Beijing and the Airpocalypse

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Jan 15, 2013.

1. macrumors 68040

bradl

Seeing the rumour that Apple is looking at a R&D Facility in Beijing, it reminded me of a story that ran on NPR's Morning Edition yesterday and today regarding smog levels in the area; Something that news reporters are deeming "the Airpocalypse":

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/14/169305324/beijings-air-quality-reaches-hazardous-levels

The NASA Earth Observatory released two images of Beijing and the surrounding area before and after the smog set in. However, I think it's more telling to see NPR's article, especially with the slider for the image, so you can slide to see before and after.

Now, with Apple being so eco-friendly, I'd have to question their motives if they indeed want to put an R&D facility in that area. Either way, in the scope of the world, this is absolutely sick (read: disgusting).

BL.

2. macrumors 601

Plutonius

I'm sure the Chinese asked for it and it's a payoff by Apple. Apple has no reason to put R&D there except they are being forced to in return for other concessions by the Chinese (most likely to get the largest cell provider to sell the iPhone).

3. macrumors 68000

Again, it is not the low wages alone or the tax dodging. It is also the lack of environmental regulations that draw corporations to China.

There will be a big scandal about the pollution generated by the many Apple and other manufacturing and assembly plants, as well as the coal-fired power they consume.

All that is regulated in the west and adds to the cost and complexity of doing business here. At some point western corporations will not be allowed to just cross a border in order to break a law.

4. macrumors 603

Well, that plus the Chinese appear to be pretty good developers.... or did you miss the story where they (inadvertently) became the best developers at a major US telecommunications company for a number of years in a row.