Beeping/Loud HD Noises/Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lilhil, Sep 28, 2006.

1. lilhil macrumors newbie

Hi all

I tried searching the site for my problem but did not come across my exact tale of trouble so here goes....just an hour or so ago I was using my G4 powerbook no problem...then it got incredibly slow and I could not force quit...tried to power up again after shut down and got stuck on bootup before OSX launches...tried again and got OSX going but slow as hell...then when I moved the machine a bit and it made a loud beeping noise reminiscent of a screech...it was running but the hard drive was making awful noises so I shut down...I haven't dropped or spilled anything on it...any ideas?

2. mdickson macrumors regular

You are going to need a new HD, here's hoping you have apple care.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Back-up any data you need on it NOW. Check the S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive afterwards.

4. lilhil thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

There are several ways, and here is one: http://helpdesk.wisc.edu/page.php?id=3810.

Unfortunately Google is your only friend in this matter since I haver never used a Mac beyond basic tasks. :eek:

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I agree that your hard drive might be toast but try running fsck. It might be able to help. :)

Edit: apparently Bill Gates' excellent link goes to a similar process. FWIW, this isn't really checking the SMART status so much as verifying and repairing the drive with the install discs, which is actually far more helpful in this instance. :cool: