Behold & tremble in awe, mortals.. Snowzilla!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yellow, Dec 22, 2005.

1. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10547826/

[​IMG]

For the love of Manischewitz, I've got to move. It's going to be 60F (15.5C) on Christmas day. I want a giant snowman in my front yard!!!

Anyone else have a giant snowman in their front yard, or stuck in a too warm place for Christmas?
    Frankly, I don't know how you Southern Hemispherians do it...

2. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Haha, sweet stuff.

Our neighbors' kids built a nice snow fort, complete with roof, windows and doors... but the roof caved in soon after they built it. Shoddy engineering is my guess. ;)

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

That is awesome! I wish I had enough snow to do that in my yard. Unfortunately, we got crazy warm here (high 40s to low 50s) a few days ago and its all gone now. :mad:

4. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

Kids. They never learn. :rolleyes: :)

5. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I can do very nicely without snow where I am, but that is one picturesque scene.

6. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Just wait til they grow up.

We usually get a big one goin, nuthin' like that but around 6 ft.

7. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

I would seriously build some HUGE stuff in my yard if I had that much snow to work with. I always took it for granted when I lived in New England, but after so long in the South, I really miss snow. And seasons. And no humidity.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Unfortunately I do not have a giant snowman in my yard, as our 12" of snow is covered in a thick layer of ice at the moment. :p

9. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

That's far too big for humans to have built themselves. I opt either for Alien construction or the hand of an Intelligent Designer. One lightning storm, and that thing's going to go off on its own, smashing cars and wrecking havoc in the nearest village. I'm glad I live far away. God bless these poor souls, for they know know what they've wrought...

10. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

LOL!

Don't make Snowzilla mad, you wouldn't like it if it was mad.

11. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

I wonder if King Kong can beat Snowzilla? Probably depends on location

Alaska: Advantage Snowzilla over King Kong
    Jungles: Advantage King Kong over Snowzilla

:D

12. neut macrumors 68000

neut

reminds me of the GIGANTIC snowballs we'd roll in the school yard as a kid ... we had a huge field and would start rolling a ball at first break and use up ALL the snow. too fun ... now there's no where near that kind of snowfall.

it's the second day of winter and it's almost 40 F here. :( it almost hit 0 F last week ...

peace | neut

13. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Aw man, that sucks. I'm headed up to SLC for Christmas and I was hoping for some snow. Living in AZ has seriously destroyed my Christmas spirit. The Weather Widget says it's supposed to be 80°F here on Christmas day! No chance of a giant snowman here. Maybe I could build a dirt man, we've got plenty of that...

14. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

Heh. At least you don't have to mow a lawn.. rock lawns don't grow so quickly. :)

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Somewhere in the midwest someone did a bigger one a couple of years ago. Used a buldozer to roll/assemble it.

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

15.5C? Luxury.

Today (23rd December) it's forecast to hit 38C (100.4F) and tomorrow it's meant to top out at 40C (104F).

I'd kill a lot of people for it to be 15.5C. A hell of a lot of people.

Still, the beach is a mighty fine place for Christmas and there's nothing like plonking your arse down in a comfy chair on Boxing Day in an air conditioned house to watch the cricket on the telly and the plants wilting outside.

In all seriousness it's another hot, dry, windy and therefore fireblown Christmas. We have a state-wide total fire ban on for the next few days. That means NO fires, no flames, nothing. There are already a number of small but dangerous fires burning around Sydney and with the weather about to turn really nasty there are bound to be more. The annual Carols by Candlelight concert could end up being Carols by Maglite again but there's just no point having any chance for the states to go up in flames again. A couple of years ago we lost somewhere in the vicinity of 17 million acres to fires across a relatively contiguous area of NSW, Vic and the ACT.

For you americans, that's 26,562 square miles and would be the equivalent of the states of Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and the District of Columbia burning to the ground. For just one state, West Virginia would be gone.

For you Brits, that's one third of Britain, gone. Britain, not England, I mean the whole lot.

Yeah, that's a lot of land and that's what we run the risk of losing very year but especially these tinder dry years. Most of the countryside is inaccessible and just so vast it's difficult to stop the fires until they get to a populated area where the firefighters can use the roads etc. But our trees are full of explosive eucalyptus oil and most are designed to only seed when burnt - so fires are inevitable. I just hate them so much, I hate waking up and not being able to see for the smoke and having ash falling out of the sky like dirty snow.

17. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

I couldn't dell with that.. Christmas is meant to be cold and snowy!

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No it's not, it should be hot and lazy.

19. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

Southern Hemispherians. :rolleyes:

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Northerners. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

-OR-

[​IMG]

I know where I'd rather be...

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't think you used enough emphasis. My Christmas is going to be lazy! Ohh yeah! Where is Duff-Man?

22. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

That's summer!

Winter should be cold and snowy :D

Can't wait till it snow again here in Connecticut. Wanna build a bigger Snowzilla!

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No, I was too lazy to put the emphasis in.

24. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Erm, it is summer here.

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Forgiven... :D

I'd write more, but it's just too... damn... h...