Being safe from the bad people

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Solafaa, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I will be moving into an apartment in London in a year or so and would like to know what i will need to be safe (from virues and people steeling my bandwidth). My friend would move in with me so i would be using a rotuer to connect 2 macs and 1 PeeCee, the macs are both laptops so i will connect them wirelessly and the PC desktop would be connected via ethernet. What will i needto be safe. Should i get a software or hardware firewall? how can i be safe from someone trying to steel my bandwidth?

I am not technical at all so i need help in this department.

Thank you.

EDITED: Do you know any fast ISPs in London with lots of bandwidth?

2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Setting up a secure wireless network should keep people out. To keep those who are already in, out (your roommates), don't share any of your folders, and activate the firewall(s) built into your compters. There should be plenty of help and options on the wireless setup to secure your systems.

4. OryHara macrumors regular

not to sound like a freeloading hippie but whats wrong with sharing your bandwidth, unless of course your downloading/uploading massive amounts of data

5. macorama macrumors regular

check out http://adslguide.org/ for info on London ISPs. It's hard to choose, since if one is fast, then everyone signs up and it gets slow...

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Because many of the ISPs in the UK now have bandwidth limits. And because while I'd like to believe that other people would share my ethics in terms of not downloading illegal material, not trying to snoop into my files or not using my connection to be an anonymous internet user while spamming or planning nefarious activities, I've decided to be safe rather than sorry and closed my network.

7. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

I use http://www.virgin.net - its not the cheapest (but its not bad) but you dont have to sign into a 1 year contract. They even give you a crappy Speedtouch modem for free.

8. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

You want to be safe in London?!? A city?!? Egads! Not possible.

Wired networking is safer than wireless.
    Mac is safer than Windows.

On the wireless, enable encryption, do a closed network and lock the network to the Wi-Fi card ID's. How depends on your software but the settings are there in most (all?) cases.

On the firewall issue, what you have on the Mac, especially behind NAT and DHCP from Airport is excellent.

I would not let the PC's near the internet. Turn off Internet services on them. Use the Macs for the Internet. There are ways of improving Windows security but it is so full of holes you will have a hard time in succeeding in making it as safe as the Mac, if at all.

Simple solution is to dump the PCs or use them unconnected.

9. joeconvert macrumors 6502

This was a very informative post until I got to this point. Windows isn't perfect, but neither is it near as bad as it is puported to be on this and many other discussion sites. I fear that as the Mac market share rises, so will the security problems of many Mac users that have the above outlook on Widows. The best defense for any operating system on a public network is understandign the real threats and deploying countermeasures to those threats. Mac OS X has a number of superb features that aidein securing the platform thanks to its BSD/Unix heritage, but it is far from infalable.

10. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

The security of MacOSX has little to do with market share but rather the fact that Apple does not ship quite as buggy as system with anywhere near as many open security holes. And when one is found they are pretty fast to close it. Even if the Mack was 99% of the market this would still be true.

Agreed. And it is a lot better than Windows, praise the Jobs. :)

11. OryHara macrumors regular

fair enough

12. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I agree with you when it comes to not downloading illegal stuff like music or film. what I think is wrong though is the fact that tv show based bt sites have been shut down.. how is it wrong to d/l a tv show? you can turn on your tv anytime and watch a local channel totally free.

I like to download the dailyshow each day at work and watch it during lunch. where is the harm in that?

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I don't see much harm but the broadcaster might. The Daily Show is not carried on local channels totally free.

14. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I dont want to be 100% safe, that is not possible i know but i would like to be as safe as possible.

How can i limit the number of wireless users able to get into my network?

15. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Three ways

1) Do not broadcast your network SSID, thus people passing by will not 'see' your network.
    2) Make sure you turn on WPA encryption (much better than WEP encryption) - this will mean that computers will need the access key to be able to connect to your network.
    3) Set up the router to only accept connections from computers with hardware (MAC) addresses that you specify.

These 3 things should make it very hard for non-authorized computers to connect to your network.

16. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Ok perfect, but one thing how do i do all that? do i need any sofware or hardware?

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You'll do all of it on your wifi router. Virtually all current ones have settings to allow you to do this - including the Airports.

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

MAC (media access control not short for macintosh) address filtering would be a good idea (means only computers with MAC addresses (aka yours) on the pass lint can use the network.

19. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

They don't give you the show for free, they grant you to watch it at a time of their choosing, and by means of communication of their choosing. You are allowed to tape the show and watch it later. This is the often-heard-about "fair use": You make a personal copy for private use. Downloading is not just making a copy of the broadcast, but taking part in an illegal file sharing activity. Since the owner of the copyright didn't grant you the right to do so, you are not allowed to do so.

If I have a book you want to read, I can let you read it, or not. It's my decision.

I admit that it's hard to understand the difference between merchandise and intellectual property. I've written a theater piece, and right now it's being performed and they don't want to pay me royalties. They claim, I had written it anyway, so where's the harm? I need to find a lawyer, everything, a lot of hassle. This ongoing filesharing discussion "There is no intellectual property" is going to kill whole branches in the creative business. Thank you very much.