Becoming An Apple tech.......

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by applemacdude, Jun 29, 2005.

1. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

So How can i do it? i been interested in doing this for some time, is there a age requirement? im 16.... i know you have to buy the AppleCare Technician Training kit ( http://www.apple.com/training/) but what else do it do? sorry for such a short post but i sont have that much time, ill write some more later....

2. applemacdude thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I'm 17 and have started taking the tests to become trained. I already do house calls for people, but its much better to be trained. I'm doing this as a summer and sideline job as there are no mac repairmen in my area.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

study the material and take the test that are required to get the certification you want. that is it. you can by 3rd party books form amazon as well that use the apple material as supplemental.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/techtrain.html

5. grubesteak macrumors newbie

6. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

7. capone2 macrumors regular

Tech DVD

I have the AppleTech DVD that i have never used boxed from '03. I payed $300 for it i would sell it for whatever?, almost nothing? if your interested.

make me an offer. or whoever is interested.

Email: 62-jc@nyc.rr.com

8. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Thanks for the info on the blog. I will definitely be doing this A.S.A.P. I'd enjoy working on macs all day more than currently on PCs.

9. Jedda macrumors regular

Jedda

Fantastic. Thanks for the info.

I was about to look into doing this soon.

It seems that it's much easier than i had imagined.

Wonderful.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i'll start now then when im like 18 i'll rock at it about 5 years of training, perhaps i'll take the test when im like 16 or 17 still goo damount o ftime to train

11. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I've wanted to do this for a while, too...

The only training place is in Austin, TX, though... not Houston. :(
    Also cost ~$2k. :eek:
    (could just get an iMac G5 for that :D:D)

Mmm.. self-taught. :)

I'll take the test over winter break, maybe.. It'll be a present to myself. :)

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i basically fix all computers, for 6 years now, and if it's about making money, fix the pc side since they have more problems and more computers

but if you want to have the basic knowledge on macs, get certified or work for an apple certified reseller, apple store, or apple warranty company

many people find that the hobby of macs is very different than the day to day realities of pleasing paying (mac) customers who may sometimes become impatient and irrational and require you to work on their machines strange hours of the day or night

and realize that not all mac users know how to keep their machines relatively trouble free and may really gunk up the machine before you get to look at it