Belatedly installing Packages?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by aldous, Jun 13, 2004.

1. aldous macrumors newbie

Hi,

sorry for that stupid question:
    I forgot to select Garageband when I installed MacOS X.
    Now, after two weeks of working with it, and really setting it up so it fits my needs, i realised Garageband is not there..
    I tried to manully select the .dmg from the second MacOS 10.3.3 Installation-CD that came with my new PB 12", but it seems those are not packages which can be installed manually.
    The MacOS X Installer states that it would reinstall my system when i ask it to reinstall the packages - but i _really_ don't want to set up everything again from scratch. I just want that single package.
    I was hoping 'Pacifist' would help me, but the Garageband packages are no .pkg's...

Sorry again for that stupid question, I just recently switched from linux and despite the familiar core, the way of installing software is.. well :) very different.

how could i do that?
    thanks a lot,
    aldous

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK. What happened to the OS that shipped on your machine?

3. aldous thread starter macrumors newbie

Uhm.. I erased it completely to install Debian GNU/Linux just to find out that my beloved Linux can't get this puppy to sleep, has no graphic acceleration due to the lack of nvidia linux-ppc drivers; but worst: no airport extreme support, which I depend on.. (and some other issues)

But anyway, is it that unusual to erase the system that was pre-installed to do it oneself? I further needed the X11 support - that's a thing i didn't forget to select.

Or is that all a misunderstanding, and I can't install Garageband at all from the recovery CDs? I just played with it for some minutes before i erased the harddisk - so it _was_ there, so I though I could get it again..

thanks
    aldous