because of the recent update...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iEric, Nov 22, 2003.

1. iEric macrumors 6502a

Due to the recent update of the iMac...How long will it take for the next new update on it?usually
    !HOPEFULLY A G5 in it!

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

That's hard to say. They where just updated, but I think Apple has a surprise for us when they introduce new higher clocked G5's. The powermac and probably Xserve will get these new chips and the Imac will probably get the chips that have the current speeds. Although I don't think this will be the same chips, but alterred, lower power chips, maybe even 0,90nm chips. So give it a couple of months!

3. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

C...A...N...T....W...A...I...T

I JUST CAN'T WAIT..I hope they have a suprise at the expo in January...PLEASE...I think its time that the iMacs get the G5...

4. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

That long ah? I wouldn't even mind a 1.6 G5 in there

5. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Why would a G5 go in an iMac before going into a PowerBook? Can someone please explain this to me. Other than because it's more feasible. Don't forget, the iMac is part of the consumer line, like the iBook. PowerBook is part of the pro line, like the PowerMac. Would you have expected the G4 to go into an iMac before a PowerBook? So why then do you expect a G5 in an iMac before the PowerBook?

6. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was just wondering. i didn't EXPECT anything

7. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Wasn't directed at you. I've just heard a bunch of people expecting it, and I'm just asking for someone to explain to me if there's a reason that maybe I'm not seeing.

8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Like I said above, the G5 in the Imac will probably be a lowerpower/less heat proc. Ofcourse it will be the same proc as in the powerbooks. But this is gonna be difficult, IBM has a surprise up their sleeve, or Apple is gonna wait with it until the 90nm chips are introduced. Especially now IBM said that they are gonna wait with SOI on their chips until the size goes to 65nm. BTW it could be Apple who has a surprise up their sleeve, have you heard about the newcube/Imac? However the G5 chips are cheaper then the G4's because of all the L3 cache, so Apple would probably go to G5 Imac a.s.a.p. and get better margins on them.

9. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

I also want the PRO/Black keyboards back...black is so sleek and it matches some of the furniture LOL

10. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

SOI

Actually, IBM is already using SOI. You are thinking of SSOI - Strained Silicon on Insolator, which IBM said wouldn't come until the 65nm process. You never know though, IBM might be saying that just to keep the competition guessing.

11. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

You want my advice, Get a 1.6 G5 right now. Without DVD-RW and with a student discount it's under $1400!
    You can get apple display for 599 with student discount.
    So it will cost about the same as iMac 20" with student discount, but will be faster...
    Although if you want 20" screen, get G4 imac, I'm pretty sure G5 imacs wont be here atleast for over a year or longer.

P.S. It's only my opinion.... And don't count too much on it. I myself just got burned by buying a single 1.8 in september and now seeing dual 1.8s for the same price....