Being that boot camp is a BETA version....

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by penter, Jun 17, 2006.

1. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

Hey guys, this is my first ever post, so excuse me for anything :)

Being that Boot Camp is a beta version, i assume it may not be fully de-bugged.... Apple says it will not assists us in case we mess up our computers due to the use of bootcamp. What i want to know is if there are any risks of damaging my computer due to the Boot Camp´s use. Is it a reliable? Is there really a risk of damaging my computer due to the fact that Boot Camp is a beta version??
    Also, is this a limited time free trial type of thing, or can i keep using Windows for as long as i want.
    Lastly, can someone give me a clear explanation as to what differentiates FAT32 from NTFS? I know this has been talked about in previous threads, but i didnt really understand it... does FAT32 mean that i can transfer files from the Mac OS X to Windows(or vise versa) while with NTFS i can't?

2. WorldIRC123 macrumors newbie

NTFS is more secure than FAT32 and is also more space efficient..however, due to the security, MAC OS X cannot write to NTFS drives. Therefore, FAT32 is what you need to use if you need MAC to write to Windows drive. Both partitions can be read in MAC OS.

3. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

very easy to partition and install... worst case scenario can be fixed by re-installing osx.... so go ahead and try it out.... ;)

4. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Using it on my MB. No problems to date, easy to install and guides you all the way. I have a dual system application that would be laggy to use under Rosetta so I installed it in XP and it's fine :)

Look forward to it being part of Leopard.

5. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Expires next year, but by then, you would have upgraded to 10.5, so no problem.

6. Shadowspirit6 macrumors regular

aww so you can only use it up until next year, i thought we keep it as long as we want :confused:

7. penter thread starter macrumors 6502a

penter

are there any downsides to this at all, cuz it seems to good to be true!

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Bootcamp is only a partitioning program. Once you partition it you don't need it anymore. Windows can be installed on intel Macs without bootcamp - but without bootcamp for the initial setup then you can't have OSX and Windows on the same hdd.

9. reh macrumors 6502a

That's a bit incorrect. Mac OS X (or any other non-MS OS) can not write to a NTFS drive because Microsoft is not releasing the specs on the file system.

10. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

It's interesting that Boot Camp is not mentioned on Apple's Get a Mac page anymore, instead they recommend Parallels Desktop.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/windows.html

Notice there's no Parallel's icon in the dock either. Hmmm.... :eek:

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That is strange! Maybe it's because Parallels supports their released product, while Apple doesn't actively support BC which is a Beta.

B

12. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Or Apple is going to buy them out or get some type of license to include it in Leopard.