Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluewooster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
Oh no! The first two files worked beautifully but now subler quits unexpectedly every single time. To make matters worse, it "destroys" my source file (makes it unplayable). Ive looked through all the settings to make sure it isnt overwriting the original file so i dont see why this should be happening. Now i need to rerip these discs!

Any ideas why? Im using the latest beta if that matters.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Oh no! The first two files worked beautifully but now subler quits unexpectedly every single time. To make matters worse, it "destroys" my source file (makes it unplayable). Ive looked through all the settings to make sure it isnt overwriting the original file so i dont see why this should be happening. Now i need to rerip these discs!

Any ideas why? Im using the latest beta if that matters.

I had that happen once to me but since moving to the new beta I have have a lot fewer problems with crashing. At what point does it crash (importing metadata, saving, sending to queue, start queue, etc)? Are you adding metadata or making doing the OCR thing, remuxing, etc? Delete the app and reinstall. Also, if it is happening during SAVE, do a SAVE AS instead so you are not rewriting the file. The new beta (15b) has been very stable for me.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
No, it's not semantics. Closed caption will often look less "refined" than subtitles. Also, CC's will have things like [music playing], [sigh], [loud noise] etc alerting those who are hearing impaired to what else is going on in the movie besides dialog. Subtitles are generally only a translation of dialog.
I've never found that to be much of an annoyance. Certainly less distracting than bizarre OCR errors... and much less labor intensive.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I've never found that to be much of an annoyance. Certainly less distracting than bizarre OCR errors... and much less labor intensive.

Well...that's you. Drives me nuts. We are both just providing info to the OP, so he can decide what's his priorities/approach might be.

But it's not just semantics.:D

bluewooster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
I had some initial success with OCR on subler but cant replicate it - it must be something im doing. I drag my mp4 to subler, select only the VOB and then add it to the queue for remuxing, i then select a destination location and then hit start (this is where it quits unexpectedly). Alternatively, instead of remuxing it, i save it to a new location. But when i open it and select the subtitle track, export does nothing. I guess deep down i dont really understand subler as it just doesnt make sense that i could get two episodes to work and now none!

bluewooster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
Ok - i guess i didnt realize that the file needs to be imported - you cant just drag and drop. Ie. you need to open a new window then import the file. All is working well now.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Ok - i guess i didnt realize that the file needs to be imported - you cant just drag and drop. Ie. you need to open a new window then import the file. All is working well now.

No more crashing and eating files?

bluewooster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
Yeah - reinstalling the software seemed to stop the unexpected crashes. The "unusable" files had actually simply been saved files with only the subtitles checked off. Once I went back in and checked the video and audio streams, everything worked fine. As usual, my problems were my own poor understanding of subler!

I've found that I can speed up my workflow by importing all episodes into one file (only importing the subtitles). It takes a long time to create the file (due to OCR) but, once it's done, I can simply select each stream and export it (remembering to change the name appropriately as it always defaults to the same). I can do subs for 23 episodes in one foul swoop!

I'm curious why Subler does this so well and easily. I had downloaded several other pieces of software to use OCR for converting VOBs and they were all very daunting (having to correct matrices and such). Are there other tools out there that simply take their best guess and produce something reasonable like this?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah - reinstalling the software seemed to stop the unexpected crashes. The "unusable" files had actually simply been saved files with only the subtitles checked off. Once I went back in and checked the video and audio streams, everything worked fine. As usual, my problems were my own poor understanding of subler!

I've found that I can speed up my workflow by importing all episodes into one file (only importing the subtitles). It takes a long time to create the file (due to OCR) but, once it's done, I can simply select each stream and export it (remembering to change the name appropriately as it always defaults to the same). I can do subs for 23 episodes in one foul swoop!

I'm curious why Subler does this so well and easily. I had downloaded several other pieces of software to use OCR for converting VOBs and they were all very daunting (having to correct matrices and such). Are there other tools out there that simply take their best guess and produce something reasonable like this?
Nice trick you found. I'll have to keep it in mind.

