Been doing some snooping around on the xbox 360 vs. ps3 issues

Discussion in 'Games' started by JzzTrump22, May 22, 2005.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

That's possibly the most basic analysis of computer architecture I've ever seen. Obviously plagiarized from one author the the other too.
    All is speculation. How games are developed will really make the difference, as well as the game lineup.
    I'm an xbox guy right now, but am going to wait until i start really caring about this stuff.
    Just like Doom 3 runs better with 2 "general purpose cores" rather than one?:p - Crock of s***

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

"general purpose math" = integer calculations. That article simplifies everything about CPU's.

IIRC floating point calculations are much more important for gaming (at least for physics, correct?), and all they manage to make a point out of is that the X360 is better in integer and absolutely sucks in floating point (relative to the PS3 of course).

4. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm an xbox person, i will always be an xbox person just because i like the game lineup much more then playstations. True, playstation will probably look a little better, but there are features the xbox has that i will never be willing to give up, like xbox live.

5. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Microsoft and Sony both have some amazing hardware going into their systems. I think our jaws will be dropping at the graphics for both systems when they hit the market.

In the past two console wars (including the current one), Sony never had the best hardware specs. They still won each battle, though they got some real competition from Microsoft in the second battle. So I don't think hardware alone is going to do it for Sony.

6. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I absolutly agree with you. It really all depends on the game companies and how much time they are willing to put into detailing their games. The hardware is there for the game developers to use, but it all depends on how the developers utilize what they have. I was looking at a few trailers on www.gametrailers.com and i have to say the ghost recon 3, call of duty 2, madden 06, and need for speed look AMAZING. These games aren't even finished yet and they look great. I honestly thought i was watching real life actors acting out these scenes at some points.

7. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I guess you haven't seen the Far Cry PS3 movie everyone's on about then :rolleyes:
    I recon it's pre-rendered, and there's a lot of evidence supporting this theory.

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

thats because it's single threaded, obiously xbox360 games will run in multiple threads :rolleyes: