Belgian GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Blackadder, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

This must be a duplicate thread - but I can't find another, so...

Poor Juan, poor Fisi...Pizzonia you pillock! (David Hobbes' words)

The championship is still alive, barely.

Button on the podium, and for a minute there I thought Ralf was going to be third, but then he went with the dry tires. :confused:

Massa, Pizzonia, and Ralf all tried the dry tires and paid for it - though Barrichello finished the race in 5th on the dry tires.

What's up with the tire changes anyway? All the sudden a glimpse of the good old days...

And a Jordan in the points!

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

The first race for some time that tyre changes was part of a strategic plan! :cool:
    Too bad for those who tried the dry ones..... quite a gamble that turned out to be.

Minardi also took a gamble. They were hoping for more rain, and started from the pits running on all wets. Bad call that one too.... (being Dutch I follow those riders too.. probably last year now that Minardi is sold :( )

Must say that Raikkonen combined with a good McLaren really is the recipe for World Champ. He's fastest. No doubt.
    But a good Renault, together with a pretty fortunate and talented driver will win it this year... ;)

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Very interesting race. Once again, I couldn't watch it on TV, but I managed to catch it on the 'net. Yay for Webber is all I can say. It's about time he go an okay position.

4. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I see that Pizzonia is blaming the crash on Montoya. From the angle that the Speed channel coverage had it looked like Pizzonia just punted him (especially since Pizzonia was on dry tires).

And how about Schuey having a little exchange with Sato after their crash? Gave him a nice little tap on the helmet.

5. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

He might have taken a podium if he'd stayed with the intermediate tires, though Button was pretty fast today.

Seeing this race just reminds me how much I actually miss the tire changes - it really makes the race more fun to watch. You hear, FIA?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Couldn't agree more. F1 is still verging on boring. It needs everything it can get to keep the fans interested IMO.

7. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

The galling thing for Button must be the fact that if he hadn't had to go back in for inters after they put slicks on with the safety car, he could well have had 2nd.

Mind, there are few who could claim that sort of thing - Ralf, Trulli etc

I agree with you on the tire changes, although I can see how it saves a load of cash. However with the death of Minardi (just leaving Jordan as a privateer) maybe costs might not be so high up the FIA list?

8. link92 macrumors 6502

Well, Sato got a 10 place grid penalty at Brazil, and Pizzonia an $8000 fine...

My rant about F1:

Remove Parc Ferme. With the cars not being dismantled each night, reliability has improved, so now finishing the race is less of a challenge, and it makes it less exciting. Take Monza, a week ago, for example - First race since 1961 when all cars finished.

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

as Ferdinand Porsche said: the best racing car is the one who falls apart after the finishing line

10. iGav macrumors G3

Gotta love Spa... always throws up some entertainment. :p

To be fair it wasn't the FIA's idea though... it was Michelins. :mad:

Highlights for me... Button :eek: I think that was his greatest drive ever, going round the outside of Jacques :eek: as Brundle said... 'he's starting to hang it out a little' and he's all the better for it. ;)

I bet Montoya's pi**ed though, he's just starting to get on Kimi's pace and the old team orders kick in, he was creaming the field yesterday until the voice from above sent the divine message :p I do think next year will be much closer between the two of them... especially if he can have more input into next years car and rid it of it's understeer characteristics that Kimi prefers.

The hypocrisy of McLaren though is truly f**king astounding.... not only regarding their previous comments on letting their drivers 'race' :rolleyes: but also the criticism they're flinging at Renault, especially regarding Fisi's qualifying 'tactics'... yet completely ignoring Kimi backing up the field on entering the pitlane. :mad: I still can't believe they haven't won the title already such is the dominance of the car, that must be why they're so frustrated. :p they're making it look so hard... with by far and away the fastest car.

And all the time Alonso is just cruising to the title. :eek:

11. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The Speed Channel announcers didn't really dwell on him much, but every time the race order was posted there he was, hanging out near the top.

He may have taken the race instead of crashing out... :(

Juan Pablo is still probably my favorite driver, he shows flashes of brilliance and I like his more agressive style.

