Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
pdpfilms said:
Could never get help this good on a PC forum. Thanks Eric5h5.

I dunno...DellRumors is a pretty sweet site! :p :D

Also, note, if it is like Panther Archive and Install, apparently there will be an option to transport the home directory over, or to retain preferences, and if you select it, then you will keep your account and all preferences. If you don't, then your account files will be in a directory in the saved system folder, and you'll have to move the ones you want over to your new account folder.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
mkrishnan said:

Also, note, if it is like Panther Archive and Install, apparently there will be an option to transport the home directory over, or to retain preferences, and if you select it, then you will keep your account and all preferences. If you don't, then your account files will be in a directory in the saved system folder, and you'll have to move the ones you want over to your new account folder.

"Axim shuffle" what the hell, i hope that is fake link They stoll the slogen and the shuffle arrows

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
pdpfilms said:
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha i can't deny it, that is pretty sweet.

It's almost a tribute site to MacRumors...someone here put it up, and there was a thread about it a while back.

Puckhead, of course it's a spoof. Did you *see* the iPod made out of a brick?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
pdpfilms said:
......um......
...somebody else wanna say it?

Shoot, now you have me thinking it would have been more fun to play this out for a while.

Yes, ummm, I have my Axim Shuffle on pre-order. At least Dell didn't go out of business five years ago like Apple did! :p

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
mkrishnan said:

That's the funniest thing I've seen in a while. Nice job whoever created it. :D

Also nice job on this thread. I have always simply upgraded without wiping the HD and have had great success. I think I'll continue that tradition with Tiger. ~Josh

bostonwhaler1

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Just chiming in with another vote for the "Don't bother reformatting" camp.

After many many many OSX installs (daily, ha ha), I have never had an issue with NOT reformatting the drive. Archive and Install is a great way to get up and running with your new OS is basically no time flat. One of my favorite features of OSX actually. I would however suggest repairing permissions and checking your hard drive before you throw that 10.4 disk in, just to be sure that everything's kosher.

So fear not, enlightened switchers! Your road to a clean Tiger install shall be a smooth one.

And now, we wait...

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
pdpfilms said:
Could never get help this good on a PC forum. Thanks Eric5h5.

Hey! ;)

Oh, and I edited it with new info on Archive and Installing, etc. And for the nitpickers, I changed the order so you backup before unplugging everything among others.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
bostonwhaler1 said:
Just chiming in with another vote for the "Don't bother reformatting" camp.

After many many many OSX installs (daily, ha ha), I have never had an issue with NOT reformatting the drive. Archive and Install is a great way to get up and running with your new OS is basically no time flat. One of my favorite features of OSX actually. I would however suggest repairing permissions and checking your hard drive before you throw that 10.4 disk in, just to be sure that everything's kosher.

So fear not, enlightened switchers! Your road to a clean Tiger install shall be a smooth one.

And now, we wait...

And I don't know all the technical features, but one reason not to bother with a reformat and clean install is because if you're just going to do that and move those preferences back over to your newly installed OS, you may bring any problems back with you to your new system. There's no point if you're going to just move settings over to Tiger.

Maybe I'm wrong though. So if you don't mind doing a fresh install and reinstalling all apps and redoing all screen/LCD calibrations, system preferences, and all app preferences, then cool. Otherwise, what's the point?

QUESTION: If someone were to wipe their drive and do a full reformat and all....hell, even zero their entire drive, and they were to install OSX Tiger on their system clean and fresh, what version of iLife would they have on their system? Same as their previous version? :confused: Or maybe they would need their old system disks, or their copy of iLife 04 or 05, to reinstall iLife? :confused: :confused:

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Eric5h5 said:
Yep.

Leave it for a while just in case, then dump it.

Egads! Nope.... :)

--Eric

Just got a bit unsure now :eek:

if you choose upgrade: that updates your OS and keeps your files, home directory etc. :confused: and deletes the old OS files or??

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
other question : (i don't want to open a new thread fo that because it has to do with OS X installing)

a friend from university is pulling the trigger on mac mini in may but he is buying it in the US (because it's cheaper there and he is there at that time anyways) so the question is: is it possible to isntall the OS in a different Language with the same disk ? (he wants the OS in german)

or do i have do lend him my (german?) 10.3.7 install disk and he updates then to Tiger with his disks ?

i'm rather clueless about this whole thing because i've never reisntalled so far

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Platform said:
Just got a bit unsure now :eek:

if you choose upgrade: that updates your OS and keeps your files, home directory etc. :confused: and deletes the old OS files or??

That's exactly the difference between Upgrade and Archive & Install: Upgrade overwrites the old system files, A&I archives them in a folder called "Previous System". Your home directory and settings are kept intact in both cases (using A&I you can choose not to keep them, but why would you).

takao said:
other question : (i don't want to open a new thread fo that because it has to do with OS X installing)

a friend from university is pulling the trigger on mac mini in may but he is buying it in the US (because it's cheaper there and he is there at that time anyways) so the question is: is it possible to isntall the OS in a different Language with the same disk ? (he wants the OS in german)

or do i have do lend him my (german?) 10.3.7 install disk and he updates then to Tiger with his disks ?

i'm rather clueless about this whole thing because i've never reisntalled so far

The OS X system disk were always multilingual, i.e. you can choose during installation which is your prefered language. Tiger will surely be the same.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
thx everybody

i wasn't sure if the dvds/cds were multilingual (which normally hardly any software company does) we simply gonna try it out ;)

(i found the thing for switching the language but i didn't get to test it ou completly ...thanks for the tip)

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Mechcozmo said:
3. Back up your data! Though you rarely hear about an OS X install destroying a drive, you should still back up your hard disk. Or at least your important stuff.

... and if you don't have a large external hard drive, now might be the time to consider getting one so you can back everything up. At the very least, back up things that you consider important to CD/DVD/iPod.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Abstract said:
QUESTION: If someone were to wipe their drive and do a full reformat and all....hell, even zero their entire drive, and they were to install OSX Tiger on their system clean and fresh, what version of iLife would they have on their system? Same as their previous version? :confused: Or maybe they would need their old system disks, or their copy of iLife 04 or 05, to reinstall iLife? :confused: :confused:
Easy, they'd have no version of iLife: Tiger doesn't come w/ iLife.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I think the days before a known major operating system release that you intend to upgrade to are great days to sort through all the stuff you've accumulated and only keep what you truly need. Here's how I do it:

Anything that I definitely need now or soon I keep.
Anything that I don't need now, but probably will need in the future I archive. The archival method I use depends on how often I expect to use the data I'm archiving.
The remainder consists of stuff that's out of date or never gets used - this stuff gets deleted.

billyb

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2003
Dumb question

CubaTBird said:
put tiger install dvd in.. boot to it.. launch disk utility.. format disk using "write random zero's option" ----> clean as possible install

This is a naive question which is a "hangover" from my PC days. Once, when I reformatted on of my old Windows PCs, I deleted the drivers for the CD drive and could then not reinstall Windows. I assume from CubaTBird's comment that if I boot to the Tiger CD and format my hard drive once booted to the CD, I won't have this problem? I'll be able to continue with the Tiger installation?

This is probably the route I'd like to take. Though as most people said, it's probably more psychological than necessary.

-bb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.