beige g3 spec

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by woodsy51, Dec 17, 2002.

1. woodsy51 macrumors newbie

hi all

i have a power macintosh g3 ( beige ) 266Mhz the logic board is dated 1997 and just above the date there is a number that i presume is the serial/product number witch is 820-0864-b my question is will i be able to have 2 ide devices on the same ide channel ie my hdd on ide 0 and my cd-rom drive and zip drive on ide 1 ??? at the moment my cd rom drive is a old 4X Sony scsi drive and i want something a bit faster , would this system origanly of had the cd rom drive and the zip drive on the same ide channel as i know that the cd rom drive that i have at the moment is not the orignal , can anyone recomend a good ide cd rom drive for my mac that does not require a load of messing arround with the drivers to get it to work on os 9.22 and os x, also is the os cd that came with a mac g4 would that be locked to only work on a g4 system or should it work on other spec macs ???

many thanks

chris

2. Zaccoon macrumors newbie

The CD that came with your G4 should work with your beige G3. I have a beige G3 23mhz, and my friend has an upgraded beige G3 266mhz. Here are is what I have found. You will have an easy time putting one hd or cd on each ide channel. Under OS X, I have had no trouble recognizing a second HD when it is a slave to a HD master. I do not know of a good ide CD, but I would recommend a CD made by Apple. You will have the best luck getting OS X installed with a CD drive from Apple. As for putting a device as a slave to your CD, it is not recommended because CDs and HDs tend to run at different speeds. My friend has done it, but not with a whole lot of success.

Note: Something that I didn't figure out for a while: you need to adjust the jumper settings on your hds and cds to set them as slave and master vs just a single drive on the chain.

Good Luck!

3. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Re: beige g3 spec

Drivers? You shouldn't need any drives at all for a regular IDE CD drive. The CD drive doesn't even have to say 'Mac compatible' or anything. Just go for the cheapest IDE/Atapi drive you can find at your local computer store. I even upgraded a friend's beige G3 with a DVD drive, even though it's not even oficially supported. Of course, the same DVD drive won't read DVD's after the upgrade to 10.2. :mad: Oh well, at least it can still read CDs...