Behold the power of the Cell & PS3

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Nov 10, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So did you believe the hype. 1080p gaming. 60FPS. Far exceeding the 360 as the PS3 is True HD.....

Well the first batch of reviews are in and do they prove sony to be the proveribal BS spreaders from hell or heavenly graphics angels from cloud nine ??

Lets see...

First

Tony Hawks Project 8.

Gamestop

oooch.

IGN

Not looking good then...

Next up the power of Gengi

Gamestop

Frame rate problems and 720p highest resolution.. but what of 1080p sony ?

I'll add more games as the reviews come in.. But initially it looks like the Sony BS engine has decieved us all again.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Pc's/Macs running Vista & DX10 are going to put all those console's to shame. Console are nice but this needed to be said. DX10 is going to kick rear.

3. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

muy interesante indeed. I think those other 7 processors are taking a nap.

4. blitzkrieg79 macrumors 6502

blitzkrieg79

It doesn't surprise me that the first batch of games for PS3 is plain simply on par with XBOX360. As advanced and radical as the Cell processor is (lots of parallisation, requiring new programming techniques) it will probably take 2-3 years before we will see a significant difference between PS3 and other systems when programmers will actually stop being lazy and learn how to program for multicore, highly parallel architectures.

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Interesting, though it may not be the PS3's fault and could be that of the developers. Let's face it, Tony Hawk's dev crew has never been great with graphics.

For that point, have you seen Gran Turismo HD? It's amazing. And I don't mean that in the sense of Dead Rising amazing, I mean AMAZING. Gorgeous. While I hate racing games, I'll have to say that graphically, GTHD is by far the most beautiful game ever made. And it uses the PS3 for graphics.

So again, before judgement passes on it, let the rest of the devs come out with their games.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Laughable. I can't believe how Sony pulled all this BS out it's arse a la PS2, but was so glad to see people have learnt and basically laughed at them. I love it how the PS3 has dropped power, been delayed etc, whereas the 360 has actually improved it's output. Incredible.

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I havent seen GTHD yet, but will keep an eye out.

I'm reserving judgment until all the games are out, just that these were the first two reviewed. I'll add more as they come in.

As long as Resistance gets a glowing review I'll be happy.

8. pionata macrumors 6502

A good console doesnt make good games, we all knew those games would suck, the other games in the series sucked, and they were started before the ps3 kit was released.

Fact is, look at what Final Fantasy 12 can do with 4 megs of video ram and a ps2. A console game can be optimized like a pc game will never be.

Im looking foward to my ps3 and finaly making pc gaming a thing of the past for me. The only thing the pc was good for in gaming was lowering settings becose your computer coudnt handle it 2 years after buying a 500$ graphic card, having games installations that take forever and of course the illegal download of thoses games.

Honestly, the different between 1080i and 1080p is barely noticable. Ill be quite happy to pop up and play FF13 or MGS4 in my ps3 no matter 1080i or p.

9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

It also costs more than a 360 and a PS3 and a few games

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And will never be as optimised as a games console either making it money so, SO well spent.

11. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

and six - twelve months later they release a new gen version making your last one look like crap... Oh well another $600 upgrade here you come....

12. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

And you *still* can't play any decent fighting games on it

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I could never follow the PC upgrade game. DirectX 10, yea it's nice and all but the way it shows its age is rubbish. Suppose neither are perfect. Consoles don't have the precision of keyboard and mouse, no DirectX 10. PC's have the precision, the super power but at a price.

Funny. With my new iMac and all that I'm playing Street Fighter 3 Alpha on my GBA more than anything else :D take that, everyone.

14. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Can we get something straight right now: the cell processor is NOT a multi-core processor. It is a single core processor based on the PowerPC architecture with 7 SPEs - basically mini co-processors, but they are not general purpose cores.

15. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I know that these issues are more related to the developers knowing the hardware then anything... but...

Has anyone watched "Bonus Round" on GameTrailers.com? Specifically Part 2, I was very surprised how much the founder of Naughty Dog dissed the PS3.

His suggestion was 'get a 360 instead', 'skip PS3 for at least a year or two', and there wasn't a huge hardware difference.

He also made some other good points. Like the fact that the developer software for it really sucked compared to 360, their online service is a joke compared to Live, and that most third parties are going to make games on 360 first.

His reasonings for that last bit made sense... 360 has been around longer and has a much better dev kit, it's cheaper to make a game on 360.

Add to that, he said even if the PS3 was a lot more capable then 360 third parties would not likely take advantage of that. They need to release multi-platform, and spending extra money on the PS3 version will not make them any more money.

Again, this coming from Naughty Dog has to tell Playstation fans something...

16. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I didn't know that - from the press releases being put out by the cell developers they made it seem as a multi core. many thanks on clearing that up

EDIT: a true multicore ala the core duo or similarly

17. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Yeah, why people think this, I don't know... I mean, if you're to say that, then a G4 is dual-core

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

To be fair, first gen games almost always are rough (Madden 06 for the 360 anyone), but yet again it looks like Sony's hype machine wrote checks the hardware can't cash.

And for all the talk of developers being "lazy" I think that's mainly a fan boy cop-out. These guys have games to make on a deadline and on a budget. If the PS3 is hard/harder to code for that means the developers can get less accomplished in a given amount of time and on a given budget. How is that their fault? It's like calling someone forced to ride a bike w/oval wheels lazy because they can't keep up w/someone ridding a bike w/round wheels. And it's not like Sony got out all the dev kits super early giving developers time to really become familiar w/the PS3.

Lethal

19. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

If it is harder to code for a particular architechture should it not then fall upon the dev kit for possibly being inadequate in providing the tools necessary for dev to create their games

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

It is first gen games, and I would be willing to bet that Sony told the developers to get something out NOW. Launch games are hardly telling of a systems potential, ie. the craptastic 360 launch --> a year later, GoW, Dead Rising, Rainbow 6, Splinter Cell, etc.

Tony Hawk hasn't been good since TH4, although the demo for this one was pretty fun on my 360, I dunno if it still has the magic that the first few had.

21. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Adding fuel to the fire

It could be vast microsoft conspiracy to get the developers of tony hawk to create a poorer game for the ps3

BTW I have a 360 and this all being said in jest

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

23. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL.... They must have got to Activision & Ubisoft too then..

damn those dirty apes.....

24. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Thanks for doing this.

BTW... a lot of us were not deceived. Seeing is, as they say, believing.