Becoming an apple technician.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by onemacmini, Nov 29, 2006.

1. onemacmini macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2005
    I am 16 and love apple... But i want to take this further, and become a technican of some sort related with apple. but i am left with the big question... How? How do i become an apple technician? I am looking for any positive comments out there for any info for a fellow mac user on how to take this step.. whether you know how to become one or have even done it yourself. So please, Share your thoughts and knowledge below.

Many thanks

2. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2006
    I'm pretty sure Apple beings hiring at 18, but i'm not 100%. You need to take the apple training course to be a technician(you mean like a Genius,right?) then you need to get hired.
  3. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2005
    i actually recently applied on apples carrers section but no response. I just wondered if i could get my foot in the door a bit earlier. however my age being so young doesnt help..
  4. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2006
    If you want to be an Apple Genius, you need to either have great hair, skin and teeth and no clue OR poor personal hygiene and a really bad attitude.

To become an Apple Technician, I expect you need to be able to say "The logic board needs replaced. It will take a week or two." in response to everything and keep a straight face whilst filling in the forms to have the machine shipped away to some sweatshop where the repair will take five weeks.

Going purely on my experience with Apple Stores and Resellers, of course.
  5. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2006
    I'm almost 16, and I want to work at the apple store this summer. I was actually offered a job by a manager, so i think i'm in despite my age. I think that since it doesn't really say on the application page that you must be 18, if you come in for an interview(if they do that) and you really know what you're talking about, they will consider you. I got offered a job when i had a bad macbook, i went to the store with my mom to get a replacement, and after describing the problem and what i did, he was like do you want a job? And it was pretty simple mac stuff, like i waas telling him i repaired permissions, ran a diagnostics test,reset PRAM etc.Ok, its not simple, especially considering that most people that work on the floor really don't know that much. I had one guy tell me i needed to send in my sister's iBook to get replacement feet for the bottom, where i knew all i needed was the feet, which they had in the store, and i could just pop em in. Well, i c alled applecare and they sent me some, and all i needed to do was put it in(that's what she said,haha). The guy at the store insisted there was a special "genius glue" so i couldn't do it myself and i had to send it in.
  6. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2006
    HAHAHA so true! I would never be a genius, they take so much **** from stupid people that don't know how to update their iPod. I saw one lady had her boss' iMac who she claimed was a pro photog, but was only using iPhoto! what a joke, no pro uses iPhoto. And she didn't even have an external HD,i would never hire this lady, and i just looked at the genius he was like WTF>
  7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    When I was an Apple tech I was trained by Apple at training sites. The good news for you is that anybody can get trained now by buying their training program. At your age you may find it cheaper to start with a book.

There is more to being a technician than working at a "genius" bar. Best wishes.
  8. rlkproductions macrumors newbie

Nov 29, 2006
    Intrested Too

I am 13 and I am also intrested in becoming a Genius or at least training to be one. I think you can be a salesperson at 16 and a Genius at 18. Apple Discussions pretty much told me it would never happen. Ugh! Stupid Age discrimination! Good Luck>
  9. dano415 macrumors newbie

May 30, 2009

Really funny!!!!! Apple needs to stop calling them geniuses. For what I paid for my imac; I hope that bar is stocked? They could afford coffee.
  10. alphaod macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    San Jose (CA)
    No offense, but I don't want some scrawny teen telling me what's wrong with my computer and even handling it. When I was younger, I didn't even trust myself to handle other people's stuff.
  11. rgarjr macrumors 603

Apr 2, 2009
    Southern Cal
    Good point there man. :D
  12. rustyk123 macrumors member

Sep 17, 2009
    I know it has been a while seen a post here, but in response to this, I am a laptop technician at a local repair shop and the way customers are nowadays, they would rather information from a teen rather then a person in their 30's or 40's. I got this job at the age of 16, and been dealing with customers laptops since the third or fourth week there. But the biggest way is to sound like you really know what you are saying.
  13. nathanael909 macrumors newbie

Jun 25, 2010
    Why not? Other people trust teens with their equipment. I own my own computer repair company, and contract with my school. and a few others... I just turned 16. Don't. Show some support to teens these days, instead of being in the streets selling drugs, or in gangs and doing things we aren't supposed to do... Their are those who actually want to make something of themselves... So give us a chance! :)
  14. Lokrado macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2009
    I'd love to work for apple, too bad I live half way around the globe in some crappy "windows is the best" country...
    Been fixing my friends computers since I was 13!

been thinking of moving to the US for like 4 years now, and I'm "only" 18 :D