Beige G3/233 ZIF in B&W??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MacPhreak, Dec 6, 2004.

1. MacPhreak macrumors regular

If I stick a G3/233 from a Beige MT in a B&W, will it boot? I'm replacing my MT with a B&W, but to keep costs down, I'm after a barebones unit since I have video, RAM, etc, and a G4 ZIF. I just need to be able to boot the B&W to flash the ROM so it can use the G4.

Thanks all!

2. MacPhreak thread starter macrumors regular

Nobody knows? Oh, well, just have to wait & see, I guess.

3. chv400 macrumors 6502

I dont see why it wouldn't work but you may need to adjust the jumpers in the B&W so that it will tell the ZIF to operate at 233mhz. What I'm not sure about is wether or not the slower bus speed on the 233 ZIF will prevent it from working in the B&W that has a bus speed of 100 mhz. I'm pretty sure it will work since there are some G4 ZIFs that force it to opperate at 66mhz and it still boots.

4. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

A 66 Mhz bus cpu will probably not work with the bus speed set at 100. But, take a look at

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/OC.html

you can set the B&W's bus speed at 66 MHz. You have to do this yourself, it's not automatically taken care of by the CPU, as far as I know.

5. MacPhreak thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, guys, you reminded me of one important detail I had overlooked: the jumper block. I had forgotten all about it since the G4 ZIF I am currently using is one of the types with dipswitches.

Anyway, I got the info on setting the jumpers for bus speed & clock speed, and I double-checked my processor and it's a 266, not a 233, so I'm hoping the jump from 266 to 300 will be stable long enough for me to flash the B&W. I couldn't find any info for speeds lower than 300 for the B&W.

Thanks much.