become left handed.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fearless Leader, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

This may sound weird but I want to become left handed. Anybody want to give me hints, tips or anything they can think of. or give me their college thiesis paper on why this is impossible :rolleyes: .

I have been using my left hand for my mouse and writing all of today and i have muscles hurting in places i didn't even now their were muscles their.:eek:

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I tried to learn how to write with my left hand during exams. Obviosly after I had completed the exam and was waiting to be allowed to leave. I found it was as boring as doing nothing.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm left handed, and I don't really see how you can "learn" but i'm sure you can if you try hard enough.

4. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

It's not impossible to become ambidextrous, but it's damned hard. My sister learned how to write with both hands, but she did it when she was a little kid. I guess it's possible that only kid brains are this flexible.

The short answer it that to do it you just have to do it. Practice and practice and practice. Use only your left hand for everything if you can. You'll probably get fired or kicked out of school long before you master it, but there's really no other way.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Years ago being left-handed was considered an affliction that had to be "unlearned". School teachers would force people to write right-handed, using suitable motivation (i.e. ruler on the knuckles)

Anyways, back to the point. It can be done, but you will be fighting your body's natural tendancy so it wont be easy.

Interestingly, Phil Mickleson, who is nicknamed Lefty because he plays gol left handed, is not actually left handed.

6. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

well my handwriting on my right hand is very bad. so i don't think my teachers will care and most all the stuff i turn in is typed now. but man i am sore in the upper forearm.

and now that i know its at least possible, i'll report back in a week or too.

7. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

I'm impressed. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Give em hell (or something...).

8. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

I know a guy from back in high school whose mother made him sit on his left hand and practice writing when he was young. When I knew him, he was socially and well as dextrously awkward. I don't know if there is a correlation.

On the other hand (no pun intended) I taught myself how to play tennis with my non-dominant hand when I injured my dominant arm. I'm learning how to throw that way too. Nothing is finite, but it sure is hard to undo years of repetition.

9. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I'd like to learn to write with my right hand. It'd come in handy when using a pencil as I could finally avoid the lead smearing all over the side of my hand.

I'm too lazy to learn though. :eek:

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Now I'm an odd cat...

I write right-handed. I throw right-handed and I bat right-handed. However, when I fish (which hasn't been in years), I cast left handed. When I play hockey, I shoot left-handed. When I get the chance to shoot archery or rifle, I shoot left-eyed.

It's almost odd that I can't write left-handed, especially the way I switch off between everything.

11. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

My left arm exists for one purpose only!

To keep me from listing to starboard.....:D

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I do everything right-handed except write. I identify as left-handed but am more ambidextrous.

13. Gee macrumors 65816

So why do you want to be left handed? You're right (no pun intended), it does sound weird.

14. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Well I'll give you the advice my second grade teacher gave me back in 1961 when she was trying to 'switch me' (I'm left handed).

Teacher: What would you do if you lost your left arm in an industrial accident?
    Me: Ummm, I would learn to use my right hand.
    Teacher: Why don't you pretend that your left arm is broken. Put it in a sling and I'll go easy on you until you learn to write with your right hand.

Me: (to myself) I'm in the second grade and I have a crazy person for a teacher.

If you really want to force yourself to use your left hand maybe putting your right hand in a sling isn't a crazy idea at all.

Ron (still a lefty after all these years)

15. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

So true... late 50's early 60's... first day of 1st grade... the teachers put all the lefties (3 of us) in a little room and tried to switch us. Sent notes home and everything. This continued until I entered 3rd grade where they gave up on switching us. None of us switched. It was a nutty idea. Your brain is wired differently... being left handed is jus one of the benefits.

Ron

16. iGav macrumors G3

I eat cack-handedly you know. Seriously. It's my brothers fault.

17. calculus Guest

calculus

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

18. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

19. Queso macrumors G4

When I started school my first teacher slapped me on the back of my hand with a ruler whenever I tried to write with my left hand. After a week of this I had red marks across my knuckles. My mother noticed over the weekend and accused my older brother of doing it, but when both he and I denied it and I told her why I was getting the marks she got rather upset.

She asked me very firmly if I was telling the truth, which I confirmed, then on the Monday morning went into school with me and virtually pinned the teacher against the wall. I remember the phrase "I'm not going to let you f**k up my child" being used, which was very shocking when you're only five years old :eek:

Right old fishwife my Mum :) . That teacher resented me like hell for the next 10 months and took every opportunity to get me to repeat work for being "untidy", but I'm still left handed. :p

20. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

I'm predominantly right-handed.

However, I'm ambidextrous with the mouse. This is probably because I began using a mouse left-handed -- my uncle, whose computer (an Acorn Achimedes) was the first I used with a mouse, is left-handed. At that age, I didn't think to move the mouse to the other side, so I just used it.

I'll occasionally find myself trying to undo things or something with my left hand, and I'll have to remind myself to stop being an idiot and use my right (right) hand.

Lastly, I shoot left-eyed. Sometimes this involves actually holding the gun (bb or paintball only - I've no desire for something that'll kill anything more than a coke can) left handed. Sometimes I'll hold it right-handed, but bring it across my body so I'm aiming with my left eye. This is probably because my right eye's the weaker one - it has astigmatism and wanders a bit when I'm really tired.

(basically, I was constructed with parts from the spares bin :p)

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You'd be in serious trouble in the Middle East - or anywhere they don't use loo paper. That is, of course, the origin of the charming phrase cack-handed... :)

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Same thing happened with my Mum when she was at school in the 60's. The nuns (most teachers at the Catholic schools back then were nuns, this was back when there were enough nuns to go around) tried to change Mum from left to right-handed in the only method nuns know how - with the little white stick...

My Nan went absolutely psycho. She went in and tore the nuns a new one and nobody ever picked on Mum again.

Trust me, no power on earth is scarier than my Nan doing her block, even my Mum's rants pale into insignificance when compared with a little old lady with fire shooting from her eyes and smoke coming from her ears.

23. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Wiping your ass?

24. iGav macrumors G3

No I wouldn't... because that's my knife hand. ;)

25. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

I went through the same thing a month ago and I've managed ot become perfectly "fluent" in using my computer mouse with my left hand, it toook a couple weeks or forced use but I'm pretty good at it now :D