Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluetrepidation

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
I have a Beige G3 with an upgraded 400MHz G3 chip.
Booted, ran for a few min, opened Safari and it went blank.
Now it will not boot. No power light. Only thing that happens it the power supply spools up. No mac chime either.

New ROM Rec C
Raytheon VRM module

WHAT HAPPENED? This is the SECOND machine that died on me. The first one died b/c I didn't update the VRM but apparently this didn't help. With the original it didn't even boot. Motherboard just died.

I just want to know WHY?

A.J.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
bluetrepidation said:
I have a Beige G3 with an upgraded 400MHz G3 chip.
Booted, ran for a few min, opened Safari and it went blank.
Now it will not boot. No power light. Only thing that happens it the power supply spools up. No mac chime either.

New ROM Rec C
Raytheon VRM module

WHAT HAPPENED? This is the SECOND machine that died on me. The first one died b/c I didn't update the VRM but apparently this didn't help. With the original it didn't even boot. Motherboard just died.

I just want to know WHY?

A.J.

all I can think of is maybe you need a new pram battery?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
bluetrepidation said:
Nope battery is good, tested it with my volt meter.

A.J.

Did you try hitting the power reset button on the logicboard? Will it work with the old processor?

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
Sometimes its static in the motherboard. Take it out and de-static ize it(spelling). Have you tried getting your old zif and putting it back and see if its the motherboard or the 400 mhz zif?

bluetrepidation

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
applemacdude said:
Sometimes its static in the motherboard. Take it out and de-static ize it(spelling). Have you tried getting your old zif and putting it back and see if its the motherboard or the 400 mhz zif?

I have 3 G3 ZIFs here. The original and two 400MHz. None of them do anything. I'll try to clean everything and see what happens.

A.J.

bluetrepidation

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
mklos said:
Did you try hitting the power reset button on the logicboard? Will it work with the old processor?

Yes, same thing happens.

I'd just like to know why this happens. Not to upset about busting the machine but not knowing WHY it broke is driving me nuts.

A.J.

bluetrepidation

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
Fixed

OK I got it to work and here is how it goes. Someone with a similar problem told me to do this. Take out the processor, all PCI cards, and leave in on stick of RAM and the Rev C ROM. Try to boot the machine. You'll hear 3 beeps. Reinstall all your hardware and it should run now! Here is the deal. The old buss control chip isn't programmed to run the newer line of G3 chips faster then 233. So when installing the newer chip the buss control gets confused and the board fails to boot. By removing the processor and PCI cards and turning the machine on the Rev C ROM is allowed to reprogram the buss controller with new code from the Rev C ROM allowing the newer G3 chips to run. COOL! So for all of you with "dead" boards try it.

A.J.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.