Beige Desktop G3 Died

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by 512ke, Jan 19, 2004.

1. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

Yes, probably it deserved to die a dignified death, but until yesterday my beige G3 desktop computer was chugging along.

On startup, nothing happens. There is a half second noise of perhaps the hard disc spinning, then nix.

Any helpful suggestions? Apple repair? Private repair? Just remove the hard drive and buy another? Give up?

My kids do use the computer.

Thank you.

2. Santiago macrumors regular

Given that you can get another one on eBay for $100-$150, and that repairs will likely run at least that much, that baby should probably stay dead.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

What exactly did it do? Did you get the startup gong? Can you boot from the CD?

4. 512ke thread starter macrumors 6502a

512ke

Staying dead

Santiago, you are probably right. However it has sentimental value (I still beat myself up for selling my vintage Apple IIe, which worked).

Horrortaxi, I could not get it to gong. However, I will take your good advice and try booting from the CD. I didn't think of that! Thanks!

5. pncc macrumors regular

It won't get to the boot process so a CD startup is moot.

It is most likely the power supply.

6. 512ke thread starter macrumors 6502a

512ke

Power Supply

pncc, thank you for your post. Probably you are right. I opened the cover and listened. When I hit the power key, the momentary noise that results comes from the power supply. Then zilch. It's either eBay time or eMac time.

Of probably little interest to anyone, I opened up my Mac Centris 610 (which works) to see if I could cannibalize its power supply. No go.

Maybe it's time for a Mac burial...

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

If its any help, I had a similar situation on my PC. The power supply came on for about 1/2 sec and then nothing.

After 3 power supplies with same result, I found out the supply was fine and my mobo was dead.

Either way, I would suggest you pull the drive and get a good used mac here or eBay.

Good Luck.