Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Hey all,

I am attempting to connect my macbook core 2 duo to a F5D7630 Belkin 54g router. It works with other belkins but for some reason will just not work with this one. There are hundreds of people on net who have same problem, was wondering if anyone here knew a solution. Whatever I do (i'm no novice at networks//setting up routers) it still doesn't work.

Help.
Thanks

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
hehe.

Ok so far.

With WEP/Without WEP With WPA/Without WPA. Off MAC Address filtering/On MAC filtering. New wireless SSID, new wireless channel. Turned off proprietry Belkin things like Nitro g. Restarted router. Turned router off/on. Updated firmware.

The MacBook connects fine to other networks, just not this one. Others have had similar problems. I've emailed Belkin, hopefully they'll reply and make a new firmware!

t0mb0

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2006
There are many people on the apple discussion forums with the same trouble. The C2D macbook cannot connect to certain third party basestations. Because this is true in both windows and OS X, I believe it is a firmware issue with the pre-n cards in the newer macbooks. As it happens with only some third party basestations, it is easy to write-off as a problem with the basestations, however, it is documented that loads of other computers (including ibooks etc.) connect just fine. I don't know whether apple are working on a fix, or even acknowledge this as a problem.

ruzzian

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2005
Southsea, UK
I'm having a similar problem with my new Belkin N1 wireless router. I have a Powerbook G4 15" 1.33 and it just will not connect to the wireless at all. I've tried all the same approaches as you and nothing. However, mine connects fine to the wireless at my work. Does anybody know anymore about pre-n connection problems with apples? I'd really appreciate some guidance if anyone has some.

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
Have you try changing your WPA password with something that starts with a "$"?

ruzzian

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2005
Southsea, UK
Have you try changing your WPA password with something that starts with a "$"?

Yeah. Still doesnt work. I also learnt that for some reason most mac's dont like the 64bit hex WEP's and will only connect with a 128bit one. Cant understand that myself. My powerbook has an airport card (pressumabley that is .11b?) and the router is set at .11b+g+n. I have tried setting the router to just g but that also doesnt work. I am pretty sure something is not set right on my powerbook as my PSP connects to my router fine wirelessly.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
having same problem

glad i stumbled into this thread. can't seem to connect my macbook to the net ethier. my family thinks it's some stupid windows solution, but i know it's not. looks like it's some kind of stupid flaw...grr. any solutions?

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
actually, nix that last statement...internet is working fine, and after some understanding from my windows parents, they got me up and running fine. thanks.

btw, i'm on the mac right now. name tbd.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
I'm having this problem too but only at my university which supposedly uses access points from Symbol Technologies. My campus network services staff are puzzled and are looking to get some help from their Apple reps.

Apple has briefly acknowledged this problem here but the article appears to voice problems coming from the manufacturers of third-party wireless routers.

I may be wrong, but it's either that Apple needs another AirPort firmware update or it's up to third-party venders to update their router/APs firmware to communicate properly with the new AirPort cards in the Core 2 Duo laptops (assuming if Apple thinks nothing is wrong with their AirPort). :(

ruzzian

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2005
Southsea, UK
Try setting your router to b only

Heh done that too. Still no joy. I originally thought it was a problem with the ISP/router setup and the MAC addresses as primarily the router is connected to my iMac. The powerbook is a secondary connector.

MatthewConnelly

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2006
Manchester, UK
I've got the exact same router, and so does my next door neighbour. I spent an hour on the phone with Apple support and pretty much concluded that it must be the router. I tried all possible combination of settings, and it didn't work. Doesn't connect to my neighbour's wireless as well, and he has the same model. I know AirPort is working thought because it connects to other people's wireless networks that the MacBook detects.

I took the plunge and just bought the router that Eraserhead recommended in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/261172/

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
had same problem with my mb. had a "free" zyxel router hooked up at home. my emac works fine with it. other computers work on it too. macbook won't even recognize it's there.
but the macbook works fine everywhere else (coffee shops, etc.)
ok, so mb card has minor flaw connecting to non-apple devices. bought airport and now works fine.
not really pissed. it's just the way life works sometimes- not everything is perfect (not even apple). got bigger things to worry about and will get back to it later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.