Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm posting this as a take-off of @lightbulbfuns thread on Leopard on his beige G3, but I'm wondering who else on MR has a beige Mac of some sort with a G4 processor.

I have two at the moment-an 8600 with an 800mhz/1mb Sonnet and a G3 Minitower with a Sonnet 1ghz/1mb. I'm also going to put one in an all-in-one G3, although I'm not sure what it will be(probably something in the 400-500mhz range).

Reactions: LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
I may as well Fail to show off here :) I have a 400Mhz Newer Tech MaxPowr G4 ZIF 1MB L2 in my G3 beige (yeah its Powr not Power...) I also have an XLR8 ZIF slocket carrier that came with the G4 ZIF but I dont have any Mac to put it in (id love a 9600 or something like that for it :) )

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Have a sonnet 500mhz in my Power Macintosh 9600, haven't touched it in awhile as I have it in storage.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Sadly i only have a Stock Beige G3 desktop. At least its stock CPU. The previous owner upgraded the drive to 20GB, the RAM to 224mb, and the CD-ROm to a CD-RW. Runs 9.2.2 but Ran Jaguar speedy quick actually. USB card as well.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The previous owner upgraded the drive to 20GB, the RAM to 224mb, and the CD-ROm to a CD-RW.

That RAM amount is a bit of a strange number. Is it 128+64+32?

BTW, how does it do with booting off the CD-RW drive? I have it stuck in my head somewhere that these need a drive with Apple firmware to be bootable, so I've always been careful to use Apple drives when changing an optical drive in one(usually a CD-ROM or CD-RW pulled from a later tower that I've upgraded), and haven't personally experimented. I think the beige G4 in my office has a non-Apple drive but I've never even used it(I have to pop the side and remove the bezel for it to even open).

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011

BTW, how does it do with booting off the CD-RW drive? I have it stuck in my head somewhere that these need a drive with Apple firmware to be bootable, so I've always been careful to use Apple drives when changing an optical drive in one(usually a CD-ROM or CD-RW pulled from a later tower that I've upgraded), and haven't personally experimented. I think the beige G4 in my office has a non-Apple drive but I've never even used it(I have to pop the side and remove the bezel for it to even open).
That Ram Pattern you have described is correct. I thought it was odd too, but it works so i left it. I was planning on putting 3 times 256mb because i have a box load of 256mb SD RAM.
As for the Optical drive. It tends to make a loud noise or even open on start up when i take it out of storage (my closet) due to the case bezel pushing on the drives button. once i move it, the drive boots everything just fine. The only issue i had was i tried to boot os 8.1 CD with it. It ignored that, but it booted Os9 CD and I ran Jaguar 10.2 on it for a week once.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011

Here is a post about mine Beige... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/return-of-the-beige-g3.1830562/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.