck was going in Miami that they actually got caught despite the media covering only the 0.5% of it? must have been a heck of 0.5%... :rolleyes:

by the way, congratulations on your upcoming graduation. i don't mind a heated discussion, but i definitely want to keep it civil. :cool: you said you started in 2000, that means you are done in 3 1/2 years - very nice. :)

Did you not read my post? Someone came out and narked on them. OSU OU and FSU don't get caught because no one talks about it. Clarrett only got punished for cheating on the test because someone came forward with allegations. There were other players implicated as well. FSU has had drug addicts, theifs, gambling, rapists and academic fraud and no one is doing a thing about it because of their love for Bobby Bowden.

Michigan is pretty clean, I'll give you that. But Miami is clean now too and I'm sick and tired of people trying to come down on the reputation of my school when we've paid our dues while they go to schools that do drugs, choke quarterbacks and cheat on tests.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
FSU has had drug addicts, theifs, gambling, rapists and academic fraud and no one is doing a thing about it because of their love for Bobby Bowden.

And random quarterbacks parking in handicapped parking spots. :p

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Re: Re: Re: to add some fuel to the fire...

36K is 36% of your stadium capacity.

10,000 is 12.35% of the capacity of the orange bowl. And I can't really even confirm that there is 10K. There might actually be less.

UT and PSU each have over 40,000 students.

All three schools are a really bad comparison to Miami.

36K includes grad. students. Miami has 15K including grad. students... anyway...

Michigan Stadium is always sold out and, as you can guess, most of the fans are not current students. however, last i heard, miami is at least three times bigger than ann arbor. i'd also like to mention the fact Miami has much better weather during the winter. Michigan fans weather the cold rain and snow to come fill up the stadium... is it because there's not much to do here in MI during the winter? perhaps. but what does that say about fan's passion?

Michigan is the winningest football program. Michigan also has won national championships, latest being 1997. no, they didn't all come in last 20 years, but again, college football didn't start when you started at Miami. and i know you probably find these facts irrelevant. and similary, i couldn't care less how Miami got caught, FSU/OU/OSU are suspect, etc. because they are not my team. so please stop telling me all those things because i am not at all interested. tell me something about Michigan that you can pick on.

i will not say Michigan is a better football program/fans/tradition/blah blah than Miami or any other. it's my favorite team. while i like to speak highly of my favorite team, i don't do so at the expense of putting other people's favorite teams down. read all my posts. i only state factual good things about michigan, not relative things. and i never said anything about miami cheating now. nor did i make some judgemental statement about miami based on what happened in the past. all i know is, miami was good in the late 80s/early 90s, was pretty lousy after that until a few years ago.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Re: Re: Re: Re: to add some fuel to the fire...

I wasn't saying anything bad about Michigan and last time I checked, this thread was about Miami. Total enrollment is 14,416. However, only 9,356 students get free tickets to the games. Even with 14.5k you're still talking about 17.8% of the stadium filled. Boston College has a similar enrollment as Miami and their stadium seats 44,500. They fill their games every week. We regularly get 55-67K fans per game and 82,000 for the big games. The Orange Bowl is not on campus, nor was it even made as large as it is for the Hurricanes. That was all for the Dolphins.

Sure Miami is bigger than Ann Arbor. But last time I checked there were more beaches in Miami than Ann Arbor, better weather and more nightlife. All Florida sports teams have the problem of filling the stands because there's a lot more to do down here. That doesn't mean we don't like our sports, when given the option, you'd go to the beach when it's 85 in November as well, especially if you knew you'd be going home to 12 degrees.

I have no problem with Michigan. I like you guys, especially when you're beating OSU.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i know you weren't saying anything about Mich... i guess i can understand getting a bit defensive on a thread like this because it specifically targets your school. i had kinda forgotten about how the thread started because it quickly turned into OSU vs. Michigan thread. :p

i guess the best thing is to take as a complement - when your team is awfully successful, getting beaten once makes for a big news and there will be a lot of "bandwagon haters" if you know what i mean.

btw, michigan students has to pay ~$100 for season tickets. and believe me, i'd rather be out on the beach right about now. :cool:

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
i know you weren't saying anything about Mich... i guess i can understand getting a bit defensive on a thread like this because it specifically targets your school. i had kinda forgotten about how the thread started because it quickly turned into OSU vs. Michigan thread. :p

i guess the best thing is to take as a complement - when your team is awfully successful, getting beaten once makes for a big news and there will be a lot of "bandwagon haters" if you know what i mean.

btw, michigan students has to pay ~$100 for season tickets. and believe me, i'd rather be out on the beach right about now. :cool:

Dude that sucks. Miami indirectly sticks us ($28K tuition plus activity fees). I'd love to be at the beach too... if it wasn't raining today.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
What's really funny is whatever school all of you go to, a one or two loss season is a great year. In Miami, when we have a loss, we're rebuilding. 2 losses and heads are rolling.

GO CANES.

Now you have your two losses. Enjoy!
Tennessee - 10
Miami - 6

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
How foolish you are to think the Canes are out of it. We're ranked 4 right now. FSU will lose to Florida, VT will lose to Pitt, Pitt will lose to Us. USC will lose to Oregon St. or OU will drop the B12 title game and Miami is right back in it all.

Sorry haters, Miami is not out of it by any means. You can hate all day long... but put it this way... OSU, Michigan or VT are for sure not going... but Miami is still alive.

IT's A CANES THING!:cool:

Now it's official. You are not going to the Sugar Bowl...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.