All's fair in love and war...and F1. Every team has its "standing orders", or would if their drivers were closely matched. In Renault's case they'll never need to pull a stunt like Maclaren did (or Ferrari was famous for the last few years) because Fisi has rotten luck. Poor b*stard, I'll bet Flavio really busted his b*lls after that crash...it would have been a near disaster had Juan Pablo not gotten punted.

Race highlight for me: David Hobbs calling Pizzonia a pillock after knocking Montoya out of the race. :p

12. iGav macrumors G3

Yeah, he had an impressive race. The Jacques move was top quality... and he pulled a nice clean move on Barrichello as well coming in to the Bus Stop. He's finally showing a bit more agression now... there's more passion in his driving.

No chance... he was told to ease off way before the 2nd set of stops (that's the only way Kimi was going to catch him up) had team orders not played their devine intervention he'd have walked it. Easily.

No doubt he's an excellent driver... I think this year he's just had problems of one kind or another, he missed races because of his shoulder injury and he's gone on record as saying that he's had to adapt his style to suit the car because it's been designed for Kimi, who likes his understeer. If the car was more edgy then I suspect we might just see a role reversal in positions. He'd be a good teammate with Schu, both like their cars on the edgy side.

I do wish he'd whine less though... BUT he does come up with some quality comments when he's being interviewed. :p

I agree... the only thing is team orders are now illegal, and after years of hearing Ferrari being lambasted for using team orders (when they were legal) it's just massively irritating to see the teams that pontificated against them in the past, and are now implementing them.

But they did in Turkey ;) they told Alonso to overtake Fisi, and he just cruised by... plain to hear as it was broadcast on TV. :eek:

And judging by the radio transmissions from Alonso at the Canadian GP, had Flavio not hit the 'Fisi Self Destruct' button he has on his pitwall, then I suspect we'd have seen team orders then... in the end Alonso was so frustrated that he stacked it into the wall a few laps later. :p

Did you guys get to see the entire incident? we only got to see just as Jungle Boy smacked Montoya, and then them spinning off... not the rest of the build up to the incident.

But then... we were also on a commercial break when Fisi went for spin. :eek:

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually seeing how Raikonnen put out those fastest laps every round it was pretty clear that he will end up in front of montoya ... and after the stop montoya wasn't fast enough to keep up with the fin ...heck even Klien had faster times than Montoya in the end

that aside i think the slowing down in the pit lane was simply needed to make both stops immediately and not loosing lot of positions like when they would make the 2nd stop when all cars are lined up behind the SC..
    Lauda said he would have made it no different

personally i have no problem with the pit overtaking strategy of mercedes ... everybody in their position would have done the same
    (personally i think the "no team orders" rule is ridiculous .. just like the no tire switching)

14. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Exactly.

All true, the "tennis" injury was a farce, he only has himself to blame. I forsee quite a bit of tenison for McLaren if Montoya really hits his stride next season, I know nothing could be like Prost/Senna, but shades of it here.

Ah, How soon I forget! "you're faster than Fisi, overtake him"...hyposcrisy. But not unexpected, I guess. Any team that's in a postion to benefit from it will do it, verboten or no.

Not exactly. The cameras snapped to the two cars a moment before Montoya braked and Pizzonia had his nose in the worst possible spot...but it really looked like Pizzonia was just too close, given he was on dry tires. McLaren claims that Pizzonia waved Montoya by then immediately tried to pass him, which sounds unlikely. Odd. :confused:

The Fisi crash was perplexing. Approaching the corner he just nicked the edge a bit before spinning, but it didn't look like anything that would unsettle the car.

15. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

Fisi had gone off earlier in the lap, so may well have either picked up something to reduce the overall grip, or his tires could have been going south.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually during the GP2 race another driver (forgot his name) crash exactly the same way in the eau rouge ... both crashes looked nearly the same the F1 one was faster thou
    because of the high speed and G forces in the corner any slight loss of traction might result in a crash
    he drove over the white don't-know-how-they-are-called-in-english -> lost grip on one back tire -> car gets nervous and loses balance
    combined with rather bad traction and fisi driving close to the limit it wasn't that surprising

the eau rouge is still a corner you've gotta respect

17. link92 macrumors 6502

Anyone else remember Fisi's win at Brazil in '03? Car caught fire when he reached the pit box :)

18. iGav macrumors G3

yep... :) slight problem though... the race was stopped early.