Because you won't see or hear it in the news

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stubeeef, Jun 4, 2006.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

http://www.hoa.centcom.mil/index.asp

Not a political statement as much as one for hope. Many are doing positive things but are not in the news like the few that are not.

I have been researching HOA (Horn of Africa) because I may be recalled for there over the next 8 months. I have been told to prepare, but not given odds, probably around 50/50. Should be a great experience if I am asked.

interesting story

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Apr2006/20060418_4859.html

I hope that these links work for those here, there may be a cookie I have that is allowing me to read them. They are unclassified stories, so should be available.

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

A friend of mine does a lot of medical service in Africa (not affiliated with any of the Pharmas). Man, Africa needs every bit of our attention and love that they can get. Difficult times in much of the continent.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The first U.S. military base in East Africa -- not something the Pentagon is really anxious to publicize.

4. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Actually,

Good things happening to local african people by the hands of military, not good for liberal press to publicize. Might delute the message.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Stu this has nothing to do with the thread but your avatar is just a Scream. LOL. Makes me laugh everytime i see it.:D

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Why hasn't fox covered this story then? or any of murdoch's other right wing rags? Why doesn't the Peace Corps get any coverage by fox? Americans volunteering to help disadvantage people around the world is certainly something the conservative press should be touting, right?!?!

You need to let up on the liberal bashing stu, because the press is pretty right wing these days. The WSJ, the WA Post, even the NYT is more in tune with the people on your side these days. Of course, you refuse to realize that the so called liberal press you so love to hate is controlled by right wing business interests who have less interest in reporting than in making money.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nonsense. My point is, this is a military base, the first in East Africa. It's part of the Pentagon's redeployment program. I hope it does good and positive things in that part of the world -- fighting terrorism at its source. But again, it's a military base, and a highly fortified one at that. I'm not sure the Pentagon really wants it to be widely publicized.

8. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

My response was a satarical response to a rediculous claim.

9. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

That is the first positive response to my ugly mug! Thanks!!!:)

10. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

As opposed to the not highly fortified? What is your bases for "highly fortified" other than dramatic hyperbole?

Of course NON us news has a report on it back in 2002!!!! Ya redeployment plan, from 2002! Then the US troops were outnumbered by the French and Germans...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2420443.stm

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This article, from that notoriously left-leaning organization, the American Enterprise Institute.

http://www.aei.org/publications/filter.foreign,pubID.17783/pub_detail.asp

Their dramatic hyperbole,

12. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

My point is.......Which bases or compounds in that area should not be fortified? You make it sound as if it is a particularly beeefed (couldn't resist) up base. THEY ALL ARE AND SHOULD BE!!!

go to the Naval bases in Norfolk VA, and you will often pass a manned 50 cal. machine gun, weave through barriers, and be checked at least once. In a base across from Yemen, I would expect nothing less, highly fortified is the standard, not an adjective to be used as an out of the norm base. If it wasn't then they would be called stupid.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't think that actually was your point, but never mind. My point is, this base is part of a strategic military deployment to what is viewed (wisely, I think) as the next frontier in global conflict. It is not, principally, a humanitarian mission, as was implied by the Pentagon web site you linked. Perhaps the redeployment of U.S. forces to other parts of the world should be covered more by the media, but it's not clear to me that the Pentagon is desirous of more publicity about U.S. troop movements.

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

It is interesting that Camp Lemonier was acheived with French assistance - the base being an old Foreign Legion outpost. Prior to this arrangement, the US operated offshore from the U.S.S Mt Whitney.

I happen to agree with how the US is operating in the Horn - an Economy of Force - having a light footprint, running a lot of aid projects, training local forces, establishing coast guards - all which build local goodwill and foster order and intelligence-gathering, which allows for quiet SF operations to kill/capture "bad guys". It is relatively cheap and smart - and the US has been doing it for decades.

This is in opposition to Iraq and Afghanistan - with large footprints and bueaucratic command-structures. These low-key operations in the Horn are general and sustaining, rather than specific and transitory - as in Iraq and Afghanistan. The latter grab the headlines because they deal with large changes/concepts such as "regime-change" and "nation-building", which excite journalists and intellectuals - and inspire debate. These low-key operations do not incite the same reaction - and it has nothing to do with media bias.

15. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

spent many a day on "Pier 20" the U.S.S Mt Whitney. While it looks to me that the Pentagon is trying to get the story of some "doing good things" out, it isn't going to get much mainstream play. We all want to know how bad things are, and look at death and destruction. If it bleeds it leads!

I didn't know much about the mission there myself, and knowing that there is a chance it will be a yr+ mission for me, thought I would look it up. It seemed to hold some hope in it so I thought I would share it.

As IJ pointed out correctly, the mission is not primarily humanitarian, but anti-terrorist. Humanitarian is just a good anti-terrorist policy.

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

While your comments about "if it bleeds, it leads" certainly have a great amount of truth to them, your implication that say, Iraqi war coverage is biased, may not be fair.

At it's best, the media can bring the truth of a situation to the public, and there can be little doubt that much is going poorly in Iraq. OTOH, the Media has a great amount of power, without any real accountability - allowing them to possibly be irresponsible and cater to an idealistic morality to the detriment of the execution of solutions to complicated problems. This has little to do with partisanship.

On a personal level, in what capacity might you serve over there? What is your specialty? AFAIK, Camp Lemonier is a Marine affair primarily. I am just curious.

17. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

My most likely duty would be a watch officer, 12 on 12 off for 3-4 days take a day off and repeat. Nothing exciting, mostly chaos management. But it could be any of a dozen duties, all of which are considered mondane.

Insurgents have made enough of an impact to have made the Iraqi war nearly un-win-able. Some here will jump on the word "nearly". It is time for Iraq to take a hand in its future. That is quite possibly asking for the impossible. Like our US border problem, Iraq has a huge one too. Any problem can just walk right in and start up.

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

oooo...that is a loaded statement. I am not sure if you meant what I inferred here, but both Iraq and the US (relating to border) problems are mainly an internal, not external problem.

It is the nature of the system in both countries which largely create and continue the problems. In Iraq, that nature is disorder and chaos - which is often violent and a potential haven for opportunistic groups, such a terrorists. In the US, our system has evolved to depend on low-cost labor to a degree which de-facto guarantees jobs for illegal immigrants - and they are also opportunistic.

By the way, it is interesting to hear about what you may find yourself doing over in the HOA. Thanks for sharing and good luck to you if you go - I hope your family and employer are understanding.

19. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I consider both border issues ones that could be solved and have not been. Choose your reasons, but they both need to get secured, IMHO.