Beef Jerky

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Apr 16, 2003.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Does anybody else here like beef jerky as much as I do? I've ordered from some online places and they've been good. I'm wondering if anyone has some good brands they can recommend.
    The only brands I see in my supermarket where I live is Pemmican brand. I don't much like theirs because it's a little too salty for my taste.
    I really like peppered jerkey. I haven't tried mesquite yet but I will soon.

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Beef Jerky

i live in a rural area where people make their own in house (as well as killer bbq, too) and the stuff at the store from big companies is very salty for my taste, too

the worst stuff is the slim jim brand beefsticks...but they are probably the biggest in the world

but when it comes down to it, beef jerky seems healthier than chips or candy bars

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: Beef Jerky

I love beef jerky, buts expensive to buy all the time. I should get a costco membership as I'm sure its cheaper there. I prefer beef jerky that is peppered as opposed to the teriyaki flavored kind. The less processed the better, though i've had some home made stuff that was just kind of nasty cause it wasn't sufficiently dried and wasn't lean enough.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think the best I've found regularly is K.C. Cattlemen's. Most are just fair. You might be surprised how spicy the beef jerky at Asian grocery stores can be. It's become quite a big deal with Japanese since the late 1980s.

5. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I've ordered some jerky from Oberto. They're okay. Here's a link:http://oberto.com/

Here's another place that I found online but I haven't ordered from them but they offer some great gift baskets:
    http://cattaneobros.com/

I'm going to try them next. :D

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

turkey jerky here....got some at Trader Joes and its not all that bad. Although I have to say that its been about 6 months since I had it last.

Salt is a big problem with jerky - I get enough salt as it is, I don't need to get extra.

I do remember when I was little and you couldn't find jerky, slimjim was always a decent snack.

D

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm into the turkey jerky myself...beef is fine...but turkey can be slightly tender IMO... ;)

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Jerky

The best jerky I EVER had was at some Orange County Street Fair. There was a stand that has always been up, and they sell LOTS of jerky. They have samples too.

I asked for something hot. They showed me 3 HOT kinds. I tried the first, and it was pretty hot. I asked em for their hottest. And I swear, this was the hottest thing I have ever had. It burned my lips, and my tongue.

I ended up buying the middle hotness, it came in a vaccum sealed bag. It looked like there wasnt alot of jerky in the bag, but once you opened it and the air got in there, the size like quadrupled

10. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey ubergeek, most women hate jerky. So I'm not surprised. It's a guy thing I guess.

I'd like to try some of that HOT jerky there. Maybe I should get a food dehydrator and try some recipes of my own. Dried foods is becoming something of an obsession for me. I don't know why.
    I use to buy this dried Korean filefish. You toast it over a gas stove a little bit and gnosh on it. Tasty as hell but it stinks up the house.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That's the problem with processed food it's tends to be salty.

I much prefer the turkey from Trader Joe's also! There's tends to be more like home made!

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I LOVE beef jerky, but my mom deems it 'Poison covered dead
    animal' so I don't get much of it... :(

;)

13. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

My father-in-law makes the best jerky. He turns an old shed into a smokehouse.... :)

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Home made beef jerky rocks. Well, the only home made jerky
    ive ever had wasn't beef at all but venison. My friends father
    made it shortly after a hunting trip. It was tasty.

15. iGav macrumors G3

This thread has got me in stiches.... :p :p :p

It could be because I'm british.... or because I'm slightly merry.... either way I'm laughing so hard it's giving me the hiccups... :p :p :p

16. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Hey, I am 100% real cajun, if it breathes we will eat it down here. :) (Especially if it has a face. :p Just a shot at you vegitarians. ;))

My FIL shops for sales on old meat (Not quite spoiled) and the uses that to make the jerky.

Venison tastes pretty much like any other meat. I ate some neutrea jerky the other day. (Basically a big rat.) It didn't taste half bad, but I don't know if I would go out of my way to look for it...

17. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have an advertising slogan: "Jerky, the best food for when you're in a jam."

"Without jerky what would the explorers have done?"

"Jerky, when all else spoils, it's still good."
    :D

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'm surprised they're not offering tax breaks for people that eat neutrea-- they keep doing things with the carcasses, but no one touches them. I have to say you're braver than I for trying it...

I love beef jerky, non-peppered (never liked spicey things) but i can't have it very often, way too much sodium for me. stupid doctors.... anyway, the best i've found (commercial) is Steak 'n Onions, it's rather obviously onion flavored, not spicy, but it's impossible to find. Meat's not great but it has flavor. Best *real* jerky i've had is from a meat locker near where i grew up, they had the best deer jerkey...

dammit, now i'm craving it... hehe...

pnw

19. janey macrumors 603

janey

:D no it's not a girl thing...
    ooooh the filefish are great :D
    you're right...i love eating it but it stinks like hell that's why i eat it outside...
    dried foods == okay
    i like dried mangos :p

20. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I'm pretty sure it's nutria.

I like jerky, but I'm too cheap to buy it often.