Before I Buy: Wirless Keyboard & Mighty Mouse

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sobering, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Sobering macrumors regular

Hey guys. I am debating whether to keep my standard wired Apple keyboard and Mighty Mouse or to go wireless. How is the performance of the wireless? Will I need to plug something into my USB 2 ports in the back of my iMac, like a receiver or something, or is the signal generated to the infared receiver on the front like the Apple remote? Also, does the wireless keyboard still have USB 1 ports on it?

S

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I have the wireless keyboard and its performance is excellent. No problems whatsoever. I don't have the wireless MM, but from all accounts it's great as well.

No, you won't need to plug anything in - it's bluetooth.

No USB ports on the wireless keyboard.

3. Sobering thread starter macrumors regular

Do you need batteries or anything? I'm sure I could Google this but frankly, I'm lazy :p.

4. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

As long as your iMac has Bluetooth then you won't have to plug any receiver into it, the bluetooth receiver will be inside the computer itself.

In terms of performance, I have a Power Mac G5 with a Wireless Keyboard and Wireless Mighty Mouse and I have no issues whatsoever with performance, in fact I prefer the weight of the Wireless Mighty Mouse compared to the wired version.

If you want to ditch the wires, get the wireless Keyboard and Mouse. The performance will be excellent regardless of whether you go wired or wireless.

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Yes, you'll need batteries.

6. KevKaos macrumors 6502

Anyone have any idea if the Applecare warranty covers the batteries? I have heard from several people that depending on how much you use your iPod, that after about a year, the batteries start not holding a charge. If that is not true, I would be interested in your thoughts. I am waiting for my refurb 60GB iPod Video to arrive and still wondering if I should buy the Applecare.

7. Gamdoan macrumors newbie

Gamdoan

Both the Wireless Keyboard and Wireless Mighty Mouse use standard AA batteries. No need for a warranty. Just go to your local store and get new batteries.

They both accept rechargeable AA's as well.

8. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

They both come out of the box with batteries as well, so you won't need to buy any to start with.

I bought the wireless keyboard and Mighty Mouse for the office and they both work great. I think I'm going to get wireless for my home machine as well. :)

9. XyliX macrumors newbie

How long does the batteries last? I am thinking of buying the wireless keyboard and mouse as well, but I don't want to buy new batteries every week.

10. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Get rechargeables. They work great in my digital camera. Just make sure you get high-capacity batteries and a charger that turns itself off when it's done. Something like these:

http://www.amazon.com/EVECHDCWOB-Co...002-3084397-1277652?ie=UTF8&s=office-products

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Rec...ef=sr_1_2/002-3084397-1277652?ie=UTF8&s=photo

11. XyliX macrumors newbie

12. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

My experience with the original BT mouse is they last about 2 mos. Keyboard lasts a lot longer--6 mos. or more.

13. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

When the computer is asleep, is the bluetooth mouse consuming power? I'm wondering because I'm down two bars already, and the batteries have been in for less than a week and a half.

It may be the batteries, though, I found them sealed in a drawer, but who knows how old they are.

I keep my imac on all the time, it is mostly asleep though.