Can't really answer your question but I agree, it's OCR works amazingly well. I use Subler all the time. I think it's worth sending the developer a few bucks.

zsolt67

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
Hi
I have similar problem maybe you can help me. I would like to extract a subtitle from free podcast downloaded with itunes, the format is mp4.
Looks like printed subtitle in 3rd track mp4info give me this info:

Track # 1 Info - TrackID 1 - TimeScale 44100 - Duration 00:28:21.418
Media Info: Language "Undetermined" - Type "soun:mp4a" - 73274 samples
MPEG-4 Config: Audio Stream - ObjectTypeIndication 0x40
MPEG-4 Audio AAC LC - 1 Channel(s) - SampleRate 44100
Self-synchronized
Track Meta type: "mdta" - 0 resource item(s)

Track # 2 Info - TrackID 2 - TimeScale 2500 - Duration 00:28:21.400
Media Info: Language "Undetermined" - Type "vide:avc1" - 42535 samples
Visual Track layout: x=0 y=0 width=640 height=480
MPEG-4 Config: Visual Stream - ObjectTypeIndication 0x21
AVC/H264 Video - Visual Size 640 x 480
AVC Info: 1 SPS - 1 PPS - Profile Baseline @ Level 3
NAL Unit length bits: 32
Synchronized on stream 1

Track # 3 Info - TrackID 3 - TimeScale 2500 - Duration 00:28:19.770
Media Info: Language "Undetermined" - Type "clcp:c608" - 881 samples
Unknown media type
Vendor code "...." - Version 0 - revision 0

I tried almost all demuxing solution but none recognised the 3rd track. If I see the video in iTunes or QT player the subtitle apear like sombody typing the characters and I can switch on and off the subtitle.
Do you have any idea how can I extract this kind of subtitle?

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Hi
I have similar problem maybe you can help me. I would like to extract a subtitle from free podcast downloaded with itunes, the format is mp4.
Looks like printed subtitle in 3rd track mp4info give me this info:

Track # 1 Info - TrackID 1 - TimeScale 44100 - Duration 00:28:21.418
Media Info: Language "Undetermined" - Type "soun:mp4a" - 73274 samples
MPEG-4 Config: Audio Stream - ObjectTypeIndication 0x40
MPEG-4 Audio AAC LC - 1 Channel(s) - SampleRate 44100
Self-synchronized
Track Meta type: "mdta" - 0 resource item(s)

Track # 2 Info - TrackID 2 - TimeScale 2500 - Duration 00:28:21.400
Media Info: Language "Undetermined" - Type "vide:avc1" - 42535 samples
Visual Track layout: x=0 y=0 width=640 height=480
MPEG-4 Config: Visual Stream - ObjectTypeIndication 0x21
AVC/H264 Video - Visual Size 640 x 480
AVC Info: 1 SPS - 1 PPS - Profile Baseline @ Level 3
NAL Unit length bits: 32
Synchronized on stream 1

Track # 3 Info - TrackID 3 - TimeScale 2500 - Duration 00:28:19.770
Media Info: Language "Undetermined" - Type "clcp:c608" - 881 samples
Unknown media type
Vendor code "...." - Version 0 - revision 0

I tried almost all demuxing solution but none recognised the 3rd track. If I see the video in iTunes or QT player the subtitle apear like sombody typing the characters and I can switch on and off the subtitle.
Do you have any idea how can I extract this kind of subtitle?

Open file with Subler or MP4Tools. Select the tracks you want to extract. Click export (or extract).

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Apple TV jailbreak install Firecore aTV Flash. Plays all file types beautifully. MKV and subs, no problem.

zsolt67

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
Open file with Subler or MP4Tools. Select the tracks you want to extract. Click export (or extract).

Subler cant open the mp4, mp4tools cant recognise 3rd track :(

----------

Apple TV jailbreak install Firecore aTV Flash. Plays all file types beautifully. MKV and subs, no problem.

I can play and read perfectly in itunes i would like to extrack not play only

zsolt67

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
Have you tried MKVMerge GUI?

yes, but doesnt recognise either.

Start to beleive this is some special cc but I have checked other podcast with subtitle and all has this format so looks like this is a standard for itunes, but than what makes this so hard to find the solution :) :(

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
yes, but doesnt recognise either.

Start to beleive this is some special cc but I have checked other podcast with subtitle and all has this format so looks like this is a standard for itunes, but than what makes this so hard to find the solution :) :(

The best thing I can come up with then is to try and see if the app Subtitle Edit (free) can see it and then maybe convert it to something else. Subtitle Edit recognizes a lot of different type of subtitles.

Sorry not to be of more help.:(

zsolt67

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
The best thing I can come up with then is to try and see if the app Subtitle Edit (free) can see it and then maybe convert it to something else. Subtitle Edit recognizes a lot of different type of subtitles.

Sorry not to be of more help.:(

Thanks but no luck.

here is the file, if anybody interestid, you can see the subtitle with quicktime player and itunes
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_pXC7k0_ZA0SXJLVUk4bV8yVlE

zsolt67

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
Nikolaj Olson the Subtitle Edit (Windows) developer did the miracle so now I can see the subtitle :) Thanks for your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.