Becoming a developer

Discussion in 'iPhone/iPad Programming' started by azerton, Mar 31, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

First of all congrats to the staff of MacRumors and the forums, you are doing a great job! :)

My current situation - I started programming for the iPhone in xcode this week, using the SDK by Apple. So far, I am still not a part of the Developer Program but would like to become one very soon.

I have a first generation iPhone that was jailbroken to version 2 to allow me to make calls using any carrier. After compiling my iPhone apps in xcode for the iPhone 2.0 platform and uploading them to my iPhone (fake-signing the binaries) everything works fine!

Now, I would like to become a more official developer using the Apple program ( I want to port my apps to the appStore) - my question: can I do this using my jailbroken iPhone? Will I be able to view my apps on my iPhone using the official method provided by Apple? Thanks!

Also, I have been Googling a lot to see how the registration procedure for the developer program goes, and everybody seems to be complaining alot about certifications, the time it takes, .... - is this overal true, or can this process actually go smooth, too?

Thanks in advance,
    Looking forward to get some feedback,

2. macrumors newbie

IMHO the process takes some time (it took one month to get the approval from Apple on our side)...

3. macrumors member

I cant comment on the jailbroken devices. It can take a little time to figure out the certificates/ profiles etc, but if you read the docs really carefully and try understand each stage it gets pretty easy. It usually only takes me a few mins now to submit an update / new app.. obviously the development takes longer :)

I find new apps and updates once submitted to apple are usually reviewed and made live within a week.

4. macrumors regular

Apparently since 3.0, they've sped things up. You should be accepted within 24 hours, and the paperwork is done later

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick feedback, really appreciated!

One question still lasts though: is it possible for me to develop for the iPhone if I have a jailbroken iPhone? I am on version 2.0 (first generation).

Thanks a bunch!

6. macrumors newbie

You don't even need an iPhone at all to develop for it since the simulator provides you with a workable test environment.

However if you have a jailbroken iPhone you can test your apps on it using the Ad Hoc distribution method.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a bunch for the quick and helpful replies!