Beginner Java Programmer Question

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Hylekmi, Jan 5, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Im very new at this(2nd class) and I have a slight issue. I am currently using TextWrangler and I need to find a VERY easy way to compile. I am in a class that has ALOT of windows users and they use a program where there is a button to compile. It is my understanding that, to compile in text wrangler you need to use a script. Is there any way around that? or is there another program i can use that is easier? Thanks for the Help!

-Mike

2. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

What program are your Windows using collegues using ? Because most likely it's either Netbeans or Eclipse, both of which are available for OS X.

3. Guest

Yep, time to dive into an IDE that will let you compile and debug. I prefer Eclipse for Mac but Netbeans is also a great tool as well. Both are free.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Its like notepad or something that comes stock on a PC. I know they had to download a JDK and that I did not have to because I'm on a MAC. Ill try those suggestions too. Thanks!
    -Mike

5. Guest

You can code in them, but you will find it easier in an IDE as it will help you with the coding by pointing out various errors. Another that is fairly decent is JGrasp (they have it for Mac) that is more like Notepad. JGrasp is more powerful than using notepad but less powerful than a full IDE like Eclipse. JGrasp will take a little configuring but they have good help files.

6. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Notepad++ with external tools pre-configured ?

Anyway, here's how to replicate it in TextWrangler : http://www.davalign.com/resources/compile-and-run-java-files-with-textwrangler-on-mac.php

2nd link on google with the query "text wrangler compile".

7. Guest

8. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Agreed JGrasp is the way to go. There is a built in debugger that allows you to inspect variable contents and a built in terminal where you can type java commands and see their output, or create new objects and interact with them without compiling a test program.

9. thread starter macrumors regular

10. Guest

I think they dropped support for it. Just use the proper tool for the job... Try JGrasp or Eclipse.

11. macrumors member

naples98

Make sure you are going to

"Your Hard Drive/Users/Your User Name/Library/Application Support/TextWrangler"

and not

"Your Hard Drive/Library/Application Support"

12. thread starter macrumors regular

positive... maybe its changed because of lion?

13. macrumors member

naples98

Maybe, I'm using Snow Leopard right now and don't have access to my Lion machine. The directory is there on Snow Leopard though.

14. macrumors 65816

jiminaus

On my Lion, it is there. But under Lion, ~/Library became "hidden".

To get to ~/Library in Lion from a Finder window or from a Save As sheet:
    1. Hit Shift+Command+G to bring up the Go to Folder sheet
    2. Type in ~/Library
    3. Click go

You should then be able to navigate to Application Support/TextWrangler/Scripts.

15. macrumors 68030

I would also suggest installing eclipse or something like that. Do it on a weekend, usually it takes a bit to get to know an IDE and to set it up.

It's so long ago that I did my Java course... I don't remember what IDE I used.

16. thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, Im back to TextWrangler. I am going to try to run that script. But after i do how do i compile it? Will it just automatically compile it and then run the program when i go to run program?
    Like i said, I'm VERY new at this. So please bear with me

17. thread starter macrumors regular

got it!

----------

Worked perfectly! Thanks