beige g3 spec

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by woodsy51, Dec 17, 2002.

1. woodsy51 macrumors newbie

Dec 9, 2002
    hi all

i have a power macintosh g3 ( beige ) 266Mhz the logic board is dated 1997 and just above the date there is a number that i presume is the serial/product number witch is 820-0864-b my question is will i be able to have 2 ide devices on the same ide channel ie my hdd on ide 0 and my cd-rom drive and zip drive on ide 1 ??? at the moment my cd rom drive is a old 4X Sony scsi drive and i want something a bit faster , would this system origanly of had the cd rom drive and the zip drive on the same ide channel as i know that the cd rom drive that i have at the moment is not the orignal , can anyone recomend a good ide cd rom drive for my mac that does not require a load of messing arround with the drivers to get it to work on os 9.22 and os x, also is the os cd that came with a mac g4 would that be locked to only work on a g4 system or should it work on other spec macs ???

many thanks

2. Zaccoon macrumors newbie

Jul 18, 2002
    The CD that came with your G4 should work with your beige G3. I have a beige G3 23mhz, and my friend has an upgraded beige G3 266mhz. Here are is what I have found. You will have an easy time putting one hd or cd on each ide channel. Under OS X, I have had no trouble recognizing a second HD when it is a slave to a HD master. I do not know of a good ide CD, but I would recommend a CD made by Apple. You will have the best luck getting OS X installed with a CD drive from Apple. As for putting a device as a slave to your CD, it is not recommended because CDs and HDs tend to run at different speeds. My friend has done it, but not with a whole lot of success.

Note: Something that I didn't figure out for a while: you need to adjust the jumper settings on your hds and cds to set them as slave and master vs just a single drive on the chain.

Good Luck!
  3. lmalave macrumors 68000

Nov 8, 2002
    Chinatown NYC
    Re: beige g3 spec

Drivers? You shouldn't need any drives at all for a regular IDE CD drive. The CD drive doesn't even have to say 'Mac compatible' or anything. Just go for the cheapest IDE/Atapi drive you can find at your local computer store. I even upgraded a friend's beige G3 with a DVD drive, even though it's not even oficially supported. Of course, the same DVD drive won't read DVD's after the upgrade to 10.2. :mad: Oh well, at least it can still read CDs...