Being too ambitious? (twitter app)

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by njmitchel0, Jun 12, 2013.

1. macrumors member

May 21, 2008
    Ok, so I have an event coming up and would like to create a full screen app to stream twitter hashtags from the evening. I would also like to place a couple of curated messages. Here is an extremely basic mockup of what I am looking to do

for section 1, (2/3 of screen) I want to pull all twitter messages of a given hash tag (tbd) in real time. I would like the user name, actual tweet, and if there is a pic in the tweet, that to be displayed as well.
    for section 2, Id like it to flash a series of predetermined messages. will not change at all. Id imagine this is not the hard part.

Now I know basic html/css3....Am I being too ambitious? is this doable with my limited knowledge of programming and can be done in the next 2-3 weeks? I want something super basic, nothing special, fade tweet in, fade out, next fades in, and so on. Maybe you could point me in the right direction?
    I know there are programs/services that offer what I'm asking for, however they are either doing too much, not enough, charge to customize to the point I want. Any help is seriously appreciated, thanks!
  2. macrumors regular

Aug 12, 2008
    Cambridge, UK
    Wouldn't be too difficult to create in 2-3 weeks if you knew the basics of Obj-C (might be possible to code as you go if you have a decent book), using something like MGTwitterEngine to handle the gathering of tweets it would mostly be about getting the UI to function as you want it to.

If you desperately need something you could have a look at Klipfolio. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two to setup what you're after, full screen a browser window and job done (there's a 2 week trial after that it's $20 a month for 1 user).