Before I Return My Powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Thomas Anderson, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Thomas Anderson macrumors newbie

Apr 10, 2004
    Gulf Coast
    I did some searches and couldn't find much to help me so any information, advice, or witty banter would be greatly appreciated.

It appears the lower Ram Slot on my 15" 1.25 has decided on an early retirement. Spoke with Apple switched my 2 factory 512's in and out of both slots more times then I care to remember. So it looks like I will be sending my PB to Apple later this week.

My first question is has anyone else had this happen with their powerbook and had it fixed with no issues afterwards, or could this wind up being a ghost chase where they fix this one problem to only have another one pop-up a few days later?

My second question and I will call this my "I'm not really that Shady of a person but...." question. I would say that 90% of all my software was purchased legally including Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, and many others. However I do have a program or two that were "given" to me and not purchased. I am going to back-up everything up to my G5 but should I go ahead and remove all the software that I did not purchase or would I be safe leaving it on there? Not even sure if its legal for Apple to go snooping through my computer but just wanted to see if anyone else has had this dilemna.

Thank you for your time and any information. Really I am not that Shady!

Sorry for being so long winded.
  2. starcrossed macrumors regular

May 3, 2003
    San Antonio,TX
    I doubt if Apple technicians will go through everything on your hard drive and make sure your software is legally yours. Plus if your account is password-protected they might not be able to really look on your hard drive for anything, unless there is some way i'm not aware of that they can. But anyhow it just wise to back up your hard drive, just in case of the rare occassion Apple may want to just send you a brand new Powerbook.
  3. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    I would say this is a hardware issue. That said, my guess is you will get a new machine and need to restore your data. I sent an iBook back and they had to do a logic board repair and they sent a brand new iBook so I was glad I backed up.

As for the symptoms, I have only heard of this in desktops, and its a logic board issue,. My guess is manufacturing some solder leads did not get full contact.
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yeah, a lot of the time they'll just give you a new one instead of fixing the problem, since that would take too long with the demand on their repairers being very high.

Actually, Apple doesn't even give you a new one if they don't have to. They'll just give you a refurb. That's what they do with their iPod battery replacement program.....give you a refurb. This is why engraved iPods take longer to replace.....they have to remove the back and put it on the new iPod. Otherwise, it only takes a few days.

This is where all your broken computers go. Your logic board goes fuzz, they give you a refurb, they keep yours, repair the logic board when they get the time, wipe your HDD, install the latest version of OSX or what not, and when someone else has a broken "______" on their Powerbook, they replace the broken one with your fixed PB.

Anyway, delete your illegal software. I have a few unpurchased programs as well, and I'd delete them. I plan on buying them all when I graduate soon, though.
  5. vraxtus macrumors 65816

Aug 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA

I'm not sure about that.... mine ended up being a dud and all they did was just replace my logic board... not give me a new comp.
  6. Peter9 macrumors member

Jun 26, 2004
    don't worry the least about your illegal software. i had to sent my old ibook in 3 times and i had plenty of illegal stuff and they never said or noticed anything
  7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    They'll replace the logic board, and ONLY the logic board. Unless of course they find something else needing repair/replacement. They only give new iPods out instead of repairing.
    That said, you'll probably get it back in 2 or 3 business days. I know they probably told you a 5-7, but that's just to cover their ass ;)
  8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Bah, I forgot about your other question :D If you're really paranoid about it, make another admin account, and put your not-so-legal software in your home folder. Even if they look, they'd have to dig pretty deep to find it, and then you can bitch them out for poking around in there too much ;)
  9. NuPowerbook macrumors member

Jan 17, 2004
    I hate to say this, but every time I have had a computer in for repair to apple it has come back with a new issue. I am currently "in negotiations" with customer relations to see what can be done for me. It has been in 3 times on the same issue, and has come back twice with new issues completely unrelated to the issue at hand.
  10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    That's what you don't know... :rolleyes:

I don't think they are that snoopy to start looking in everyone's mac... but you never know, I have a private customer who gave me his mobile phone for repairing, he forgot the sim-card there and asked me to backup the info there for his new phone... only if his wife could read all of the SMS :rolleyes: :p :p