*beep*

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Schiffi, May 27, 2003.

1. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

I was sitting there and out of nowhere my 15" PowerBook Beeped. The only thing I had open was Mozilla, Chatzilla, and I was connected for like an hour. It was a sharp beep under the trackpad. But the thing is nothing happened. My screen remained fine and the Book obviously did have any other noticable errors. Is Apple messing with my mind, or do I have a problem?

2. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Under the trackpad? That's an odd one. I know my iBook beeps occasionally, and it's the AirPort card, but unless I'm very much mistaken (a significant possibility), the AirPort card isn't under the trackpad on a TiBook. Is it?

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It's under the right side of the keyboard. My hard drive makes a beeping sort of sound every once and a while in my Dual/GHz/DDR PowerMac.

4. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    You're not going crazy, nor are you alone...possible explainations and discussions can be found in the Apple discussion forum - I searched for "beeping sound" in the PowerBook section and found all sorts of stuff, most of it pointing to hard drive :eek: issues.

5. Schiffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

Well, my Airport card is off. Harddrives beep? That normal? First time it happened for me.

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Well I don't know if it's normal and it's made me think a couple of times. It's not the sound hard drives make when the head impacts the disc so that part doesn't worry me but still I don't know what it is. So I back everything up every so often like I should anyways. I'm not sure this is your sound but the sound on my comptuer kind of sounds like the hard drive is going through some sort of self test or something.

7. Schiffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

LOL, it was Chatzilla. My bad. When someone marks a message as important, it beeps. Oh well, thanks for the help.

8. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

hah, yeah, i turn off beeps, but stupid iChat seems to "jump" in the dock at random times, making me think i have a new message, even though no one IMed me. fortunately, you don't link dock jumping to hard drive failures. that would have been a lot more interesting, though.

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

95% of the time phantom hardware beeping is from the airport card. perhaps the HD has a self-diagnostic and the beeping is related to that, but i would doubt it. there really aren't that many devices inside of a computer that beep...

pnw

10. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I want my AirPort card to beep, my Lime iBook is usualy quiet, a beep would scare the hell out of me and keep me awake at night when finishing work on my Mac :p I wonder what the beep sounds like :rolleyes: :cool:

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit