Being old will suck.

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Mar 30, 2005.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Fascinating article
    http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/200505/mann

Considering that people are living longer, what do you think the quality of life will be when or if you reach that age?
    I don't know about you all but I don't want get old and decrepit and become a burden to anyone.
    I don't buy into this live to a ripe old age bologna. I fear the old folks home more than I fear death itself. Sitting catatonic all day and eating apple sauce then go change your Depends undergarments. A long slow death if you ask me.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Pretty much once I can't do for myself, it's over for me. I don't want to continue. Anything over 40 <coughs loudly> is downhill anyway. :p

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

I don't think it's unrealistic to assume we can remain reasonably vibrant well into our 80's, and perhaps beyond, given the pace of today's medical technology.

My wife's grandmother is going on 96 years old, and she still lives by herself and does very well. Granted, she doesn't drive, and is somewhat hobbled, but doesn't require a walker, wheelchair, or cane. Her mental capacity is excellent - she's still sharp as a whip, and I enjoy conversing with her. If I can be like that when I'm older, I'll be quite happy.

No, I wouldn't want to live in a state where I need to rely on others to change my diapers, but I hope that if I continue to take care of myself, that won't be the case.

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Speak for yourself decay-boy, personally, I'm fitter at 41 than I was at 30, sure it's harder to stay fit, and injury takes longer to heal, but I'm damned if I'm going to be fat, fifty and f***ed... :D ;)

The more you do, the more you CAN do, and that applies to the mind too.

Sure, I might get Alzhiemers, but I won't know much about that, and I can always walk off a cliff before I forget how to walk.

Death and degeneration are the only sure things boys and girls, better get ready for it.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm more than a decade past 40 and doing very well thank you. My mother was self sufficient till she was 83. It was just the last year of her life that she had problems. It was only the last few months of her condition, that I wouldn't want to live that way.

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Agreed. My grandfather is in his mid-70s, plays tennis 4 times a week, and manages to beat people my age (I'm not quite 30 yet). According to his doctor, he has the health of a 45 year old.

Doubly agreed. We haven't quite made it to the utopia of the Star Trek world where everyone is still spry at 95. I really don't relish the thought of being 90 and reliant on 30 different medications just to make it through the day.

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I have an 88 year old grandmother who, other than the fact that she has never had a driver's license is still completely self-sufficient. She just had to get a set of hearing aids, as her mid-range and high-range hearing has declined in the past decade, but she it a very remarkable woman, and I only hope that I'm in half as good shape at 88.

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I just hope that they figure out how to unattach my brain from my body, freeze it, and then re-attach it to a brand new, maybe genetically cloned from myself, body. Then I'd be nearly immortal. MWAHAHAHA

... *ahem*...

Only when my mind becomes irrepairably damaged do I want to die.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

No worries here.
    My genes have me dying of cancer at least before I'm 80, possibly before 60.

All the more reason to plan retirement at 50ish.

Social Secur-what?

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The way things are going for the majority, living longer will only help Walmart with their staffing. Since we seem to be set on disregarding the elderly, as long as we can have ours now.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

old age does creep me out a bit more than death

as long as i lived happily, have that happiness to share with the ones i love, and can be as independent as possible is all i want

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Getting old sucks, but it sure beats the alternative.

13. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Once I need help walking around I am going to shoot myself.

14. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I live in a new little cul-de-sac. There are 2 retired couples who have moved in. One in their mid 70's the other in their 80's. They travel, comeby to play with my kids and drink some wine, one "lil old lady" is usually out gardening and spent 2 hours with a shovel digging the other day.

It has kept me in wonder, I pray to do as well.

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

ROFLOL!!! :p :p :p

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

until your hip goes out from you ignoring the pain! haha

but i do agree that many people have a tendency to just 'give up' later on in life, i think its a combination of mindset and staying active

18. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

My grandfather is 85 years old and somehow manages too chop cotton in the summer. My grandmother is 85 as well and works daily in her garden. I would be blessed to live such a life...

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The way we look at aging is evolving. The aging of the baby boomer will have many effects, hopefully for the good.

20. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Yes. Great time to invest in drug companies and health care providers. The population is aging rapidly.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

40? I feel sorry for all those old farts over 25. :D

Staying young? :confused:

22. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I think the alternative is dying... :cool:

Yeah, getting old looks pretty depressing, but there's no telling what the world will be like in 50 years (if there is a world :eek: ), so who knows?

scem0

23. Toreador93 macrumors regular

I have few fears in life...and one of them is growing old. Unless you have a lot of kids, you probably won't get many visits, and I would imagine getting really lonely.

Also, my body has all sorts of aches now, mostly back and knees (at age 22), so I'm sure it'll be many times worse when I'm 50 or 60.

I don't look forward go growing old. Hopefully stem cell research will advance enough to give me some new body parts (generating new teeth will be commercial in the next decade - loosing teeth is another fear of mine). Otherwise, I couldn't bear to live such a miserable and lonely life.

24. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I have a similar situation with a 93 year old grandmother living on her own, only bathroom on 2nd floor. Still kicking and sharp and self sufficient - I think the key is to stay away from the doctors - once you go they find stuff wrong due to your age to get insurance kickbacks. A few years back my gmom went to the doctor for a leg problem - first time in 55 years - all of a sudden she is put on the daily pill box diet for stuff she doesn't have, but is prescribed as a prevenative measure...WTF! We have an RN in the family that we had check her out from time to time so that is how I know she didn't have high blood pressure and all, yet they prescribe medication to control it.

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The issue of loneliness is something that our society has allowed to happen. No longer are families, for multiple reasons, living even in the same state any more. And even if they live in the same city, it is a "duty" to go visit, not a pleasure