Beginning of new Mac based magazine

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by Mudbug, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I'm currently seeking ideas and interests from other people like myself on what they would be interested in reading about in a new mac-centric magazine. Hopefully staying on the pro end of things, away from the adolescent feel of MacAddict, and more professional equipment & reviews than MacWorld. Both are fine, but don't offer what I want.

I want reviews of things that people actually use. I want tips and tricks for software that are actually helpful in a long-term sense, instead of obscure and useful once.

Topics are welcome
    Format ideas are welcome
    Layout ideas are welcome
    NAME ideas are welcome, and if it's picked, a free subscription for you if I make it...
    even story submissions are welcome - review your own software and hardware if you want... I'll take anything at this point.

Developers: here's an open invitation to get your new software noticed

Please either post in this thread, or mail me at macmag@sport.rr.com

Thx, and here's hoping
    Mudbug

2. macrumors 6502

Haha...I'm bored so i'll give just some thoughts off the top of my head for fun...

www.macroots.com (my favorite)
    www.macmag.com
    www.earthmac.com
    www.macintoshmag.com
    www.applereview.com
    www.macoogle.com
    www.applegalaxy.com
    www.appleware.com
    www.macland.com

And do a section that brings together material and links from all over the web so that I can send my friends there to convince there parents into getting a Mac and I won't have to do any digging. :D
    And for the layout do something with tabs but make them like the new tabs in Panther.

EDIT: Ohh and for the review section try to make it sorta how Epinion.com does. I like there Review system.

3. thread starter Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

must have not been clear...
    this is a _print_ magazine, on paper, distributed to magazine and booksellers like MacWorld and MacAddict, not a web based 'zine.

but thanks for the ideas anyway, I'm sure in time there will be an online version too...

4. macrumors 6502

Ohh...OPPS...My mistake...hahahahahahha....Umm...I still like
    Mac Roots

5. macrumors 6502a

How about:

1. It's A Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac World

2. WinBlows

3. Applause

4. Mmm, ð¸

5. BILL!

6. thread starter Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I'm presently bending towards

macpro

or just simply X

7. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Look at the ones currently, MacAddict, MacWorld.

They have in-depth articles, what I want is more interviews with apple.

Fun stuff, good how to articles.

Gotta also talk about things others don't want to touch.

P2P -- No Mag I have ever said anything about it, nada nothing.

And Make it user friendly. :)

8. macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I just don't see enough technical article's. Upgrading the Flat-panel iMac is the most technical thing i have ever seen in macworld. I would want more hardware, more hardware how-to's, like how to install a processor upgrade. MacWorld did a small review of them, but it was a page and nothing more than numbers. I want how-to's, LOTS of pictures, and a article that is easy to understand without it explaining it to me like i am 3.

9. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I think a higher-tech Mac magazine might be nice...

especially with the influx of PC and Linux users... they might like a more technical magazine.

arn

10. macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Higher tech would be nice, but remember that we at MacRumors are not the general public.

P-Worm

11. thread starter Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

But I'm not really shooting for the "general public" - I realize my market is already somewhat of a niche, but there are readers there.

Keep up the suggestions... I appreciate all of this.

12. macrumors member

I like the sound of macpro a lot better than X....especially if ur planning on a more technical mag. I think people would really apreciate a mac technical magazine since they already have MacAddict and MacWorld.

13. macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I'd like to see something on overclocking older machines with voided warrantees, with more pictures and explanations than xlr8yourmac.com

14. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'd be interested in helping out with the design/layout of it maybe.

What kind of business plan do u have so far? What money is involved?

15. thread starter Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

heh... well, so far my business plan is to narrow down the field of content for the magazine, then figure out how to make it.

As for $$, i have officially none at the moment, but i'm thinking more along the lines of an advertising-based mag, instead of a high subscription cost. I think there's plenty of high-end equipment and software manufacturers and resellers that could truly benefit from a high-end magazine that caters to their specific niche market.

I do, however, like the idea of the older warranty-voided machine stories, or at least a section like slowmac or something, with ideas on what to do with older equipment.

16. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

From my experience in low-budget television production, your advertisers will be the key to getting anywhere.

What u will need, besides a really good pitch, is something to show them...maybe a mockup of what u want to do, some layouts, target audience, etc.

There's lots of ways to do this, but u need to figure out how to convince them "why they need to advertise with u."

17. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Let's see... MacTech is taken...

MacWhiz?
    MacWiz?
    Maxpert? (ugh)
    MacElite?
    MacGuru?
    MacFreak?
    MacMaster?
    MacVet?

MacPro sounds good.

I definitely like the idea of a more technical Mac magazine. But, it should still have to fun feeling of, say, MacAddict. If it gets too serious, it's gonna be just plain boring.

If this works out, please ship internationally! :D (I'm in Japan)

irmongoose

18. thread starter Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

wow, my little idea is already going international!

Well, one thing at a time. I'll tell you what, irmongoose, I'll mail you a copy when it comes out, and you can do some pushing around Japan and get it distributed there when the time comes. Right now I'm still at the stage of figuring out distribution in the states, much less elsewhere, and let alone translating it into anything other than english. I have enough problems with that language as it is...:)

19. Moderator emeritus

Perhaps, Macom X :) It would be full of radical ideas.

Maybe, ProMacFessional with the editor's opinion column being ConMacFessional.

Definitely need Graphic Design, Photography, Video, Music, UNIX, Programming, and general technology represented.

20. thread starter Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

21. thread starter Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

new cover in the macpro folder submitted by 000111one111000

Send me more... I dare you :)

and that goes for everyone.

22. macrumors 6502a

mangoman

If you're serious about this, Mudbug, then I'm serious about designing a cover layout for you. PM me... I'd like to send you some work samples.

23. macrumors 6502

Has anyone here read MacFormat or Macworld Plus? (The British put out the best magazines). These both come with disks and have a lot of what was mentioned here. In fact, I think a recent one had a full layout on changing out a processor. I am able to pick these up at my local Barnes and Noble. They are pretty pricey - about $14, but the disks have a lot of stuff and they are a great read.:)

24. macrumors member

Yeah, MacFormat kicks ass

Why does the UK get the best tech mags? MacFormat, T3 (if you don't know what that is, get to Barnes and Noble and drop the 8 dollars to find out), and others would be good role models. I saw the cover with the G5 on it and it was not so good. I know in this forum alone there are tons of graphic designers that would help out.
    Being in a Mac community rules, you guys are awesome!

25. macrumors member

BTW, how about a magazine that isn't so afraid of Apple that they would go ahead and at least TALK about rumors, and unsupported tweaks? MacAddict heads in the right direction, and MacWorld is like a long Apple press release.